Newbie NEeds Mechanical HELP

mseanschmidt

Aug 24, 2006
My last two rides I've developed a metallic clicking sound. I have full Campy Record with a Compact UT Crank and an 11/23 cassette in the rear. When I shift to the 6th (from the top) cog in the rear the metallic clicking starts. It gets louder and faster with increased wattage and cadence. It ONLY occurs in that cog? When I shift out to any other gear the metallic clicking goes completely away? The drive train is spotless and the chain is perfectly lubricated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mseanschmidt said:
My last two rides I've developed a metallic clicking sound. I have full Campy Record with a Compact UT Crank and an 11/23 cassette in the rear. When I shift to the 6th (from the top) cog in the rear the metallic clicking starts. It gets louder and faster with increased wattage and cadence. It ONLY occurs in that cog? When I shift out to any other gear the metallic clicking goes completely away? The drive train is spotless and the chain is perfectly lubricated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Give a small twist to the adjusting barrel on the downtube while you are riding in that gear to help center the RD a bit. Those barrels are there for adjusting on the fly My guess is that the cable has stretched a wee bit since installation and you need to turn that barrel a little to the right (as viewed from the saddle). Turn it one way an if that makes it worse, try the other.

That is a lot of bike for a newbie. Most start out with something like a Trek 1000 with Sora or Tiagra.