newbie kid bent question

cori_rivers

New Member
Jul 11, 2003
I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I've got another question. I'm thinking about a bike for my 9yo daughter. I saw the Quetzal Inca on ebay for $230 new, but noticed some BikeE's for not much more. Can you adjust a BikeE to a short rider? It seems like the BikeE is higher quality. I know the company went under, but if the bike'll work why not. Any thoughts? I'm not a recumbent rider - we've been tandeming on a Bike Friday, but child #2 wants to tandem & I though #1 should move on to her own bike. A recumbent should be cool enough so she'll still be into it.

As someone who has never liked BikeEs before they went glug I would have to say that getting your
child a BikeE as her 1st bent is a really good idea. The Quetzal Inca is NOT a true recumbent and if
you have the opportunity now to make your kid bent...do it.
*****************************
"cori_rivers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I've got another question. I'm thinking about
> a bike for my 9yo daughter. I saw the Quetzal Inca on ebay for $230 new, but noticed some BikeE's
> for not much more. Can you adjust a BikeE to a short rider? It seems like the BikeE is higher
> quality. I know the company went under, but if the bike'll work why not. Any thoughts? I'm not a
> recumbent rider - we've been tandeming on a Bike Friday, but child #2 wants to tandem & I though
> #1 should move on to her own bike. A recumbent should be cool enough so she'll still be into it.

The Standard BikeE will adjust for a 4'9 to 6'1' rider as I recall from thier advertising. One Cavet
however is it is higher off the ground than say an EZ-1, so it maybe a bit of a stretch for a 9 year
old. I would still have my BikeE if my wife had longer legs, she just couldn't reach the ground.
Mine was an XL so maybe it was a bit taller than a standard. If you can find one for her to try I
would suggest it. BikeE owners are usually eager to give out first rides, they are so easy to
adjust. IMO it is an Ideal bike for a kid. It's cool looking, simple, and will adjust to fit the kid
for many years. The Quality of the later ones in my opinion is not as good as the pre-2000 models (
I liked the aircraft rivets better), but others may disagree. Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not
Broken www.recumbentstuff.com

"cori_rivers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I've got another question. I'm thinking about
> a bike for my 9yo daughter. I saw the Quetzal Inca on ebay for $230 new, but noticed some BikeE's
> for not much more. Can you adjust a BikeE to a short rider? It seems like the BikeE is higher
> quality. I know the company went under, but if the bike'll work why not. Any thoughts? I'm not a
> recumbent rider - we've been tandeming on a Bike Friday, but child #2 wants to tandem & I though
> #1 should move on to her own bike. A recumbent should be cool enough so she'll still be into it.

I got a BikeE for my son when he was 10yo. The bike will definely adjust to handle a small person. However when the seat is adusted that far forward the steering gets a little twitchy. So be a little extra cafeful on the first few rides until she gets a feel for the bike.

The recalls that put BikeE into bankruptcy were due to the fork cracking and the seat frame cracking on the newer, taller seats. I figured that wouldn't be a problem for a 90lb kid, but might be for a 200lb adult.