Newbie Question about gearing and chainring?

brokenspokes

Jul 1, 2005
I have a hybrid bike that I only ride on the road. Listed Below are the specs that I think are pertinent to my question?

Shifters: SRAM 3x7 DualDrive

Crankset: TruVativ Forged arm, 33T w/ chainguard

Freewheel: SRAM 12-32T 7-speed cassette

Rear Derailleur: SRAM DualDrive 7spd

Rear Hub: SRAM 3-speed internal hub w/ freehub cassette

My question is that I seem to stay in postion 3 on my SRAM shifter and move between 4, 5, 6, and 7 on my rear cassette. I think that I am too close to one end of the range. I could actually handle something higher than the 3 X 7.

Can I change my single chain ring which is 33T to some other size and which direction do I go? Also, I would like to change to longer cranks? Does this have any effect on the gearing?

I hope that the questions make sense?

Thanks!!!!!

brokenspokes said:
I have a hybrid bike that I only ride on the road. Listed Below are the specs that I think are pertinent to my question?

Shifters: SRAM 3x7 DualDrive

Crankset: TruVativ Forged arm, 33T w/ chainguard

Freewheel: SRAM 12-32T 7-speed cassette

Rear Derailleur: SRAM DualDrive 7spd

Rear Hub: SRAM 3-speed internal hub w/ freehub cassette

My question is that I seem to stay in postion 3 on my SRAM shifter and move between 4, 5, 6, and 7 on my rear cassette. I think that I am too close to one end of the range. I could actually handle something higher than the 3 X 7.

Can I change my single chain ring which is 33T to some other size and which direction do I go? Also, I would like to change to longer cranks? Does this have any effect on the gearing?

I hope that the questions make sense?

Thanks!!!!!
Longer cranks will enable you to push a bigger gear so if you have a bigger ring and longer cranks you won't notice the difference. Except when you ground the pedal. Optimum crank length is a function of leg length so unless you have long legs you do not need longer cranks.
Most beginners ride in too high a gear, it is best to train yourself to spin at high revs than mash big ones. If you do decide on a bigger ring you may need a longer chain, too.

Don Shipp said:
Longer cranks will enable you to push a bigger gear so if you have a bigger ring and longer cranks you won't notice the difference. Except when you ground the pedal. Optimum crank length is a function of leg length so unless you have long legs you do not need longer cranks.
Most beginners ride in too high a gear, it is best to train yourself to spin at high revs than mash big ones. If you do decide on a bigger ring you may need a longer chain, too.
The reason I asked about longer cranks is that my foot position on the pedal seems to migrate toward my heel instead of more toward the front. I guess I have long legs 33" inseam...

brokenspokes said:
The reason I asked about longer cranks is that my foot position on the pedal seems to migrate toward my heel instead of more toward the front. I guess I have long legs 33" inseam...
Use old fashioned clips and straps, or new fangled clipless pedals (SPDs for instance) to locate your foot correctly on the pedal without it sliding forward.
I have 34" inside leg and use standard length cranks which work for me, but there is a formular for working out the ideal length (I don't know it) if you want to change.
Ride in a gear which allows you to maintain effort at about 80 revs, get used to spinning low gears. If you are turning the pedals at less than 1 rev/second then you are using too high a gear.