Newbie overtraining?

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 2 Mar 2004 13:16:31 -0800, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I often wonder what similar issues other ethnicities have with their traditional foods.
>
> Well, cheesecake is only cheesecake as you get closer to New York. Here in Maryland there is a
> large contingent that appears to like fluffy cheesecake with whipped topping. Probably still
> imprinted with Jello and Pudding brand products from their childhood...

you mean, strawberry pretzel salad?

Well potatoes anyway; meat eating dates back to **** Erectus.

victor wrote:

> Early morning at dawn it the only way... Later in the day CP is full of pedestrians, joggers,
> roller bladers, to dodge slowing my times a lot. The climbs and downhills are a challenge. I get
> my max speed up to about 30MPH at times.

If you consider the climbs in Central Park to be a challenge you'd better do some hill training out
to Bear mountain and back. Apart from Bear mountain itself there are a few other decent hills after
Nyack which, unlike CP, you might need to change down to your 39 (naming that little slope in CP big
hill I assume was meant to be ironic).

This discussion has made me somewhat nostalgic about my time in NY, its funny how over time one
tends to only remember the good things and not the not so good such as hour or longer commutes (that
could become 3 hour commutes when a snow storm hit).

h squared wrote:
> i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
> their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
> itself ??

The pastry created to commemorate a bicycle race: http://b-simon.ifrance.com/b-simon/pabrest.htm

Shaped like a bicycle wheel, creme pralinee marked with sinuous lines to represent a winding
road, topped with powdered sugar and sliced almonds to bring to mind the dustiness and roughness
of the road.

> heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)

There's your mistake. Boil 'em. Then, so as not to compound the mistake, throw them away.

Robert Chung wrote:

> h squared wrote:

> The pastry created to commemorate a bicycle race: http://b-simon.ifrance.com/b-simon/pabrest.htm
>
> Shaped like a bicycle wheel, creme pralinee marked with sinuous lines to represent a winding
> road, topped with powdered sugar and sliced almonds to bring to mind the dustiness and roughness
> of the road.

i thought at first you were pulling my leg, but i looked it up and it's true. holy ****! i want a
dessert created to commemorate a grand tour (one every nite for 3 weeks), or maybe paris roubaix (i
like chocolate...)

> > heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)
>
> There's your mistake. Boil 'em. Then, so as not to compound the mistake, throw them away.

ok ok, boil & then follow up by bake. i use to work for a cranky jewish man making bagels, i'm
assuming here that he taught me to make them in a semi authentic way. (still, not the greatest
bagels ever, but definitely bagels :)

hh

Originally posted by Gwhite
pedalchick wrote:

> Remember, it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to burn off one pound.

Presumably you're talking about fat.

(9 Cal/g)*(454 g/lb) = 4086 Cal/lb.

But not all those fat Cal's go into usable work since there isn't 100% thermodynamic efficiency. I
don't know what the efficiencies of burning fat, muscle, and carbs are.

See, there ya go. It takes even more work to lose weight than I said. So like smoking, it's best to not even start in the first place - ie. don't get fat.

h squared wrote:

> i thought at first you were pulling my leg, but i looked it up and it's true. holy ****!

Your son probably knew.

Robert Chung wrote:
> h squared wrote:
>
>>i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
>>their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
>>itself ??
>

> The pastry created to commemorate a bicycle race: http://b-simon.ifrance.com/b-simon/pabrest.htm
>
> Shaped like a bicycle wheel, creme pralinee marked with sinuous lines to represent a winding
> road, topped with powdered sugar and sliced almonds to bring to mind the dustiness and roughness
> of the road.

Looks more like a bird's nest to me. Dustiness of the road--yum yum!

Steve

Donald Munro wrote:
> gwhite wrote:
>
>>>What ethnicity is meat and potatos?
>>

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
>>Aztec.
>

> Well potatoes anyway; meat eating dates back to **** Erectus.

How about meat floss?

Steve

Donald Munro wrote:
> victor wrote:
>

>>Early morning at dawn it the only way... Later in the day CP is full of pedestrians, joggers,
>>roller bladers, to dodge slowing my times a lot. The climbs and downhills are a challenge. I get
>>my max speed up to about 30MPH at times.
>

> If you consider the climbs in Central Park to be a challenge you'd better do some hill training
> out to Bear mountain and back. Apart from Bear mountain itself there are a few other decent hills
> after Nyack which, unlike CP, you might need to change down to your 39 (naming that little slope
> in CP big hill I assume was meant to be ironic).
>
> This discussion has made me somewhat nostalgic about my time in NY, its funny how over time one
> tends to only remember the good things and not the not so good such as hour or longer commutes
> (that could become 3 hour commutes when a snow storm hit).

Commuting does suck, that's for sure. I live and work in Brooklyn, so that's not a problem.
As for hill training, I've wondered how so many great climbers have come out of Belgium and
Holland. I mean, do even young amateurs travel to train in the mountains, or does the
natural talent just come out later when they do?

Steve

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Donald Munro wrote:
> > victor wrote:
> >

> >>Early morning at dawn it the only way... Later in the day CP is full of pedestrians, joggers,
> >>roller bladers, to dodge slowing my times a lot. The climbs and downhills are a challenge. I get
> >>my max speed up to about 30MPH at times.
> >

> > If you consider the climbs in Central Park to be a challenge you'd better do some hill training
> > out to Bear mountain and back. Apart from Bear mountain itself there are a few other decent
> > hills after Nyack which, unlike CP, you might need to change down to your 39 (naming that little
> > slope in CP big hill I assume was meant to be ironic).
> >
> > This discussion has made me somewhat nostalgic about my time in NY, its funny how over time one
> > tends to only remember the good things and not
the
> > not so good such as hour or longer commutes (that could become 3 hour commutes when a snow
> > storm hit).
>
> Commuting does suck, that's for sure. I live and work in Brooklyn, so that's not a problem. As for
> hill training, I've wondered how so many great climbers have come out of Belgium and Holland. I
> mean, do even young amateurs travel to train in the mountains, or does the natural talent just
> come out later when they do?
>
> Steve

Wind. It is your friend. It will make you strong.

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> As for hill training, I've wondered how so many great climbers have
> come out of Belgium and Holland. I mean, do even young amateurs travel to train in the mountains,
> or does the natural talent just come out later when they do?

re: great climbers - now or then? I can't recall even a good climber from Belgium/Netherlands since
Gert-Jan T. The best climbers now are (in general) Spaniards and Italians.

Jeff

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> Looks more like a bird's nest to me.

That's dried meat floss.

I'm used to flat biking. There's not many hills on the island of Manhattan so any sort of slope is
great fun... The park is great in the spring summer and fall.... I can't wait for the better weather
to roll in. I did two laps this morning early AM for the first time since last Oct. Run down to
Battery Park then home is 28 miles total. The days are longer now.

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>As for hill training, I've wondered how so many great climbers have
>>
>>come out of Belgium and Holland. I mean, do even young amateurs travel to train in the mountains,
>>or does the natural talent just come out later when they do?
>>

> re: great climbers - now or then? I can't recall even a good climber from Belgium/Netherlands
> since Gert-Jan T. The best climbers now are (in general) Spaniards and Italians.
>
> Jeff

The past, I guess--stuck in the past, like most old farts. I'd almost forgotten
about "Testo".

Steve

victor wrote:

> I'm used to flat biking. There's not many hills on the island of Manhattan so any sort of slope is
> great fun... The park is great in the spring summer and fall.... I can't wait for the better
> weather to roll in. I did two laps this morning early AM for the first time since last Oct. Run
> down to Battery Park then home is 28 miles total. The days are longer now.

Boy, I'm getting old. My wife had cataract surgery last week at Mt. Sinai, and I walked down
Lex from 103rd Street, to meet her and found myself saying--"Hey, this is a hill!"

Steve

Robert Chung wrote:

> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>
>>Looks more like a bird's nest to me.
>

> That's dried meat floss.

How am I gonna explain my confusion at the next dental convention?

Steve

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>
>> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>>
>>> Looks more like a bird's nest to me.
>>

>> That's dried meat floss.
>>

> How am I gonna explain my confusion at the next dental convention?

Perhaps Heather's son can help. He's good at explaining things.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> As for hill training, I've wondered how so many great climbers have
> > come out of Belgium and Holland. I mean, do even young amateurs travel to train in the
> > mountains, or does the natural talent just come out later when they do?
> >
> re: great climbers - now or then? I can't recall even a good climber from Belgium/Netherlands
> since Gert-Jan T. The best climbers now are (in
general)
> Spaniards and Italians.

Oddly enough, Mr. Testosterone is still winning races. Was this a hilly one?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=mtb/2004/feb04/balears041

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff Jones wrote:
>

> > re: great climbers - now or then? I can't recall even a good climber
from
> > Belgium/Netherlands since Gert-Jan T. The best climbers now are (in
general)
> > Spaniards and Italians.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> The past, I guess--stuck in the past, like most old farts. I'd almost forgotten about "Testo".

Bit of a question mark, but then again ya still gotta have talent.

Going back: Van Impe & Charly Gaul (although Luxembourg isn't exactly flat) definitely. Merckx I
guess by default as he was good at everything. <large lacunae in historical cycling knowledge
suddenly appear. Turns off computer>

Jeff