Newbie looking at Mavic ES

gregerson13

Jan 18, 2007
I am looking at a new pair of Mavic ES wheels and when I was at the shop I spun the wheel and it turned for a while but seemed to slow somewhat fast at the end. The owner of the store said that they have "very low inertia" and that this is "good" for starts, braking, hills and control. The current wheels I have (very cheap) want to spin forever and I assumed that was a good thing. Does it sound like this guy knows what he is talking about because I definately don't.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie. . . .

I have spec'd my new bike with the ES's and I do love them. I know my old wheels are 14 year old with Ultegra hubs and when I spin them vs. the ES it is night and day as the ES feel like there is less resistance or friction. As for riding, they are a dream for climbing, fast, rigid, yet comfortable. I only have about 500k on them, and they need a little adjustment as they were previously new from the box.

I would highly recommend, other than price.

Check out the review:
cyclingnews review of Ksyrium ES

Unfortunately, I am considering getting rid of mine, only cause I'm seriously thinking about a Powertab SL 2.4 hub, and they can't be built with the ES rims and proprietary spokes.