newbie needs help-tektro brake pad touches wheel without pressing brake?

lilsis

Sep 5, 2007
Hi guys, I'm so pleased to be here!! lol
I bought myself a bike today from cash converters, it was advertised as £49.99, but cos the brake was broken and the tyres flat and the chain was off, they gave it to me for £40! I was well pleased cos I knew the problems were easy to fix. So I took the bike across the road to the bike shop and the guy put air in my tyres put the chain on and clipped back the brake for £2!
Very pleased with my bargain, it's a Raleigh freeride, saw them advertised for £149 on internet...
Anyway, my problem, I'd really appreciate you help, I noticed that the front left brake pad rubs on the wheel even when the brake isn't pressed, it doesn't affect cycling but I know it'll wear it out, they are tektro brakes, do I just have to fiddle with a screw somewhere> If so which one!? A diagram would be great if you have one!
Thanks in advance! this is a great forum:)

Check out this link: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=22.

It sounds like all you need to do is center the brakes on the wheel. If not, then you'll need to adjust the pads. You can probably do this with the barrel adjuster on the brake caliper. Either one is really easy. I'm surprised that your LBS didn't point it out to you and offer to fix it. A brake adjustment wouldn't be that much and centering is something that they should have done for free.

Look at where the brake arm pivots on the fork. Do you see a little screw on the side? Tighten that screw about 1/2 turn, cycle the brake lever, and see what happens. Without having had the opportunity to see your bike my bet is that'll fix it.

Wow thanks guys, that is so helpful, I'm going to go and see what I can do in the garden a little later, I was also surprised the bike shop man didn't notice it as he seemed to have had a good look at the bike, but never mind, I'll try and post pic later, and if I'm successful a before and after shot!
Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!:)