Newbie needs help on adjusting my new shimano derailer on my 1974 Schwinn Varsity

dmfett

Jun 19, 2004
Good evening

I am a newbie to this forum but not to biking...I have no idea where to ask this question so I will do it here...please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question....

I had a bike shop fix my 1974 Varsity last year...he replaced my chain and not the back 5 sprockets....when I put any tork (SP?) on it, it slips...So I lived with it and I was not too happy...so I replaced the derailer with the Shimano one today...

Got it working but can not get the chain to go to the smallest sprocket and also when I go into the larger sproket on the front I only get 3rd & 4th sprocket to work....we tried to adjust the two screws...

So to my question...is there any place I can get instructions on how to adjust it to work on all 10 speeds...

Also I may need to replace the back 5 sprockets (not sure of the proper name to call it) where can I get one and what tool do I need to get it off and where can I get it.

Thanks for all your help...I have a few other related bike question for a later date!

Dennis

This is how you adjust your rear derailur.

1. Shift into the largest gear in the back.
2. Adjust the limit screws that stick out. There are two. One is for the high, and one is for the low. Your going to have to figure out which does what. Look, and you will see where the screws contact a plate on the inside of the derailur. Make it so that the derailur won't go into the spokes and is lined up with the cog.
3. Shift into the lowest gear in the front.
4. Adjust this limit screw so that it is lined up with the lowest gear and not past it.
5. Next, your going to want to pedal the bike and shift the gears. If the chain is having trouble goinge either up or down, your going to have to fine tune it with the little knob where the wire meets the derailur. It twist, and should be easy to find. Play arround with this and you'll soon get it.

:cool:

Sorry, to answer your other questions.

The back five sprockets on such an old bike is actually, probably, a freewheel. You can get these at your local bike shop, if they carry them, they may or may not. They shouldn't be expensive, about 15 bucks sounds right. If your skipping, this is probably the the reason, as the cogs wear down, it will have the tendancy to skip.

The tools that you are going to need to replace this are as follows.
1. Something to hold the wheel, preferably a vise.
2. A little thing (sorry, its escaping me right now, but your local mechanic should know what its called and/or sell it) that slides into the holes in the center of the freewheel.

Take the thingy, and put it in the vise. Your going to turn the wheel upside down and slide it onto the thingy. Turn the wheel counter clockwise, this may be firm, and you should feel the freewheel unscrew.

To put the new freewheel on, just screw it on there, it doesnt have to be real tight as it will tighten as you ride it.

Originally posted by dmfett
Good evening

I am a newbie to this forum but not to biking...I have no idea where to ask this question so I will do it here...please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question....

I had a bike shop fix my 1974 Varsity last year...he replaced my chain and not the back 5 sprockets....when I put any tork (SP?) on it, it slips...So I lived with it and I was not too happy...so I replaced the derailer with the Shimano one today...

Got it working but can not get the chain to go to the smallest sprocket and also when I go into the larger sproket on the front I only get 3rd & 4th sprocket to work....we tried to adjust the two screws...

So to my question...is there any place I can get instructions on how to adjust it to work on all 10 speeds...

Also I may need to replace the back 5 sprockets (not sure of the proper name to call it) where can I get one and what tool do I need to get it off and where can I get it.

Thanks for all your help...I have a few other related bike question for a later date!

Dennis
WWW.parktool.com repair section has how to on derailer adjusrment. It's also covered by Sheldon Browns articles at www.harriscyclery.com If the chain was really wore out, the rear sprokets probably were too. Have the bike shop change the sprockets, as they have the proper tools for rremoving the freewheel.

Thanks I will try to adjust it as you said tonight

Thanks Dennis

Originally posted by boudreaux
WWW.parktool.com repair section has how to on derailer adjusrment. It's also covered by Sheldon Browns articles at www.harriscyclery.com If the chain was really wore out, the rear sprokets probably were too. Have the bike shop change the sprockets, as they have the proper tools for rremoving the freewheel.