Newbie lubeing question

Paul

Guest
I am getting into the habit of cleaning and lubing my chain regularly. I was reading an article
recently which said to shift through all the gears whilst applying lube to lube the sprockets and
chainwheels.

I tend to clean the teeth of the sprockets and chainwheels as I had assumed this might make the
chain more prone to slip (I'm sure that I read somewhere that cleaning sprocket/chainwheel teeth
should be part of the cleaning routine).

So, my question is should there be lube on the teeth of chainwheels and sprockets or not?

Sorry if this is basic,

Kind Regards, Paul.

In a brief moment of lucidity Paul scribbled:

> I am getting into the habit of cleaning and lubing my chain regularly. I was reading an article
> recently which said to shift through all the gears whilst applying lube to lube the sprockets and
> chainwheels.
>
> I tend to clean the teeth of the sprockets and chainwheels as I had assumed this might make the
> chain more prone to slip (I'm sure that I read somewhere that cleaning sprocket/chainwheel teeth
> should be part of the cleaning routine).
>
> So, my question is should there be lube on the teeth of chainwheels and sprockets or not?
>
> Sorry if this is basic,
>
> Kind Regards, Paul.

Any moving metal to metal interface should have lube on it. The cleaning is to remove grit that
turns the lube into grinding paste .. ;)

--

Completed 1562 Seti work units in 11835 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Paul wrote:
> I am getting into the habit of cleaning and lubing my chain regularly. I was reading an article
> recently which said to shift through all the gears whilst applying lube to lube the sprockets and
> chainwheels.

The chain needs the lubrication, not the sprockets. Excessive lube will only get gunked up with dirt
and will be nasty to handle and may accelerate wear.

> I tend to clean the teeth of the sprockets and chainwheels as I had assumed this might make the
> chain more prone to slip

Oil or dirt won't make the chain slip or skip.

~PB

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am getting into the habit of cleaning and lubing my chain regularly. I
was
> reading an article recently which said to shift through all the gears
whilst
> applying lube to lube the sprockets and chainwheels.
>
> I tend to clean the teeth of the sprockets and chainwheels as I had
assumed
> this might make the chain more prone to slip (I'm sure that I read
somewhere
> that cleaning sprocket/chainwheel teeth should be part of the cleaning routine).
>
> So, my question is should there be lube on the teeth of chainwheels and sprockets or not?

If you find a way of lubing a chain and of keeping the lube from the teeth of chainwheels and
sprockets, please let me know!

Paul wrote:
> I am getting into the habit of cleaning and lubing my chain regularly. I was reading an article
> recently which said to shift through all the gears whilst applying lube to lube the sprockets and
> chainwheels.

I remember reading long ago (I think it was in the manual that came with the bike I bought when I
was 18) that the chain should always be on the biggest ring and the smallest sprocket while applying
lube. And I've done it that way ever since.

This evening, for the first time in 11 years, I decided I just couldn't be bothered. So I lubed the
chain with it sat on the gears I use on the last stretch of my evening commute (middle ring,
sprocket 6 of 9). But then I started wondering, why would a manual advise putting the chain on the
big ring and little sprocket while lubing?

Thomas Paine