Newbie needs help: chain popped off front derailleur

Mohap

Guest
Today I took my bike in to get looked at because it was rattling on 7th and
8th gear (rear derailleur).

It was working great when I took it home, everything was fine.

But I was climbing a hill and I was on gear 2 (front) and quickly shifted
down to 1, and after that the chain popped off the front derailleur teeth.

How do I put it back on? It's very tight and I can't get it to wrap around
any one of the teeths. Is there a way to loosen it?

Does this happen from time to time and just something I have to learn to
fix? Or could this be a defective bike? I have until July 11th to exchange
it. Should I take the opportunity?

Also, it doesn't pedal (it's jammed) but you can probably infer that.

thanks.

Mohap wrote:
> Today I took my bike in to get looked at because it was rattling on 7th
> and 8th gear (rear derailleur).
> It was working great when I took it home, everything was fine.
> But I was climbing a hill and I was on gear 2 (front) and quickly
> shifted down to 1, and after that the chain popped off the front
> derailleur teeth.
> How do I put it back on? It's very tight and I can't get it to wrap
> around any one of the teeths. Is there a way to loosen it?
> Does this happen from time to time and just something I have to
> learn to fix? Or could this be a defective bike? I have until July
> 11th to exchange
> it. Should I take the opportunity?
> Also, it doesn't pedal (it's jammed) but you can probably infer that.
> thanks.

Your chain is jammed due to overshooting the small front chain ring.
The Front derailer stop should prevent this most of the time. N-Gear
sells a device called JumpStop that prevents this from ever happening.
You will need to un-jam your chain by working it out of the spot by the
bottom bracket shell. This can be messy if the chain is gritty and
oily, so be ready clothing wise and hand cleaner... etc. You will need
to grab a section of the chain towards the hub and pull it forward to
clear the jam. You can then slide the chain back on and get the
shifters working again. Under extreme conditions some links in the
chain may have been kinked. You may need to replace or repair them. It
is very difficult to tell about the condition of the bicycle and
defects, but it sounds like you need to practice shifting and learing
the basics of adjusting your bicycle.

I suggest you read your owners manual and the articles from Sheldon
Brown's web pages on shifters and adjustments:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html>

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html>

--

Thanks for the informative links and your help. I tried what you said...

I got another problem. I put the chain back on, but it keeps slipping off
when I pedal.

I shifted to 3, and put the chain back on to the largest sprocket, but then
when I downshifted to 2, the chain slipped to the smallest sprocket (1). and
then when I shifted to 1 and pedaled, the chain fell off again.

And it makes the bad rattling noise all the time.

Could the derailleur been whacked out of alignment?
Thanks.

news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:10:05 GMT, "Mohap" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for the informative links and your help. I tried what you said...
>
>I got another problem. I put the chain back on, but it keeps slipping off
>when I pedal.
>
>I shifted to 3, and put the chain back on to the largest sprocket, but then
>when I downshifted to 2, the chain slipped to the smallest sprocket (1). and
>then when I shifted to 1 and pedaled, the chain fell off again.
>
>And it makes the bad rattling noise all the time.
>
>Could the derailleur been whacked out of alignment?

Your description is consistent with a misadjusted front der; in
particular, the stop for the travel towards the small sprocket almost
certainly isn't correctly adjusted, and either the cable has slipped
at the clamp, or the cable adjuster at the shifter needs to be run out
a bit.

Here's another link to look at:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:10:05 GMT, "Mohap" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Thanks for the informative links and your help. I tried what you
> >said...
> >
> >I got another problem. I put the chain back on, but it keeps slipping
> >off when I pedal.
> >
> >I shifted to 3, and put the chain back on to the largest sprocket, but
> >then when I downshifted to 2, the chain slipped to the smallest
> >sprocket (1). and then when I shifted to 1 and pedaled, the chain fell
> >off again.
> >
> >And it makes the bad rattling noise all the time.
> >
> >Could the derailleur been whacked out of alignment?

> Your description is consistent with a misadjusted front der; in
> particular, the stop for the travel towards the small sprocket almost
> certainly isn't correctly adjusted, and either the cable has slipped
> at the clamp, or the cable adjuster at the shifter needs to be run
> out a bit.
> Here's another link to look at:
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderail-
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderail- leur.shtml
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug. Some gardening required to reply via
> email. Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

Yes! It could also be that the chain has some bent links that are biased
to shift past the smallest chain ring. When you put the chain on and get
the derailers shifted so that it run smooth, does it continue to run
smoothly when you are off the bicycle and pedal backwards? If not, your
chain may have some bent links that need repair of replacement. I
suggest you take it back to the shop where you bought it for further
examination. I also saw these symptoms with a lose bottom bracket... and
the list goes on... but without actually looking at the "patient" and
feeling and hearing the symptoms ... I just won't turn into prescribing
more cures... :}

--

Went to the LBS. Turned out to be a misaligned front dereailer.. How it
happened is kindof a mystery.The tech said cos I might have accidentally

Could it be because I was trying to force the pedals to turn when it was
jammed??

Also they said that the jumpstop won't work on my kind of bike because of
the way the derailleur is installed. They said that it's pretty common on
mountain and hybrids (I have a bianchi boardwalk hybrd).