Newbie looking for advice on purchase of a new road bike

The folks at rec.bicycles.racing told me I'd get help here, so here are
my questions:
Hi, I am new to this forum and love road biking; I recently moved from
New Orleans to the Chapel Hill area and I need to purchase a Road bike,
unfortunately I am super price sensitive and know little about brands:
I need advice!

Here's what I am looking at:
a Scattante or Tirreno with Shimano 105 rear deraileur for about $780

Or a Trek 1000 or a Specialized Allez Elite triple for $650 but without
Shimano 105 parts, just Tiagra...

All bikes are similar besides the derailleur/cranksets as in aluminum
frame & carbon forks...

So should I spring for the extra cash and get the better materials on
the lesser name bikes or stick with the Trek or Specialized with lesser
parts?
I'd love to hear anyone's advice or better yet, if there are any other
bikes I should be looking at --better deals....

Thanks!

[email protected] wrote:
> The folks at rec.bicycles.racing told me I'd get help here, so here are
> my questions:
> Hi, I am new to this forum and love road biking; I recently moved from
> New Orleans to the Chapel Hill area and I need to purchase a Road bike,
> unfortunately I am super price sensitive and know little about brands:
> I need advice!
>
> Here's what I am looking at:
> a Scattante or Tirreno with Shimano 105 rear deraileur for about $780
>
> Or a Trek 1000 or a Specialized Allez Elite triple for $650 but without
> Shimano 105 parts, just Tiagra...
>
> All bikes are similar besides the derailleur/cranksets as in aluminum
> frame & carbon forks...
>
> So should I spring for the extra cash and get the better materials on
> the lesser name bikes or stick with the Trek or Specialized with lesser
> parts?
> I'd love to hear anyone's advice or better yet, if there are any other
> bikes I should be looking at --better deals....
>
> Thanks!

Two things to remember-FIT is the most important thing and-#2-in most
bike shops, there are no 'bad' bikes.

Less expensive bikes often come from bike shops that cannot/willnot do
a bike fit. It's a "ride up and down the street", type fit which is not
a fit at all.

If there is a bike shop that will do a fit on you, even on the bike you
are interested in, get you on it, ensure the seat height/fore-aft/stem
height, length, etc, is correct...then that's a good thing. If not,
look for a shop that will do a sizing on you, and then go to other bike
shop armed with that information, and have them match it. If they give
you a thousand yard stare, go elsewhere. Frame material, components,
etc, the 'bike' matters little when compared to a good fitting
bicycle. It doesn't really matter if ya get a
Trek/Specialized/Giant/put name of bike here with whatever shimano type
stuff on it.....get the one that fits ya.

> Trek/Specialized/Giant/put name of bike here with whatever shimano type
> stuff on it.....get the one that fits ya.

Ok. Os I just need to go to the "dealership" shop and ask for a
fitting? Sounds like a v. good idea (assuming I got it).

Thanks!

I'll do it today!

[email protected] wrote:
> > Trek/Specialized/Giant/put name of bike here with whatever shimano type
> > stuff on it.....get the one that fits ya.

> Ok. Os I just need to go to the "dealership" shop and ask for a
> fitting? Sounds like a v. good idea (assuming I got it).
>
> Thanks!
>
> I'll do it today!

As Peter suggested, go to several shops. What constitutes "fitting"
varies wildly from shop to shop (and, often, from staff person to staff
person). IMO, if you find a shop where the "fitting" consists of having
you stand over the bike and pulling up on the bars until the top tube
touchs your crotch, tune them out.

[email protected] wrote:
>> Trek/Specialized/Giant/put name of bike here with whatever shimano type
>> stuff on it.....get the one that fits ya.

> Ok. Os I just need to go to the "dealership" shop and ask for a
> fitting? Sounds like a v. good idea (assuming I got it).
>
> Thanks!
>
> I'll do it today!

Peter White of Peter White Cycles has a nice article on fitting a bike.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

BC