Newbie looking for input...

jackal858

Feb 23, 2008
Let me give a little bit of preface before you critique my finding for a bike. I am a college student on a pretty extreme budget. I am interested in getting into the sport with minimal financial consequence (both upfront and if the sport is abandoned). I have been trying to find a bike that will be my testing ground for whether or not I want to invent more at another time.

That being said, I have found this bike:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2.htm

I have asked one of my friends who is on my school's cycling team, and he is hesitant to tell me to get it, but seems to think it would be an "OK" starter bike. This is coming from a guy who has spent a thousands of dollars on bike equipment. This guy is a great friend, but I think his view might be a little askew, because to him, a $300 bike is ****. It seems that the components on this bike aren't spectacular, but aren't complete garbage either.

$300 is the upper limit of my budget (and that is even pushing it), and I'd like for you all to keep that in mind. I have done some looking around for used road bikes, and none have seemed in good enough condition for the price being asked to justify. I feel that at least with this Windsor, I would be getting all new parts which at least come with some kind of factory warranty.

Any advice, thoughts?

That seems like a nice enough bike for the money. Having said that, three hundred dollars won't get you very far with the better or best road bikes of today. However you seem to have the right idea as far as being cheap with a sport you're not sure about just yet. Having said that this bike is a great starter bike. Some pointers I may suggest would be to order the right size bike and don't be afraid to change the seat, pedals and spend a little extra on some shoes, cycle clothing. All the suggestions will lead to you feeling good on that bike with lively feeling everyone strives for whether they spend 300 or 3000. Bikes also hold their value to some extent, more so today with oil and pollution being what it is. You can always sell it and take a small hit rather than spend 1000 and be stuck with a bike that you don't need. And if you decide cycling is for you, then enjoy the new ride. In time you'll be upgrading and it will make a great beater bike. I actually have a Raliegh Cadent 1 that I bought at a lbs. with about the same specs. These kind of bikes are really decent, they're not the lightest but the components are just good enough to have a great time that you wouldn't ever get out of a bike from walmart. (read durability). The frame is also worth any opportunity to upgrade components, wheels, ect.

Go for it, you wont regret it.

I saw the Wellington 3.0, and noted that the only difference was the carbon fork. Is this worth the extra $50? Keeping in mind, that extra $50 is about a week and a half worth of food for a college student. =0

rem984 said:
Similarly enough, Im a grad student looking to get into biking, with about the same budget; I was looking at the next model up, the wellington 3.0 - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3.htm - so any opinions on that would also be appreciated. Thanks!
I just asked my cycling team friend about the carbon fork versus the CroMoly fork, and he thinks that the carbon is not worth the extra $50, at least not on this bike. I guess CroMoly and carbon have about the same level of vibration absorption, and the only real reason for getting it is weight savings, which isn't going to make a big difference.

I'm close to ordering the 2.0, and just need to make sure I get sized correctly. I'm getting together with my friend later to do a lot of body measurements to make sure I get the right size.