Newbie Q: Brake pad clearance to rim

OrangeCntyCarl

Jul 14, 2003
Hi all,

I'm 42 and just bought a new Giant OCR-2. My last road bike was a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate "Sport". :)
So I'm basically a newbie these days.

The bike was set up at the LBS and I left the store last night with it.

I took the first ride today and noticed the front brake pads have VERY LITTLE clearance with the rim. I can hear rubbing noises when I ride. The wheel appears to turn OK even when I lift the front up and manually turn the wheel.

When I got home, I inserted a piece of paper in between the pads and the rim.
On the right side, the paper slides freely. On the left side, the paper still passes in between the pad and rim, but there is a little bit of resistance to the movement of the paper.

Q: Is this normal? Do pads have to be broken in and then the rubbing will cease after a few rides? Or should I just take the bike back to the LBS to have them check it out? My Schwinn years ago had a lot more clearance and I never had problems braking back then.

This is not the same thing as squealing when I apply the brakes....I don't get squeals.

(I've tried searching for information on pad clearance and every match talks about squealing noises when braking.)

Thanks for any help.
Carl :)

Very good tutorial

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=caliperbrakes

This part is what you're looking for, I think: "Squeeze lever to test pad clearance. Use barrel adjuster to adjust pad clearance. Set clearance for approximately 3-4mm (1/8") per side from pad to rim. Draw slack from system using inner-wire pinch bolt if barrel adjuster is set out to its limit."

Hope that helps. I'd say take the bike to the shop and make 'em fix it! :mad:

BTW: How's that Giant working out for you? I had looked at them when I bought my new bike about a month ago, decided on a Specialized instead.

WP33 said:
Very good tutorial

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=caliperbrakes

BTW: How's that Giant working out for you? I had looked at them when I bought my new bike about a month ago, decided on a Specialized instead.

Wow...quick response! Thanks!

I'm very happy overall with the bike. To me, it's very light. For Lance Armstrong, it would probably be heavy. :D

Although this is my first road bike in years, I bought a Giant Iguana Disc mountain bike 2 years ago. It also has a lot of bang for the buck. I was really impressed with the Giant brand and decided to check into the OCR-2. All the reviews say you get a lot for your money and it appears to be true.

I will probably look at the website you suggested and take a crack at adjustment myself. It's about 8 miles on freeways to the bike shop and I'm pretty good with tools...and patient. If it appears I'm going to mess something up, I will take it back and let them do it.

Thanks again!
Carl

I had a Giant AC for a while before I got back into road again, and yeah, they do a lot for the price, which is why I was looking at them as a potential new road bike.

OrangeCntyCarl said:
I took the first ride today and noticed the front brake pads have VERY LITTLE clearance with the rim. I can hear rubbing noises when I ride. The wheel appears to turn OK even when I lift the front up and manually turn the wheel.

On the right side, the paper slides freely. On the left side, the paper still passes in between the pad and rim, but there is a little bit of resistance to the movement of the paper.

Firstly, if the wheel is true then it isn't that big a deal: you won't waste power and the brake will still work. (If the wheel isn't true then take it straight back.)
There is a little screw on the brake caliper to centre the brake and even up the clearance. Turn it both ways and work out which way it needs to go.
If the wheel is true, you can get away with a lot less clearance than 3-4mm on each side; try 1-2mm.

The first thing to do is check that the wheel spindle is seated correctly in the front drop-outs, if they're not your front wheel could be off center, so release the front quick release, make sure the drop-outs are on the spindle both sides and re-tighten with the correct tension....

If your brakes are still off center take the bike back and ask them to show you how to adjust then you'll know how to do it yourself, it's always good to know these simple adjustments when out on the road, you can also assist others who are stuck...

Good luck!!

OrangeCntyCarl said:
Hi all,

I'm 42 and just bought a new Giant OCR-2. My last road bike was a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate "Sport". :)
So I'm basically a newbie these days.

The bike was set up at the LBS and I left the store last night with it.

Q: Is this normal? Do pads have to be broken in and then the rubbing will cease after a few rides? Or should I just take the bike back to the LBS to have them check it out? My Schwinn years ago had a lot more clearance and I never had problems braking back then.

This is not the same thing as squealing when I apply the brakes....I don't get squeals.

(I've tried searching for information on pad clearance and every match talks about squealing noises when braking.)

Thanks for any help.
Carl :)

Jaguar27 said:
The first thing to do is check that the wheel spindle is seated correctly in the front drop-outs, if they're not your front wheel could be off center, so release the front quick release, make sure the drop-outs are on the spindle both sides and re-tighten with the correct tension....

If your brakes are still off center take the bike back and ask them to show you how to adjust then you'll know how to do it yourself, it's always good to know these simple adjustments when out on the road, you can also assist others who are stuck...

Good luck!!

Hi Jaguar and Artemidorus....thanks for replying.

Artemidorus...I did try the centering adjustment and it still did not give the clearance needed...there was still rubbing.

I called the LBS this morning and they said to bring it on in so I'll be leaving in a few minutes.

I am going to print out this thread with responses and save for future reference. At this point (and since I just paid 9Xs what I paid in 1972...LOL), I'm going to let the LBS do the adjustments and I'll watch while they do it....good advice there, thanks!

Thanks to all for helping. :)

Carl

OrangeCntyCarl said:

Artemidorus...I did try the centering adjustment and it still did not give the clearance needed...there was still rubbing.

I called the LBS this morning and they said to bring it on in so I'll be leaving in a few minutes.

I am going to print out this thread with responses and save for future reference. At this point (and since I just paid 9Xs what I paid in 1972...LOL), I'm going to let the LBS do the adjustments and I'll watch while they do it....good advice there, thanks!

Carl

Well, they should fix it in a couple of minutes...these things happen...

Also, after a few hundred miles you need to take the Bike back to have everything re-adjusted and tightened etc...

Where in OC are you? I'm in Laguna Niguel... :)

OrangeCntyCarl said:

Carl

Carl, I just wish to chime in that I have an 2003 Giant OCR2 and because I consider myself an experienced rider and pragmatic, I also saw it as a great bang-for-the-buck bike. I put over 2000 miles on it then passed the bike down to my son as he outgrew his Trek 1000 bike. Continue to ride, it's got so many benefits for a person it's a great machine to have and use.

Jaguar27 said:
Well, they should fix it in a couple of minutes...these things happen...

Also, after a few hundred miles you need to take the Bike back to have everything re-adjusted and tightened etc...

Where in OC are you? I'm in Laguna Niguel... :)

Yes, it took about 2 minutes yesterday....I then rode for a couple of hours after the sun started to lower in the sky.

I'm in Costa Mesa.

Insight Driver said:
Continue to ride, it's got so many benefits for a person it's a great machine to have and use.

Yes....I should get down to my goal weight in a few months biking. :)