newbie question about transferring components between frames

Timo

Guest
I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me. I
have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a fair
price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the smaller
frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything. Are
there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
suggestions appreciated!
Thanks.
Timo

"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me.

> have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a

fair
> price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the

smaller
> frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything.

Are
> there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
> suggestions appreciated!
> Thanks.
> Timo

Why do you think that the frame is too large?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Because I can stand over the top bar only if I'm right in front of the seat;
move an inch or so forward, and I'm ... in trouble. Also it feels as though
the seat is a little low relative to the handlebars; when I try to ascend a
steep hill, I pop a wheelie and the bike stands up.
Timo

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for

me.
> > have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a

> fair
> > price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the

> smaller
> > frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything.

> Are
> > there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice

and
> > suggestions appreciated!
> > Thanks.
> > Timo

> Why do you think that the frame is too large?
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
> The rest I've just wasted.

"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me. I
> have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame

Hope this one fits you better.

> but was wondering what a fair
> price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the smaller
> frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything. Are
> there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
> suggestions appreciated!

Lots of it is trivial. More will be easy if you find a good DIY bike website. A web
search might turn up something good. Also, there's lots of info here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Moving the headset (the bearing setup for the steer tube) is more
complicated. You can find instructions online, but might as well pay pros with
specialized tools to do it for you. You may not have to though. Used frames
often come with a headset installed.

The right (drive) side of the bottom bracket uses left hand threads (be aware so you
don't start turning it the wrong way. Look at the threads in the BB shell of the new frame
to make sure you get it right.

I'd install new cables on the new frame. They make tools to cut the housing, but I find a
Dremel tool with a cutting wheel work a lot better for me.

Things that might not be the same from one frame to the other:
Seat post diameter.
Seat post clamp size (does the frame already have a clamp?).
Bottom bracket shell width
Front Der. size (seat tube diameter).
And the lengths of the cables and bits of cable housing you will need.

David said:
"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me. I
> have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame

Hope this one fits you better.

> but was wondering what a fair
> price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the smaller
> frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything. Are
> there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
> suggestions appreciated!

Lots of it is trivial. More will be easy if you find a good DIY bike website. A web
search might turn up something good. Also, there's lots of info here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

Moving the headset (the bearing setup for the steer tube) is more
complicated. You can find instructions online, but might as well pay pros with
specialized tools to do it for you. You may not have to though. Used frames
often come with a headset installed.

The right (drive) side of the bottom bracket uses left hand threads (be aware so you
don't start turning it the wrong way. Look at the threads in the BB shell of the new frame
to make sure you get it right.

I'd install new cables on the new frame. They make tools to cut the housing, but I find a
Dremel tool with a cutting wheel work a lot better for me.

Things that might not be the same from one frame to the other:
Seat post diameter.
Seat post clamp size (does the frame already have a clamp?).
Bottom bracket shell width
Front Der. size (seat tube diameter).
And the lengths of the cables and bits of cable housing you will need.

It's also possible the headset is not the same size, you would need new forks then.
what is the new frame you are getting?

Timo said...

> I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me. I
> have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a fair
> price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the smaller
> frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything. Are
> there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
> suggestions appreciated!
> Thanks.
> Timo

This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, then, no, you
can't do it yourself. You are looking at about $150 for a frame swap,
maybe a little more or less depending on the shop. You can't do it your
self without several special tools, and the price of tools and time
invested would make the $150 sound cheap. Headsets, bottom brackets and
cranksets require experience and some special tools to install. You may
get reasonably good results doing the rest of it yourself if you are
good at following directions. The headset and bottom bracket will
probably swap, but the front derailleur may not.

It sounds from your other posts that the frame really isn't all that big
for you. You can make a slightly out of size frame fit reasonably well
by adjusting everything correctly and swapping out a few parts like the
stem and possibly seatpost.

Nothing definite, only considering the frame below which has disc brake
mounts but would accept V-brake studs, according to the seller:

2004 Trek 8500 15.5" with OEM Headset
90mm, 7deg 31.8 Bontrager Race X Lite Stem
Bontrager Seatpost

What varies, the fork post diameter or its length? Or both?
Timo

> It's also possible the headset is not the same size, you would need
> new forks then.
> what is the new frame you are getting?
>

> --
> Mr_Kingkillaha

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Timo said...
>
> > I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for

me. I
> > have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a

fair
> > price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the

smaller
> > frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything.

Are
> > there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice

and
> > suggestions appreciated!
> > Thanks.
> > Timo

> This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, then, no, you
> can't do it yourself. You are looking at about $150 for a frame swap,
> maybe a little more or less depending on the shop. You can't do it your
> self without several special tools, and the price of tools and time
> invested would make the $150 sound cheap. Headsets, bottom brackets and
> cranksets require experience and some special tools to install. You may
> get reasonably good results doing the rest of it yourself if you are
> good at following directions. The headset and bottom bracket will
> probably swap, but the front derailleur may not.

I agree with the rest but

> It sounds from your other posts that the frame really isn't all that big
> for you.

Bollox

"Because I can stand over the top bar only if I'm right in front of the
seat;
move an inch or so forward, and I'm ... in trouble."

Sounds like its a good few sizes too big.

Steve.

"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
|I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for me.
| have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a
fair
| price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the
smaller
| frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything.
Are
| there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice and
| suggestions appreciated!
| Thanks.
| Timo

Most shops charge anywhere from $50-$65 an hour, often with charges for
lubricants and other shop supplies. It would be reasonable to expect your
job to take a minimum of 2 hours to complete (if they say less they are
likely cutting corners or working too fast.)

The work isn't hard, but it is specific and takes some special tools to
complete. You can also expect to have to buy some parts, such as cables,
housings, ferrules and other incidental parts if your existing ones do not
fit.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What varies, the fork post diameter or its length? Or both?
> Timo

A very old frame could have a smaller diameter head-tube. Those were rare
by 1997.

The steerer on your fork was cut to a specific length. If it isn't long enough
for the new head tube, you'll need to have a new steerer installed in the fork
(can be done for at least some forks), or get a new fork. Not expecially
likely as you're getting a smaller frame. Also, you probably have some
spacers above or below the stem (the thing that clamps the handlebars to
the steer tube). Adjust stem height by transferring spacers above or below the
stem. If the new head tube is shorter, adding spacers is less permanent than
cutting the fork to fit.

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Headsets, bottom brackets and
> cranksets require experience and some special tools to install. You may
> get reasonably good results doing the rest of it yourself if you are
> good at following directions. The headset and bottom bracket will
> probably swap, but the front derailleur may not.

I acquired Shimano Deore spacers for that. It only works if you're going
down in size though

The BB is pretty easy, and requires simple, inexpensive tools (unlike
the expensive tools they sell for headset work). The total cost could
be much lower if the LBS just does the headset. Furthermore doing
the easier stuff could prove instructive.

Furthermore doing
> the easier stuff could prove instructive.

Or destructive if it's not done right. I have seen bikes that "worked" but
were on their last threads when they came into the shop... dangerous
machines that may very well have killed if the brakes hadn't worked at a
particular intersection.

If I were the OP, I would assemble as much as I could myself, and then bring
the whole thing to a shop to once-over it. Any shop should give a free
estimate with a 5-minute examination.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I appreciate the candor :)
Timo

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Timo said...
>
> > I recently bought a used 2002 Trek 4900 but the frame is too large for

me. I
> > have a chance to buy a smaller pre-owned frame but was wondering what a

fair
> > price would be for a bike shop to transfer all the components to the

smaller
> > frame. I'm willing to try it myself but only if I can't ruin anything.

Are
> > there instructions somewhere on the web showing how it's done? Advice

and
> > suggestions appreciated!
> > Thanks.
> > Timo

> This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, then, no, you
> can't do it yourself. You are looking at about $150 for a frame swap,
> maybe a little more or less depending on the shop. You can't do it your
> self without several special tools, and the price of tools and time
> invested would make the $150 sound cheap. Headsets, bottom brackets and
> cranksets require experience and some special tools to install. You may
> get reasonably good results doing the rest of it yourself if you are
> good at following directions. The headset and bottom bracket will
> probably swap, but the front derailleur may not.

I am in the process of doing that for the first time right now. Is not too
bad. Headset is the most tricky part. Don't use a hammer. You have to use a
tool, or make yourself one using a threaded rod. Search headset installation
on google. Push the old bearing out using a long brass rod that Harbor
Freight sells or similar. Bottom bracket needs a tool, but no big deal. Cost
around $7 Crank need a tool, and cost around $10. Probably have to buy a new
seat post since there are a zillion diameters out there. Be sure the front
shocks are about the same height. 80mm travel and 60mm travel will change
the head angle by about a degree. The web is your best friend. You could
search for lots of information on how to do each part of the job.

Ben