Newbie needs help changing hub batteries

MtWash

Aug 23, 2006
Hi there,

I'm a total newbie so please be cool! :(

I have a PowerTap SL hub and I'm unable to remove the battery cap (black plastic cover). Is there a special way to do it? I put dishwashing gloves to have more grip and used all my arm muscles but the thing simply will not open.

Is there a special trick?

Thanks in advance!

I used pliers. Scratched up the black plastic a bit when I did it, so I would recommnd using pliers and a cloth.

--Steve

I agree, get some cloth and a set of adjustable width pliers (the ones where you have a choice of a few minimum jaws sizes - I can't remember the proper name)! Adjust them so the minimum jaw width is slightly smaller than the flats on the plastic hub shell (so you get a better grip than normal pliers) and away you go!

Mike

MtWash said:
Hi there,

I'm a total newbie so please be cool! :(

I have a PowerTap SL hub and I'm unable to remove the battery cap (black plastic cover). Is there a special way to do it? I put dishwashing gloves to have more grip and used all my arm muscles but the thing simply will not open.

Is there a special trick?

Thanks in advance!
The first time i had to do it, after trying unsuccessfully for 30min, was to use a pipe wrench/monkey wrench like the one below. Get the bottom plate of the wrench up against the notches on the cover for some better purchase.
Note - don't clamp it too tight as it may crack the plastic. Also put cloth in between the clamp and the plastic cover to avoid getting scuff marks on the cover. Others out there may have better solutions, but this was mine.

Don't overtighten it when you put it back on to avoid having to use a wrench in future.
pipe_wrench.gif

How about a strap wrench? Like so:

strapwrench.jpg

They'll have them at auto parts or home improvement stores.

I know it can't possibly be the best solution, but I used a headset wrench to pry it open. The tips of the wrench fit in an opposing pair of dents on the battery cap, so I applied as much torque as I could and unscrewed it. I didn't have a plier or a monkey wrench big enough to fit.

frenchyge said:
How about a strap wrench? Like so:
They'll have them at auto parts or home improvement stores.
Nothing on the hub cover for these to purchase on. Yeah - 1st time was a bugger - I got some multigrips. Since then I have only ever hand tightened - never a sealing problem, just make sure the cap o-ring line is greased before replacing.

Alex Simmons said:
Nothing on the hub cover for these to purchase on.
I can't say I've tried it on my hub cover, but that's exactly what strap wrenches are designed for -- gripping on smooth, round objects using only friction. Same principle as an oil filter wrench.

Like I said, though, I've never tried it.

frenchyge said:
I can't say I've tried it on my hub cover, but that's exactly what strap wrenches are designed for -- gripping on smooth, round objects using only friction. Same principle as an oil filter wrench.

Like I said, though, I've never tried it.
Have a go - let us know. I just can't see how it could grip on the SL hub cover - since it has no cyclindrical surface - it's all tapered (sort of dome shaped), unlike an oil filter which is basically a cyclinder. The Pro hub cap has more of a cylindrical surface but of course it's fastened with screws!

Dini77 said:
The first time i had to do it, after trying unsuccessfully for 30min, was to use a pipe wrench/monkey wrench like the one below. Get the bottom plate of the wrench up against the notches on the cover for some better purchase.
Note - don't clamp it too tight as it may crack the plastic. Also put cloth in between the clamp and the plastic cover to avoid getting scuff marks on the cover. Others out there may have better solutions, but this was mine.

Don't overtighten it when you put it back on to avoid having to use a wrench in future.
pipe_wrench.gif
Man that's some wrench for a power meter! I reckon there might be a few that would like to use this on their meter after a bad day at the office...
F0015858.jpg

Alex Simmons said:
Man that's some wrench for a power meter! I reckon there might be a few that would like to use this on their meter after a bad day at the office...
F0015858.jpg
this is what i felt like using when i couldn't unscrew that damn cap. That monkey wrench was the only one i had that adjusted enough to do the job. thankfully, i've never had to use a wrench to get it off since.