Newbie overtraining?

Robert Chung wrote:

> h squared wrote:
> >
> > i thought at first you were pulling my leg, but i looked it up and it's true. holy ****!
>
> Your son probably knew.

yeah, but he's out of it. (still trying to recover from his viewing of greg white's fruit obsession.
"those bicyclists are weird.")

heather

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>>Jeff Jones wrote:
>>

>>>re: great climbers - now or then? I can't recall even a good climber
>
> from
>
>>>Belgium/Netherlands since Gert-Jan T. The best climbers now are (in
>
> general)
>
>>>Spaniards and Italians.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>>The past, I guess--stuck in the past, like most old farts. I'd almost forgotten about "Testo".
>>

> Bit of a question mark, but then again ya still gotta have talent.
>
> Going back: Van Impe & Charly Gaul (although Luxembourg isn't exactly flat) definitely. Merckx I
> guess by default as he was good at everything. <large lacunae in historical cycling knowledge
> suddenly appear. Turns off computer>
>
> Jeff

That must be the first time the word "lacunae" has been used on rbr--congrats!

Steve

h squared <[email protected]> wrote:
> Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> > The supersizing and de-chewification of the bagel as it becomes assimilated into mainstream
> > culture is a tragedy.

> but will bob write opera about it?

> i didn't realize till today that bicyclists have a strange obsession for bagels. is it because
> their bodies are desperate for carbs, or is it maybe the symbolic wheel shape of the bagel
> itself ??

Both no doubt, but also a properly boiled and then baked bagel has a glossy crust (as you know) and
tough consistency which makes it ideal for surviving the rough environment of a jersey pocket two
hours into a long ride. Try that with a Krispy Kreme, or Noah's, or Wonder Bread. I'm sure Ewoud can
recall for us some legend about Joop Zoetemelk staving off the bonk with a bagel during some long-
forgotten Belgian classic.

> heather (bakes her own crappy bagels)

Cool. I can bake ruggelach (not as hard as they look, if you learn from a master) but have not tried
bagels. The need for decent bagels prompted me to find a couple of recipes, but haven't had time to
try them. It's amazing how much variation there is in bagel recipes - lots of them have eggs, for
example. Hello, only _egg_ bagels should have eggs!

Steven Bornfeld wrote

B. Lafferty wrote:
> Wind. It is your friend. It will make you strong.

Not much of that in NY, if there was the air wouldn;t smell as vile as it does in the summer.

On 3 Mar 2004 18:27:35 -0800, Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> legend about Joop Zoetemelk staving off the bonk with a bagel during some long-forgotten Belgian
> classic.

Are you kidding?! His uncle and aunt used to own a bagelshop, the first in Holland, in the centre
of Amsterdam. Later on, jewish cuisine began to have a hard time against other more exotic
foreign specialties. Joop being the greatest jewish cyclist ever, always remained true to the
bagel of course.

Ewoud Dronkert schreef:

> Joop being the greatest jewish cyclist ever, always remained true to the bagel of course.

More impressive is his respect for the sabbath.

On Saturdays he remained loyal to the ban on working by never taking a pull. Even when he won the
Gold Race, on a Saturday, he made an agreement he could ride away at 32 kmh, which can't be
considered working for a pro.

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Ewoud Dronkert schreef:
>
> > Joop being the greatest jewish cyclist ever, always remained true to the bagel of course.
>
> More impressive is his respect for the sabbath.
>
> On Saturdays he remained loyal to the ban on working by never taking a pull. Even when he won the
> Gold Race, on a Saturday, he made an agreement he could ride away at 32 kmh, which can't be
> considered working for a pro.

When did the ultimate wheelsucker ever take a pull?

"B. Lafferty" schreef:

> "
>
> When did the ultimate wheelsucker ever take a pull?

Exactly, that's how his orthodoxy was overseen. His fellow riders tolerated and respected his riding
style on Saturday, and as Joop benefited hugely, he soon expanded his behavior to any other day.
Noone questioned that.

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> Cool. I can bake ruggelach (not as hard as they look, if you learn from a master) but have not
> tried bagels. The need for decent bagels prompted me to find a couple of recipes, but haven't had
> time to try them. It's amazing how much variation there is in bagel recipes - lots of them have
> eggs, for example. Hello, only _egg_ bagels should have eggs!

oooo, i made some really bad ruggelach at that old job. (well, you notice i didn't continue in the
baking profession..i was not an inspired baker.)

i could use a good bagel recipe or two myself. the one i have is ok (no eggs!), but it's fun to
experiment. and btw, (cover your ears, tritonrider) i make dough in either the bread machine or in
the kitchen aid. saves a ton of time. otherwise i'd never make anything, knowing how lazy i am.

i don't know how much bread type stuff you've made in the past, but different types of flour and
even different brands of the same "type" can make a difference in a recipe.

also, be careful not to burn the hell out of your face with escaping steam when opening the oven
door. that was "fun"..

heather

Van Hoorebeeck Bart wrote:

>More impressive is his respect for the sabbath.
>
>On Saturdays he remained loyal to the ban on working by never taking a pull. Even when he won the
>Gold Race, on a Saturday, he made an agreement he could ride away at 32 kmh, which can't be
>considered working for a pro.

Didn't they climb the Causberg back then?

Jenko

Jenko wrote:

> Didn't they climb the Causberg back then?

Climbing the Cauberg at 32km/h is impressive.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:02:36 -0500, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>>> That must be the first time the word "lacunae" has been used on rbr--congrats!
>>
>> Unquoted, and even referring to himself, yes, but otherwise:
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=56qeo8%249h0%40hplms2.hpl.hp.com
>
> Unbelievable!

Perhaps you meant to use "inconceivable?" No matter, I do not think it means what you
think it means.

Robert Chung wrote:
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
>
>>Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

>>>Unquoted, and even referring to himself, yes, but otherwise:
>>>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=56qeo8%249h0%40hplms2.hpl.hp.com
>>
>> Unbelievable!
>

> Perhaps you meant to use "inconceivable?" No matter, I do not think it means what you think
> it means.

I think you mean "unbearable", not "inconceivable". Possibly "impenetrable".

Stewart Fleming wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

>>> Unbelievable!
>>

>> Perhaps you meant to use "inconceivable?" No matter, I do not think it means what you think
>> it means.
>>

> I think you mean "unbearable", not "inconceivable". Possibly "impenetrable".

Inscrutable.

Robert Chung wrote:

> Stewart Fleming wrote:
>
>>Robert Chung wrote:

>>>Perhaps you meant to use "inconceivable?" No matter, I do not think it means what you think
>>>it means.
>>>

>>I think you mean "unbearable", not "inconceivable". Possibly "impenetrable".
>

> Inscrutable.

Not under-managed.

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > Stewart Fleming wrote:
> >>I think you mean "unbearable", not "inconceivable". Possibly "impenetrable".
> > Inscrutable.
> Not under-managed.

From now on, approved rbr terminology for "bagels" will be "lacunae-related dough activities." Thank
you for your attention in this matter.