Newbie looking for an entry level MTB

MTU 5.0

Jul 11, 2007
I am looking for a bike that will see a mix of light trail and on-road activity. I am set on a MTB having had one that I enjoyed about 15 years ago and do not wish to look for a hybrid of some kind.

I would like to get a hardtail, 21 speeds is fine, don't need disc brakes, but requirements are an aluminum frame and moderate weight. (I would love the have the bike be on the light side, but I know that may not be feasible at my price point - see below.)

Right now, I have around $300 to spend, but I could push that to $400 if I had too. I read some good reviews on the Schwinn Mesa GSD, but I'm not sure if they still make it and I had heard that Schwinn was sold to Pacific. I haven't had much sucess finding a Mesa in my LBS. I briefly looked at the Trek 3900, but only for a moment while I was bike shopping with my wife for a bike for her. I also checked out the IBEX website, but their $400 bike is out of stock until the 08's arrive in November and I am looking to buy in the next couple of weeks.

Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

do you live in the states? if so check out www.craigslist.org there might be a city near you on there with sales, jobs, chat, etc. i see a LOT of bike deals on good shape bikes in there all the time in my area. 400 for a MTB isnt going to get you much. In fact i have around 1k into mine (that was 6 years ago though) and i built it up with a full LX group, minus brakes and chain. I wouldnt go any lower than Deore for off-roading. actually, I wouldnt go any less than LX, mine has worked flawlessly, umm untill i let it go out of tune, haha operator error...

Trek, Specialized, Giant, Gary fisher, Jamis should all have bikes in your price range if you look around. however they will be bottom of the line "good" bikes.

my mtb hardtail is pretty light for aluminum (25lbs) but feels like a tank compared to my road bike...hehe

I wish you luck, and hope you find something in your price range. stay away from *mart bikes...

Merida are also making some good value hardtails in their TFS series.
Merida and Giant seem to use similar technology (probably because they are both owned by the same company)

Thanks for the responses and yes, I should have pointed out that I am in the US. Unfortunately, craigslist doesn't have much to offer at the moment probably because we are in the middle of the summer season. I have a few more bike shops to check out, but so far Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, and Specialized are the brands I am focusing on. I did look at KHS and Cannondale, but they were waiting for 08' models to show up.

Well, I have looked at & ridden Gary Fisher's and Specialized, but I still need to look at Trek's lineup and then I will make a decision.

Gary Fisher - Decided I liked the Wahoo. Price is $399.99US

Specialized - Decided I liked the Hardrock Sport. Price is $369.99US

Trek's I am going to look at are the 3900, 4300, and the 4500. Don't have prices yet on those.

Any opinions between these five models???

I am far from an expert, but just last week I bought a Gary Fisher Advance mtb, and I am very pleased. The list price was $340 and I got it for $270. I'm a 6' guy but I bought a women's 18" and I find that with the seat raised it's a good fit, very maneuverable. I'm told the bike is made by Trek but with better components at a comparable price range. You might want to consider it.

outat3rd said:
I am far from an expert, but just last week I bought a Gary Fisher Advance mtb, and I am very pleased. The list price was $340 and I got it for $270. I'm a 6' guy but I bought a women's 18" and I find that with the seat raised it's a good fit, very maneuverable. I'm told the bike is made by Trek but with better components at a comparable price range. You might want to consider it.
Outat3rd - Thanks for the info. I ended up going with the GF Wahoo for $373.00. I like the bike. Only complaint is when I am using it for casual riding, the Bontrager seat is rock hard & quite uncomfortable, but that's easy to remedy.

MTU 5.0 said:
Outat3rd - Thanks for the info. I ended up going with the GF Wahoo for $373.00. I like the bike. Only complaint is when I am using it for casual riding, the Bontrager seat is rock hard & quite uncomfortable, but that's easy to remedy.
Good luck with the new bike. Mine is equipped with a Bontrager Sport , which is uncomfortable and I'm planning to replace.
Any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated. I've heard Serfas makes a good one, but there are several types.