newbie question about training day(s) off

L

Levelx

hello - I completed my first tri over the weekend (a sprint) and am thrilled beyond words, but I
think you all know how I feel... The 1st part of the swim almost killed me, but after the first half
I picked up and got back into my stroke and did a strong bike and an even stronger run. I left
feeling satisfied with my workout schedule (eclectically developed from this list as well as
numerous readings) but have a burning loose end:

SINCE my next tri is "Olympic" size (in 3 weeks), how many day(s) off should I take before
the event?

It was a complete 48 hours between my last workout (swimming) and the sprint tri start, but does a
greater distance necessitate more time off?

Thanks!

On 06/24/03 8:49 AM, in article, "levelx" <[email protected]> wrote:

> hello - I completed my first tri over the weekend (a sprint) and am thrilled beyond words, but I
> think you all know how I feel... The 1st part of the swim almost killed me, but after the first
> half I picked up and got back into my stroke and did a strong bike and an even stronger run. I
> left feeling satisfied with my workout schedule (eclectically developed from this list as well as
> numerous readings) but have a burning loose end:
>
> SINCE my next tri is "Olympic" size (in 3 weeks), how many day(s) off should I take before
> the event?
>
> It was a complete 48 hours between my last workout (swimming) and the sprint tri start, but does a
> greater distance necessitate more time off?
>
> Thanks!

For VERY long races (Ironman), the answer to your question is yes, you do need more time off. But
for Olympic you shouldn't need much more than what you did before.

Be careful with your interpretation of "time off". Most people recommend a "taper" leading up to the
race where you reduce your training volume and intensity. This is different than "time off" where
you do absolutely nothing. I normally use a one week taper and no more than two days off before an
Olympic event.

John

congrats on your first race. you're hooked now.

For an Olympic distance race, I usually have a normal training week but reduce distances and time by
about half. As well I'll do more short intervals speed, high intensity work to prepare for the race.
The only day I take off before the race is 2 days prior, so Fridays on my sunday races, then on
Saturday I'll again do some intermediate work, very short, maybe 10 miles bike 2 miles run, 500
yards swim, but include some 30 second sprints to get things flowing.

I try to do some spinning, jogging, and open water swimming before the race and then I'm off.

hope that helps a little. I don't think you want to be taking a full 48 hours off before races.

You can find some additional training articles here: http://www.trifuel.com/training/

tribro http://www.trifuel.com