newbie odd request

Jay

Guest
Hi

I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many years)
is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to get into
maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit is meant to do.
I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be able to spot it yet.

Can anyone help? Fortunately the LBS is pushing distance if anything goes wrong...

Jay

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:19:59 -0000, "Jay"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many
>years) is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to
>get into maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit is
>meant to do. I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be able to
>spot it yet.
>
>Can anyone help? Fortunately the LBS is pushing distance if anything goes wrong...

Try <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/> All you wanted to knowabout bikes plus a whole lot more.

Tim

Jay wrote:
> I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many
> years) is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to
> get into maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit is
> meant to do. I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be able to
> spot it yet.
>
> Can anyone help? Fortunately the LBS is pushing distance if anything goes wrong...

Instead of trying to learn everything (or a bit about everything) first, I suggest working on or
researching each area problem/concern/interest as it comes up, and only resort to the bike shop when
you get truly stuck. That way, you'll learn from /real/ experience.

So, any whereabouts is this squeak is coming from? Even a rough idea will help for a start. And when
does it happen (intermitently or once per revolution of anything)?

~PB

> Jay wrote:
> > I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many
> > years) is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to
> > get into maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit is
> > meant to do. I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be able to
> > spot it yet.
> >
> > Can anyone help? Fortunately the LBS is pushing distance if anything goes wrong...
>
> Instead of trying to learn everything (or a bit about everything) first, I suggest working on or
> researching each area problem/concern/interest as it comes up, and only resort to the bike shop
> when you get truly stuck. That way, you'll learn from /real/ experience.
>
> So, any whereabouts is this squeak is coming from? Even a rough idea will help for a start. And
> when does it happen (intermitently or once per revolution of anything)?

Thanks Pete - the noise occurs when I pedal down with my left foot, i.e the noise happens for approx
half a pedal revolution, its not too loud or even noticeable, except I know the bike doesn't usually
sound like this. The noise is coming from the (quick check on the reference site for terminology)
chainwheel area, I have checked nothing is stuck in the chain that might be rattling round the chain
wheel, but I have not had time to have a proper look, it was dark and raining last night and I was
not allowed to take the bike inside and I didn't want to ride it this morning just in case.

I don't think the problem is serious but it did make me think I need to learn more about my bike, I
am fairly happy changing oil, tyres etc on my car and can happily repair my central heating boiler,
but know nothing about bikes at all!

Jay

Jay wrote:
> Thanks Pete - the noise occurs when I pedal down with my left foot,
> i.e the noise happens for approx half a pedal revolution, its not too loud or even noticeable,
> except I know the bike doesn't usually sound like this. The noise is coming from the (quick
> check on the reference site for terminology) chainwheel area, I have checked nothing is stuck in
> the chain that might be rattling round the chain wheel, but I have not had time to have a proper
> look, it was dark and raining last night and I was not allowed to take the bike inside and I
> didn't want to ride it this morning just in case.
>
> I don't think the problem is serious but it did make me think I need to learn more about my bike

Understood, and this is a good place to start, I think.

See what S Brown says about bent chainrings, chains, cranks and bottom brackets. Check chain guard
if got one. Noises sometimes only occur when riding because of (normal) flex in components, so there
needs to be enough clearance between things to allow for this.

You may also be generally interested in the information at:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml (It's largely aimed at the fully equiped mechanic
but you can extract from it what you need and can manage).

A few more good links: http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.htm http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/
http://www.timeoutdoors.com/bike/maintenance/4MTBHPS01061210E.htm
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html http://yarchive.net/bike/
http://www.andysbikes.com/links/index.html

~PB

Do you use clipless pedals at all? I had a similar squeak on my right hand downward stroke that I
traced to the pedal area. I thought it was the pedals, which were new. I tried my girlfriends
pedals, (the same as mine), and had the same problem. Baffled, I mentioned it to the shop who said
it could be the cleats - they were right. I just clean the areas in pedals and cleats every few
rides and it's fine. Probably not this but you never know!

--

cheers,

Dave Rollinson

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Jay wrote:
> > > I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many
> > > years) is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to
> > > get into maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit
> > > is meant to do. I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be
> > > able to spot it yet.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help? Fortunately the LBS is pushing distance if anything goes wrong...
> >
> > Instead of trying to learn everything (or a bit about everything) first,
> > suggest working on or researching each area problem/concern/interest as
it
> > comes up, and only resort to the bike shop when you get truly stuck.
That
> > way, you'll learn from /real/ experience.
> >
> > So, any whereabouts is this squeak is coming from? Even a rough idea
will
> > help for a start. And when does it happen (intermitently or once per revolution of anything)?
> >
> Thanks Pete - the noise occurs when I pedal down with my left foot, i.e
the
> noise happens for approx half a pedal revolution, its not too loud or even noticeable, except I
> know the bike doesn't usually sound like this. The noise is coming from the (quick check on the
> reference site for
terminology)
> chainwheel area, I have checked nothing is stuck in the chain that might
be
> rattling round the chain wheel, but I have not had time to have a proper look, it was dark and
> raining last night and I was not allowed to take the bike inside and I didn't want to ride it this
> morning just in case.
>
> I don't think the problem is serious but it did make me think I need to learn more about my bike,
> I am fairly happy changing oil, tyres etc on my car and can happily repair my central heating
> boiler, but know nothing
about
> bikes at all!
>
> Jay

The problem sounds very much like a loose left crank - fairly common fault which will very quickly
damage the components if not tightened.

john j

John J wrote:
> The problem sounds very much like a loose left crank - fairly common fault which will very quickly
> damage the components if not tightened.

Loose cranks tend to make a clunking or clicking noise/sensation rather than a sqeak.

--
~PB This week, I am mostly eating Marmite ...had enough of the stuff now, actually :-(

> Loose cranks tend to make a clunking or clicking noise/sensation rather than a sqeak.

I've come across all sorts, ones that have sqeaked, creaked, grawnched, clunked and clicked. Also
make sure it's not the saddle squeaking - does it stop making the noise when you stand up and pedal?

John J

"John J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Loose cranks tend to make a clunking or clicking noise/sensation rather than a sqeak.
>
> I've come across all sorts, ones that have sqeaked, creaked, grawnched, clunked and clicked.
> Also make sure it's not the saddle squeaking - does it stop making the noise when you stand up
> and pedal?
>
> John J

I fixed it last night, as it turns out rather embarrassingly, there was some plastic around the
pedal that has not been finished properly and has started to tear off which was causing the noise,
it took me a while to spot though. I saw it and tore it off, then went back to look at the bike not
thinking that might have been the problem and couldn't get the squeak back again!

Oh dear, still now I know my chain ring from my derailleur and my saddle is at a more comfy angle
now thanks to Sheldon Brown!

Jay

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi
>
> I am in need of an 'anatomy of the bike' type site. My new dawes (first bike for far too many
> years) is making an odd squeaky noise which started on the way home yesterday. I would like to
> get into maintaining my own bike as I am fairly handy but first I need to know what each bit is
> meant to do. I can work it out but am worried if one bit is working wrong I might not be able to
> spot it yet.

On a new bike, it might be that the crank bolt(s) need tightening. A loose crank often emits a
squeek when you pedal. It's easy to tighten crank bolts with either a socket spanner (usually 14mm)
or in some cases, an Allen key.

If this is the cause, it is best to fix it. If you ignore it, the cranks will eventually get ruined
(where they fit on the spindle).

Finally, having a decent book to refer to really helps with bike maintenance. I recommend the Haynes
Bike Book (Updated 3rd Edition) by F Milsom: http://www.haynes.co.uk/inc/viewbook.asp?bt=L7323

David Green cambridge

On 13 Mar 2003 04:56:14 -0800, [email protected] (David Green) wrote:

>On a new bike, it might be that the crank bolt(s) need tightening. A loose crank often emits a
>squeek when you pedal. It's easy to tighten crank bolts with either a socket spanner (usually 14mm)
>or in some cases, an Allen key.

Hi David

I had a similar trouble with a Trek 4300 rigid I bought a couple or three years ago. IIRC, I asked a
reason for a possible cause of the noise in this NG. If not, I certainly have mentioned the problem
herein since.

Eventually, the clicky squeak was found to be coming from some sort of packaging protection in the
chainwheel area. Copious amounts of lube quietened the bike.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.