newbie Marathon training

John

Guest
Running the CMMarathon in Nashville 4/24, my objective is to break
3:30. I've been running for 20 years, did a marathon in '97 finished in 4:10. My long runs over the
last month and a half consist of a 10, 13, 15, 7, 17 miles at around a 10 to 11 min pace.
Maybe the 17 miler was pushing it but I did a fair bit of walking and my objective is to get
up to 3 1/2hours on my long runs, focus more on the time than the miles. As I get stronger,
I'll walk less in the 3.5 hrs, pick up the pace a bit and do more miles in the same amount of
time. Thoughts on this?

I know I can finish this marathon in 4 hours, but how do I build the stamina to maintain an 8 minute
pace for 26.2 miles to finish 3:30? I can average 6 800's in 3:05, I haven't worked up to 10 yet...

When should start focusing on the track? I have 11 weeks left and I want to work up to 10x800's, but
this tough when the long runs are wiping my legs out. As I do more long runs, will I recover more
easily? Right now my legs are pretty wiped.

Thanks, John

Mid April?

If you're having problems doing 17 at 10min pace now you're probably in trouble. Forget the
trackwork and get in the mileage. Yasso 800's don't mean a thing unless you have the mileage to back
it up. Focus on tempo runs instead, and that probably isn't really needed. Best thing you can do
(assuming you have the mileage base to do it) is get in as many 18-20 as you can (one every other
weekend, alternate with 13-15's) between now and the top of April. People also say to take your long
runs slow. but it you want to get a 8:00/mile pace during the race, I'd do the long run no slower
than a 9:00/mile pace. 1.5-2 minutes slower than your 10k pace is a good rule of thumb. And don't
walk unless you really have to, unless you're planning on walking during the marathon.