Newbie overtraining?

Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Nah, just bring bagels from Ess-A-Bagel.

> > Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!

> I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st Ave.
> for lunch there. I think they're better than H&H.

No comparison - Ess-A-Bagel is far superior. H&H bagels are too big and squidgy, only tolerable when
you compare to the tawdry imitations that are passed off as bagels in most of the rest of the
country. AFAICT, there are no good bagels in California. Here, the default is the Noah's chain. They
have New York memorabilia painted on the walls, but as a friend of mine said, "Noah's isn't bad - if
you think of them as rolls. Nice, fluffy blueberry rolls. Just don't think of a bagel while eating
them." And this is from a Texan, for heaven's sake.

The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
culture is a tragedy. I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their
traditional foods.

On 2 Mar 2004 13:16:31 -0800, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their traditional foods.

Well, cheesecake is only cheesecake as you get closer to New York. Here in Maryland there is a large
contingent that appears to like fluffy cheesecake with whipped topping. Probably still imprinted
with Jello and Pudding brand products from their childhood...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> culture is a tragedy. I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their
> traditional foods.

Like dried meat floss?

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Remember, it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to burn off one pound. That is about 6-7 hours of riding
> just for that one tiny pound

Strictly speaking that's true but ignores the more signifcant weight loss that is possible by an
increase in overall basal (resting) metabolism brought on by consistent vigorous aerobic training
and a high level of fitness.

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
> >
> > Much, much better than H&H, although H&H isn't bad at all. Ever have
Cuban
> > at Cafe National, between 11th and 12th IIRC. The Mofungo was to die
for.

> No--thanks for the tip!
>
> Steve

When you go, see if there's still a bar near it called the Village Idiot.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>>B. Lafferty wrote:
>>
>>>Much, much better than H&H, although H&H isn't bad at all. Ever have
>
> Cuban
>
>>>at Cafe National, between 11th and 12th IIRC. The Mofungo was to die
>
> for.
>

>>No--thanks for the tip!
>>
>>Steve
>

> When you go, see if there's still a bar near it called the Village Idiot.

I think it is still there, but I'll check.

Steve

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

>>>Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!
>

>> I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st Ave.
>> for lunch there. I think they're better than H&H.
>

> No comparison - Ess-A-Bagel is far superior. H&H bagels are too big and squidgy, only tolerable
> when you compare to the tawdry imitations that are passed off as bagels in most of the rest of the
> country. AFAICT, there are no good bagels in California. Here, the default is the Noah's chain.
> They have New York memorabilia painted on the walls, but as a friend of mine said, "Noah's isn't
> bad - if you think of them as rolls. Nice, fluffy blueberry rolls. Just don't think of a bagel
> while eating them." And this is from a Texan, for heaven's sake.
>
> The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> culture is a tragedy. I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their
> traditional foods.

A local good bagel place in Brooklyn told me that the fluffy bagels are sprayed with
water and baked. The traditional ones have dough boiled in water. Maybe someone can help
me out with the place on Grand St. that has the big eastern European breads--haven't been
there in years.

Steve

Some of the best cheesecake is to be found at Kiev on 3rd(?) Ave in the East Village.

news:[email protected]...

Robert Chung wrote:

> Benjamin Weiner wrote:
>
>>The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
>>culture is a tragedy. I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their
>>traditional foods.
>

> Like dried meat floss?

Yeah, but my wife just read in "Natural Health" magazine that nitrates are actually
good for you!

Steve

Originally posted by TimH
"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Remember, it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to burn off one pound. That is about 6-7 hours of riding
> just for that one tiny pound

Strictly speaking that's true but ignores the more signifcant weight loss that is possible by an
increase in overall basal (resting) metabolism brought on by consistent vigorous aerobic training
and a high level of fitness.

I'm no exercise physiologist, nor a nutritionist for that matter, but consistent vigorous aerobic training will burn calories, but AFAIK you have to increase lean muscle mass to increase basal metabolism, and you still need to run a net defecit in calories consumed over calories burned to lose weight. And, regardless of your fitness or basal metabolism, I think it's around 3500 calories that you have to burn more than you take in to lose a pound. Some kind of physics involved there, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Andy Coggan can correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is this - it takes a whole ton of energy to lose a pound. It takes very very little effort however to GAIN a pound. 3500 calories is easy to get by going to your local chinese buffet, or eating a typical meal at some crappy Italian chain like Olive Garden. Or by sitting down and eating an entire package of Oreo cookies and a quart of milk while watching Sex in the City reruns. Or by having 10 Krispy Kremes. This is why Americans are so f*&^cking fat - because they cram their faces full of fat and sit on their asses all day doing nothing except letting their muscles atrophy. And they all they want are easy solutions like that pill that blocks fat absorption and gives you projectile diarrhea, or the Atkin's diet which is going to put all the good bagel bakeries out of business because of all the fat f&%^cking stupid gullible dumbass American lazy sh&theads who run up my health insurance rates with their lack of self control.

But I digress. Ess-A-Bagels rule, but I'd give my left knee to even have an approximation of an H&H where I live. Brugger's Bagels don't even come close. And I can eat a bagel because I burned 4500 extra calories in the last three days on my bike - just about the number of calories in one Essa bagel, if I'm not mistaken...

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Oh, that is a wonderful place. Now you've made me homesick!
>
> > I taught at my dental school for a couple of years, and we frequently walked down 1st Ave. for
> > lunch there. I think they're better than H&H.
>
> No comparison - Ess-A-Bagel is far superior. H&H bagels are too big and squidgy, only tolerable
> when you compare to the tawdry imitations that are passed off as bagels in most of the rest of the
> country. AFAICT, there are no good bagels in California. Here, the default is the Noah's chain.
> They have New York memorabilia painted on the walls, but as a friend of mine said, "Noah's isn't
> bad - if you think of them as rolls. Nice, fluffy blueberry rolls. Just don't think of a bagel
> while eating them." And this is from a Texan, for heaven's sake.

<SNIP>

Aaaacck! There is no way you can consider what Noah's sells as a bagel. If you're in NorCal, try
House of Bagels. They may not be perfect, but at least they're boiled.

-T

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their traditional foods.

What ethnicity is meat and potatos?

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:52:25 -0800, gwhite wrote:
> What ethnicity is meat and potatos?

Aztec.

wrote:

>AFAICT, there are no good bagels in California.

If you're ever in Santa Cruz visit The Bagelry on Cedar St. downtown. Real bagels baked on premises
and if you're early, they are still warm from the oven.

Service is hit 'n miss, though.

MT

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> culture is a tragedy.

but will bob write opera about it?

i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because their
bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel itself ??

heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)

What's with the bagels. I dumster dive for them to feed to dogs and pigeons.

"h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> >
> > The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> > culture is a tragedy.
>
> but will bob write opera about it?
>
> i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
> their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
> itself ??
>
> heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)

"h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Benjamin Weiner wrote:
>>
>> The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
>> culture is a tragedy.
>
> but will bob write opera about it?
>
> i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
> their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
> itself ??
>
> heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)

You got it almost right Heather, it is because they can nicely squeeze their "thingy" into the hole
without it being seen on the opposite side. :)

Al

h squared wrote:

> Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> >
> > The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> > culture is a tragedy.
>
> but will bob write opera about it?
>
> i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
> their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
> itself ??

I actually prefer fruit of any ethnicity to bagels:

http://fazigu.org/~quinn/funny/fruit/fruits1.jpg

pedalchick wrote:

> Remember, it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to burn off one pound.

Presumably you're talking about fat.

(9 Cal/g)*(454 g/lb) = 4086 Cal/lb.

But not all those fat Cal's go into usable work since there isn't 100% thermodynamic efficiency. I
don't know what the efficiencies of burning fat, muscle, and carbs are.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> > >
> > > Much, much better than H&H, although H&H isn't bad at all. Ever have
> Cuban
> > > at Cafe National, between 11th and 12th IIRC. The Mofungo was to die
> for.
> > >

> > No--thanks for the tip!
> >
> > Steve
>
> When you go, see if there's still a bar near it called the Village Idiot.

it was there two years ago.