Newbie Q

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by David, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hiya,

    I'm interested in getting a recumbent bike. I've noticed that the more money you spend the lower the
    seat gets.

    So, how high is too high?...They all say it's a recumbent bicycle...So, what's the difference?

    FYI: I expect the majority of my trips to be in the single digits, as far as milage ridden on a
    daily basis.

    Thanks in Advance, (TIA)

    Mooch

    P.S. LSB = Local Bike Shop?

    Tags:

  2. "David" skrev

    > I'm interested in getting a recumbent bike. I've noticed that the more money you spend the lower
    > the seat gets.

    :)

    > So, how high is too high?...They all say it's a recumbent bicycle...So, what's the difference?

    If you can't reach the ground its probably too high. Since theres no set formula like on diamond
    frames shapes and designs vary. Best advice would be to go somewhere where you can test a bunch of
    bikes and find out what you like.

    Bentrider Online also has a recumbent guide thats good reading. http://www.bentrideronline.com/
    (Most beginner and/or cheap bikes are the CLWB category.)

    > FYI: I expect the majority of my trips to be in the single digits, as far as milage ridden on a
    > daily basis.

    You might surprise yourself if you get the bent bug. :)

    >> P.S. LSB = Local Bike Shop?

    LBS but yes.

    Regards Mikael

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    > "David" alleged:
    >
    >> I'm interested in getting a recumbent bike. I've noticed that the more money you spend the lower
    >> the seat gets.

    >> So, how high is too high?...They all say it's a recumbent bicycle...So, what's the difference?

    When waiting at traffic lights and such, it is good to be able to comfortably reach the ground with
    one foot. IF you eventually use SPD or similar pedals(strongly suggested), you may want to pay
    particular attention to this aspect. Lower bikes take better advantage of aerodynamics. I like low
    trikes best. They are stable on all sorts of pavements and conditions, and best of all no balancing
    at stops. Unfortunately, beginner trikes are generally more costly than two wheeled bents, and the
    extra weight of a third wheel and all it entails usually slow one down a bit, but not necessarily
    so. www.recumbents.com has a fairly good listing of 2 and 3 wheelers. For a better idea of what is
    available in trikes http://home.mindspring.com/~kb7mxu/index.htm

    Oh yes, and the more upright you sit, the more weight is concentrated on your bum. Laying back
    spreads your weight over more of the seat, making for extremely comfortable riding.

    happy hunting, rorschandt My Trikes: http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833
    http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287

  4. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    For flat smooth roads (laid back => faster, lower => faster, lower & laid back => fastest ==
    lowracer) Very rough roads will be better and more comfortably handled by suspension or fatter
    tires. Hills are most affected by weight though other considerations such as bottom bracket height
    seemed to have an affect. A more reclined seat will relieve weight off of the buttocks which will be
    more comfortable for longer rides. For short rides like you are looking at I would suggest looking
    at less expensive bikes like the EZ series from Sun and the Rocket from RANS. The EZ series are very
    easy to handle and are comfortable for shorter rides. Rocket is probably a little faster but may
    have a longer learning curve. Once you become a bent addict like most of this group then you can
    look at faster bikes like the lowracers and highracers or body socked LWBs (long wheel base). Thats
    how I started. Craig