Newbie looking for recommendation.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jalen \"The Sav, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone, After exams, I hope to start up my exercise regimine again. My two pairs of Nikes are
    basically torn up, so I'm looking for a new shoe. I was tempted (yes, I am gullible) to go for the
    Shox, but i) I found out they were over $200, and ii) the reviews here seem adamant against them.

    I won't be a heavy runner, maybe 1/2 hr, 3-4 times a week. I was just wondering what the consensus
    was here on what shoe is optimal for a light runner. I noticed the older pair I had would hurt the
    bottom of my feet, so maybe I need something with more cushioning?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. GO to a running store, try on several pairs. Light runners still need some cushioning, don't try to
    wear court shoes jogging. Figure out if you over/under pronate (roll you foot inwards or outwards
    when landing), heal strike etc. Take your old shoes with you so the shoe guy can look at your wear
    pattern. Stability, cushioning, arch, width, breathability blah blah are all things to consider.
    This is why you want a running store as opposed to Walmart. Asics and New Balance are good brands. I
    find Sauconys are typically narrow. Brooks are a bargain but you get what you pay for. Reebok and
    Nike look good with spandex and are fine for posing in around the pilates studio.

    Surf

    news:[email protected]...

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Jalen "The Saviour" Rose wrote:

    > I won't be a heavy runner, maybe 1/2 hr, 3-4 times a week. I was just wondering what the consensus
    > was here on what shoe is optimal for a light runner.

    The "optimal" shoe depends more on gait than weight. I'm reasonably "light" but often train in
    fairly heavy shoes. Use light shoes (such as Nike Spiridon, Asics Gel DS Verdict/Trainer, NB 831,
    Mizuno Maverick/Precision) for speed work or racing, and heavier shoes for ordinary training.

    > I noticed the older pair I had would hurt the bottom of my feet, so maybe I need something with
    > more cushioning?

    It's tempting to see more cushioning as a cure-all. In some cases, too much cushioning can do more
    harm than good.

    You need to find out whether you need stability, motion control or cushioning shoes (depends on
    whehther you're an over-pronator or not) and take it from there. Google for pronation in this
    newsgroup.

    Cheers,

  4. How about New Balance M1221SN? Looks good, I'm thinking about it, but didn't see any mention of it
    on Google...

    http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/product_details.html?g11n.enc=ISO-8859-
    1&feature=Training&gender=Men&segment=&product=M1221SN&product_type=shoe&sport=Running