Newbie needs advice on a Stem

tcycletom

Oct 31, 2011
I'm riding a Felt F90 with a 120 mm stem. I want something a little shorter to bring the bars in a little closer to me. All of the stuff I've seen has been for a MTB. Any advice on what to look for/buy?

you can easily find a 100 and even a 110 stem, nowadays there are 2 bar sizes (clamp diameter) you need to checkout before buying, 26 and 31.7

then there is the angle of the stem to be decided,

and the steerer 1 or 1 1/8 (there is a shim to adapt the 1 into a 1 1/18)
P.S. stems are also referred as threaded or threadless

I believe the stem that I have now is 120mm. I was hoping to cut that in half or so.

I know that this is meant for mountain bikes, but is there any reason that this particular stem wouldn't work? (I did check the bars, and they are 31.8mm).

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ST259A05-Truvativ+Hussefelt+Stem.aspx

Thanks for the info guys!

Originally Posted by tcycletom .

I believe the stem that I have now is 120mm. I was hoping to cut that in half or so.

I know that this is meant for mountain bikes, but is there any reason that this particular stem wouldn't work? (I did check the bars, and they are 31.8mm).

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ST259A05-Truvativ+Hussefelt+Stem.aspx

Thanks for the info guys!
It'll work.

wow, you better checkout your bike fit in a cycling shop before buying,
going from 120 to 60 is a major change !

Originally Posted by tcycletom .

Thanks for the info! What's the difference between a threaded or threadless stem?

The threads are on the fork and headset, not the stem. But a stem for a threadless headset is often referred to as a threadless stem.

On a threaded headset bearing load is set by threading the top bearing cup onto the fork and holding it in place with a locknut. The stem, called a quill, is inserted into the steerer tube of the fork and held in place with an expander or wedge at the end of a long bolt.

On a threadless headset bearing load is set using the top cap and is held in place on the steerer by the stem clamp bolts. Your Felt has a threadless headset.

Before purchasing stems *****-nilly, I suggest getting an evaluation from a shop fitter or experienced riders in your circle.