Newbie: Need help choosing my first bike

littlebiker

Sep 9, 2005
I am going to step into the world of cycling, I used to cycle a lot as a kid but now i wanna take it up as a hobby. I live in India and hence the choice of Manufacturers are very little. Also, since it's my first bike I don't want to spen a fortune. However, I want to make sure the bike I by the comfortable and suits my need.

By the way, I read the guid on the forum: Beginners guide to buying a bike and getting started by Vo2. It was very helpful indeed.

Here is the only affordable and decent biking company that I know here - it's called FireFox Bikes. They claim their designs are from Britain and production based in China/Taiwan/Vietnam. They are not too expensive from International standards. Their most expensive bike is only $450.

Unlike the detailing that other manufacturers offer, here this company doesn't provide great deal of information about the bikes. I don't even live in the city where they sell the bike, so it's not possible for me to test drive it.

Here are two of their bikes that look decent:
1. www.firefoxbikes.com/ffx/bikes/allterrain/viper/
This weighs about: 41lbs and costs about $300

2. www.firefoxbikes.com/ffx/bikes/allterrain/target/
This weighs about: 35lbs and costs about $200

My height is 5 6", and they suggest that it fits well for the indian average height which is about 5 5" - 5 9". I know there are more parameters to determine, but they have only 1 size, so there is nothing much to choose from.

I kind of think it would be good idea to begin with Viper. I would like to have your opnion.

My usage: would be driving it in and around cities and once in 6 months might take it to a mountain range. India is not yet too safe for mountain cycling (with some exceptions).

Please advice. My long term objective is to use Bikes extensively during my next trip to Europe.

You are right that the web site does not give enough information. Your best option would be to actually look at the bikes in a shop. I assume these are alluminum bikes, but can't tell from the Add using the word, "alloy."

Thank you for your feedback. I think I am left with no choice but choose Viper. Thanks for your help. I hope will have lot more international companies in India and then I can come in here again for real advice. I hope to learn lot of other things from here.

Thank you!

Shalin Jain
http://www.shalinjain.com

He shalin,
im facing a simialr problem.i want to purchase a bike n im thinking of Firefox bikes 2.have u bought the bike?how are they?how is the after sale services?i m planning to buy the SFX04 or the ATTITUDE.n how is the Viper dat u bought(or are planning to buy)?

it would be really good if u cld help me make a decision.
pls help me dude

Thnx in advance,
Daman Chadha.

godsmack_darule said:
He shalin,
im facing a simialr problem.i want to purchase a bike n im thinking of Firefox bikes 2.have u bought the bike?how are they?how is the after sale services?i m planning to buy the SFX04 or the ATTITUDE.n how is the Viper dat u bought(or are planning to buy)?

it would be really good if u cld help me make a decision.
pls help me dude

Thnx in advance,
Daman Chadha.
Hi Daman,

I purchased a firefox Road Pro - as you have already seen - http://shalinjain.com/index.php/2005/09/27/its-not-about-the-bike/

Actually I am pretty disappointed with the bike and as well attitude and after sales service received. Not worth paying them so much at all. I wish I hadn't purchased the bike! :(

Look out for all possible alternatives.

thnx a lot shalin for replying.pls cld tell me like what are the problems you are facing now...what is wrong with the after sales services..and if im not mistaken you have got the cycle from som other city to the city you are currently living in right?im going to buy the cycle from my own city, ie. mumbai.
but yes even i doubt the company. because the dealer in mumbai was charging rs3000/- extra from the actual price.i got to know about the actual price once i called the head office in noida.and then the mumbai dealer was giving me excuses saying that there was some misunderstanding.
but then what about the bike?is the bike giving you any problems?

neways thnx again for your speedy reply.
waiting for your reply again.
Daman Chadha.

Check out ebay. Trek, Giant, or Specialized are all good bikes and have entry level bikes. A little more $$ than the off brands but well worth it in the long run. I am partial to Trek so would suggest them. A 1000 or 1200 series would be a very good start. 54 or 65cm frame would be my recommendation based on your height.