Newbie Question about Mongoose bikes- Mass market vs. bike shop models

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Boscarino, May 12, 2003.

  1. I am looking for a new mountain bike, and of course have read the FAQ and plan to get a bike from a
    bike shop vs a mass market store, but noticed that Mongoose (a brand I noticed that is frowned on
    around here) seems to have different names for the bike shop vs the mass market- in particular the
    "Zero G3" vs the "Wing Pro" model. Is this a case where the name is changed for the dept store model
    and has a different warranty? (seen this with other items than bikes, so would not surprise me). I
    suspect having a dedicated bike dealer setting up and adjusting the bike for me would make a world
    of difference so would the advice against Mongoose still apply? Thanks for any input Chris Boscarino

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Chris Boscarino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking for a new mountain bike, and of course have read the FAQ and plan to get a bike from
    > a bike shop vs a mass market store, but noticed that Mongoose (a brand I noticed that is frowned
    > on around here) seems to have different names for the bike shop vs the mass market- in particular
    > the "Zero G3" vs the "Wing Pro" model. Is this a case where the name is changed for the dept store
    > model and has a different warranty? (seen this with other items than bikes, so would not surprise
    > me). I suspect having a dedicated bike dealer setting up and adjusting the bike for me would make
    > a world of difference so would the advice against Mongoose still apply? Thanks for any input Chris
    > Boscarino

    Well...for one add $100 to the price of the mass market bike. $50 for the initial setup, and $50 for
    the subsequent tuneup, usually provided free from an LBS.

    And in looking at both bikes online, the frames are different. Zero G3
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=863216#specs Wing Pro
    http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=8

    For ~$550, I know where I'd go to buy a bike. And at that price point, there are a LOT of
    comparable/better bikes.

    Pete

  3. Grl

    Grl Guest

    Or add nothing if you buy your Mongoose at Dick's. Initial setup is included in purchase price as is
    the 30-day adjustment.

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Chris Boscarino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am looking for a new mountain bike, and of course have read the FAQ and plan to get a bike
    > > from a bike shop vs a mass market store, but noticed that Mongoose (a brand I noticed that is
    > > frowned on around here) seems to have different names for the bike shop vs the mass market- in
    > > particular the "Zero G3" vs the "Wing Pro" model. Is this a case where the name is changed for
    > > the dept store model and has a different warranty? (seen this with other items than bikes, so
    > > would not surprise me). I suspect having a dedicated bike dealer setting up and adjusting the
    > > bike for me would make a world of difference so would the advice against Mongoose still apply?
    > > Thanks for any input Chris Boscarino
    >
    > Well...for one add $100 to the price of the mass market bike. $50 for the initial setup, and $50
    > for the subsequent tuneup, usually provided free
    from
    > an LBS.
    >
    > And in looking at both bikes online, the frames are different. Zero G3
    > http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=863216#specs Wing Pro
    > http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=8
    >
    > For ~$550, I know where I'd go to buy a bike. And at that price point,
    there
    > are a LOT of comparable/better bikes.
    >
    > Pete

  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "GRL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Or add nothing if you buy your Mongoose at Dick's. Initial setup is
    included
    > in purchase price as is the 30-day adjustment.

    Having bought one bike at Dicks (kids BMX), I'd say their setup leaves something to be
    desired. YMMV.

    Pete

  5. Grl

    Grl Guest

    Don't doubt it. Your mileage will vary. Same can, no doubt, be said of some bike shops. My
    experience with Dick's was OK and in any case I treat this as a hobby so I like learning and doing
    my own tweaks/adjustments.