Newbie needs some help with a decision!

psemaan

Feb 11, 2004
Hey all! I hope everyone is well! I am looking into buying my first road bike, since I am thinking of doing the Hawaii triathlon in June. I have narrowed my decision down to 3 bikes -- the 2K4 Trek 2200, the 2K4 Cannondale R1000, and the 2002 Cannondale R2000 Si. Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other about these bikes? In case you are wondering, the R2000 is on sale for 1500 negotiable, but is still brand new. The 2200 is a little cheaper than the R1000, but, I want to get the best bang for my buck. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to look real quick, here are the respective websites:

Trek 2200

R1000 Link

r2000 Link

Originally posted by psemaan
Hey all! I hope everyone is well! I am looking into buying my first road bike, since I am thinking of doing the Hawaii triathlon in June. I have narrowed my decision down to 3 bikes -- the 2K4 Trek 2200, the 2K4 Cannondale R1000, and the 2002 Cannondale R2000 Si. Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other about these bikes? In case you are wondering, the R2000 is on sale for 1500 negotiable, but is still brand new. The 2200 is a little cheaper than the R1000, but, I want to get the best bang for my buck. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to look real quick, here are the respective websites:

Trek 2200

R1000 Link

r2000 Link

If your links are correct you're looking at an R2000 (2002) and an R1000 (2004)

I happen to like Cannondale, and I'd go with the Optimo frame on the R1000 decked out with mostly Ultegra.

Just what "I" would do. No reason really. Just like it :) I've heard lots of good reports on the Optimo, but tend to be a little deaf to the bad, so it's a biased reason ;).

Don't think you'd go wrong with any of the three though.

JMHO.
C-

Yeah, those links are correct. They just happen to have a leftover 2K2 r2000. Still not sure what to do!

Have you ridden them all? Go ride them and see what you think, maybe something will stick out about one of them that will suit you better?

Originally posted by ccorrick
Have you ridden them all? Go ride them and see what you think, maybe something will stick out about one of them that will suit you better?

just the Trek. I am planning on riding the other 2 Saturday morning. I was just looking for feedback on the 3! Thanks for yours!

Originally posted by ccorrick

In case anyone is interested in my thread, I went out today and bought a Klein Q-Carbon Racer. Liked the ride, feel, and, of course the price. I got it for 1199 on sale, and am leaving it stock until I get more of a feel for the sport! Thanks for the help!

I'm riding a Trek 2300 from a few years ago and I think it's a terrific bike. I train and race on the 2300. I also commute on a Bianchi Pista (track bike, steel frame). I love the Bianchi for the daily grind, but the Trek is a powerful machine.

I don't know much about the other two bikes you're looking at, but for what it's worth: I am an extremely satisfied Trek customer. I would buy another Trek in a minute (given a couple thousand dollars to do it with!).

Good luck, and let us know what you pick.