Newbie Needs Assistance!

Hayzumi

Feb 20, 2013
Hey, all.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to road cycling, and bike mechanics, for that matter. I am 5'8", fairly well proportionate, with a 28-29" inseem.

I live in flat Miami, Fl, and currently have a budget of about $400, although I could go a bit higher.

Now, I have two questions. Considering I live in a hill-less city, would there be more benefit to a single-speed, as opposed to a geared bike?

And, I'm going to be using this for recreational and commuting purposes, with the fitness factor thrown in, of course.

The second question has to do with three particular bikes I'm eyeing; I need help deciding on one. Or, you could suggest other ones within my price range.

• The first is a 2010 Specialized Allez sport Compact -- it's lovely and the price is right, apparently.
  • Second -- 2006 Jamis Ventura Sport for $300.
  • Last -- 2011/2012 Gravity Liberty CX. This one I've been looking at because it's a a cyclocross and I hear it may be a better ride for my purposes.

There are a few other bikes out there that seem good for the price, but these seem to be the more likely contenders.

Thanks, again!

the craiglist one is a bit small for you, of the others i would pick the 2010 specialized allez compact in 52 or 54 size, ,you still need the gears for changing wind conditions or if you want to engage in training programs, or for the long run when you see yourself riding faster every year,

Originally Posted by vspa .

the craiglist one is a bit small for you, of the others i would pick the 2010 specialized allez compact in 52 or 54 size,
,you still need the gears for changing wind conditions or if you want to engage in training programs, or for the long run when you see yourself riding faster every year,
Hey, thanks, vspa.

I'm looking into an LBS, too. But it's far more expensive. The bike there was a 2013 Ginat Defy 5 -- or a no-name single speed.

Guys,

I'm bumping the thread with some more information.

I am now looking into bikesdirect simply because the prices seem good and I'll be getting something decent. Any thoughts?

My son has purchased several bikes from them and raves.

Other people have purchased from them and ranted.

Be prepared to build the bike, be able to adjust everything and if you're not very good at that sort of thing, expect to have it done locally and pay about $100 for the service.

Brian in VA

Sweet; thanks, Brian in VA. lol

I've got some options here, now.

Consider that the one I choose will be used on college campus and around the city for commuting in place of a car.

There are three particular bikes I'm looking at (in bold) -- all at the same price point and all my size:

2011 Gravity Avenue A (This is the only one that's cheap, at around $200)
2010 Specialized Allez Sport Compact w/ extras
2005 Giant OCR 1 w/ extras -- I'm liking this one because of the more relaxed geometry and look.
2009 Specialized Transition Multi-Sport
Trek 2100. Not sure of the year, but here's a picture: http://images.craigslist.org/3Ea3K33H55N25F85M8d3101ed4b5f97141004.jpg
It's a 9 speed, double crankset, apparently.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hayzumi .

Anyone have any idea about the cyclo cross bikes?
Beyond any recommendations on specific models Cyclocross bikes are pretty versatile. Unless one has plans to road race it's not a bad choice. They' can handle fire roads etc, but will not be as good on single track as a true MTB. The tires are usually a bit more robust but could easily be swapped out for some "faster" rubber, then again most bona fide road bikes in your range could easily be fitted with robust tires up to 28c, to handle rougher roads. Typically CC bikes have a bit more clearance for mud around the tire area and cantilever brakes which may provide slightly more leverage but these days the brakes that come on most road bikes are way better than they used to be even 10 years ago. Edit: and maybe a triple front chainring for a wider range of gearing. I don't have explicit experience with cyclocoss models but maybe someone with more info will chyme in.

I'd avoid single speed bikes but unless you are looking to just commute on basically flat roads, their limitation is pretty obvious. But maybe the plan is to court some cute hipster chick (or dude)?

Reactions: Hayzumi
Originally Posted by danfoz .

I'd avoid single speed bikes but unless you are looking to just commute on basically flat roads, their limitation is pretty obvious. But maybe the plan is to court some cute hipster chick (or dude)?
LOL! I literally laughed out loud when I read that! Hahaha, No hipsters, no. lol.

I see what you're saying, and the point has been brought to my attention before about wanting more gears for other endeavors.

What are your thoughts on the bikes in my previous post? Some are supposed to be considered intro "tri-bikes."

LOL! I literally laughed out loud when I read that! Hahaha, No hipsters, no. lol.

I see what you're saying, and the point has been brought to my attention before about wanting more gears for other endeavors.

What are your thoughts on the bikes in my previous post? Some are supposed to be considered intro "tri-bikes."
I like the Specialized (if still available). It's a recent model and the Allez is a great bike, can even be raced if you ever get the bug. I'm about your height and a 54cm worked for me but you would definitely want to get a test ride if you can. Other than that the important questions are does it fit, does it ride ok, and do you like the way it looks (which may or may not be important to you).

Danfoz,

Thanks, man.

I'm currently leaning toward the Allez because it's gorgeous and in good condition. Although, I still haven't gone for a test ride. lol

because it's gorgeous.

This has been my primary criteria for choosing bikes and lady friends since as long as I can remember. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Yer welcome.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

This has been my primary criteria for choosing bikes and lady friends since as long as I can remember. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Yer welcome.
It's a great policy. lol

So, I think I have one more question, in order to narrow it down.

Aside from the 2010 Allez, I can get a Ginat Defy 5 for about $700 OTD from my local LBS. Worth it? Or is the Allez Sport still a better choice?

Hey, guys,

I don't know why, but my posts are being moderated and it's taking days.

Here's another match up: 2002 Allez A1 24 (if I can get it for under $200) vs 2010 Allez Sport Compact (ASC) vs 2013 Giant Defy 5 ($700ish from LBS).

I think the ASC is the best component/price-wise, but what about the '02? I'd like something to commute on and not get stolen, so that's my rationale for the A1.

Thanks, again!

Hey, guys,

I don't know why, but my posts are being moderated and it's taking days.

Here's another match up: 2002 Allez A1 24 (if I can get it for under $200) vs 2010 Allez Sport Compact (ASC) vs 2013 Giant Defy 5 ($700ish from LBS).

I think the ASC is the best component/price-wise, but what about the '02? I'd like something to commute on and not get stolen, so that's my rationale for the A1.

Thanks, again!
It's a good rationale but any bike could get nicked. Being that old you'd really want to make sure it's in good working order and you may have to poney up some $$ to get it up to par with the newer bikes. Tires, chain, cables, rear derailleur pulleys, brake pads, bearings, cassette, chainrings, yada yada the list could go on. All these parts are subject to wear and we are going on ten years now. There are some guys on the forum that put 5000+ miles in each year. The bike could have 50,000 miles on it, theoretically speaking. If in good condition it's still a nice bike and will do the job you need. But yer still going to have to lock it up like Fort Knox if left unattended.

So,

It's been a while since my last post; however, I've narrowed it down to two bikes (cash in hand):

2008 Jamis Ventura Sport with clip on aero bars and cateye computer and some other accessories.

2007 Giant OCR2 stock.

Anyone got any opinions on the two?

So,

It's been a while since my last post; however, I've narrowed it down to two bikes (cash in hand):

2008 Jamis Ventura Sport with clip on aero bars and cateye computer and some other accessories.

2007 Giant OCR2 stock.

Anyone got any opinions on the two?
As long as in good working order and the fit is right, I'm guessing you're not going to go wrong with either of those two. Both brands deliver good bikes. Not sure about prices though, I guess that would be whatever the market will bare. Any pictures or links to the actual bikes?

Yes to the OCR2, but no on the Jamis.

I pulled the trigger on the OCR due to better components, and it is much lighter.

There's also and '06 specialized transition multi-sport I was looking at.

I pulled the trigger on the OCR due to better components, and it is much lighter.
Congrats. That's the easy part. Now to load up the legs with a bunch of miles /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif