Newbie needs advice

Sooner93

May 6, 2010
I have a question about training... I am new to cycling and just got my first real road bike (Specialized Roubaix Comp) and have been riding for only a week. I have been riding about 6-7 miles at a time with pace of about 14-15 mph. I recently found out about a 32 mile ride in my city that I would like to try. Unfortunately, it is only 4 weeks away.

Is this too much, too soon ?? I'm not in the greatest cardio shape, but feel I could probably go 10-12 miles without much problem. I thought maybe I could increase my long weekend ride by about 5 miles per week until the race. I'm very excited about riding, but do not want to have a bad experience in my first ride.

Thanks for any advice or training tips that I get !!!

Sooner93 said:
I have a question about training... I am new to cycling and just got my first real road bike (Specialized Roubaix Comp) and have been riding for only a week. I have been riding about 6-7 miles at a time with pace of about 14-15 mph. I recently found out about a 32 mile ride in my city that I would like to try. Unfortunately, it is only 4 weeks away.

Is this too much, too soon ?? I'm not in the greatest cardio shape, but feel I could probably go 10-12 miles without much problem. I thought maybe I could increase my long weekend ride by about 5 miles per week until the race. I'm very excited about riding, but do not want to have a bad experience in my first ride.

Thanks for any advice or training tips that I get !!!

Congrats on the Roubaix...great bike! You'll get many miles of smiles out of her.

On to your situation; without going into a dissertation here, the short of it is you should make plans on doing the event. I'd recommend increasing your milage in increments between now and the event until you can make 25-30 miles without issue, for example (adjust as necessary):

Week 1 (ride 4x/wk)
ride 1, 6-7 miles
ride 2, 7-9 miles
ride 3, 9-10 miles
ride 4, 10 miles (maybe find a coffee shop/eatery 5 miles away...ride to it, have a drink/snack and ride back)

Week 2 (ride 4x/wk)
ride 1, 8-10 miles
ride 2, 10-12 miles
ride 3, 12-15 miles
ride 4, 15+ miles (same as ride 4 week 1, only find something 7.5 miles away)

Week 3 (ride only 3x this wk to prevent burnout and allow rest)
ride 1, 12-16 miles
ride 2, 16-18 miles
ride 3, 15 miles

Week 4 (ride 4x/wk - harder week, but event at ride 4)
ride 1, 18-20 miles
ride 2, 23-25 miles
ride 3, 15-18 miles
***RIDE 4, 32 miles***

Change it up a bit if you can...alter your training routes to keep mentally fresh/exciting on your rides. I'd also recommend doing other activites besides cycling...maybe a jog/walk/run or two or even a few trips to the gym during your off days. The idea is to keep your body from being used to only one form of exercise...

Let your body tell you if you're pushing too hard...listen to it and it won't let you down. I'd also recommend finding a training partner (or group...there are many excellent cycling clubs around) to help keep you motivated. Above all else, don't let yourself become your worst enemy..."negative creep" is a reality that prevent many from completing tasks they set out to do (this goes for anything in life). Belive in yourself and you'll be signing up for a century before you know it. Good luck!!

Cheers,
Bill

I think the kid's advice. Lots of people will recommend only increasing training volume by 5-10% per week, and that's a reasonable suggestion in the long run, but you've only got 4 weeks. Your body should adapt to this new stress quite quickly. Once you're more fit, you'll be able to put larger stresses on your body, and then you might want to start following the 5-10% rule, but for now, shoot for a ride that's five miles longer each weekend.

Bill....

Thanks for the great advice!! I think I'll give your schedule a try. I got up today and rode 10 miles at a 14mph pace. The last mile was difficult for me, but I'm sure it will get better. I think I'll take tomorrow off and try for 11-12 miles on Sunday. I can't wait to see how I'll do after losing some weight.:D

Thanks again for the advice !!!

Shawn