Newbie question - adjusting deraileurs

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Badger_South, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    The problem is my front deraileur makes a slight clattering noise in the
    biggest ring, -and- my rear deraileur won't go into the smallest ring. I
    have the twist handlebar shifters and if I turn it -past- the "3" and hold
    it there the clattering stops.

    I've looked at Sheldon Brown's site and pondering adjusting my deraileur,
    but I'm still having trouble.

    I've located the adjustment screws (duh), but I'm unsure of which way to
    turn them.

    Is there a clear/clearer procedure for doing this so I don't mess up the
    bike, or should I take it into the LBS and watch them adjust it?

    Seems like it should be easy, but I'm worried I'll mess it up more,
    especially since Sheldon's site talks about multiple adjustments and
    adjusting the cable length also.

    Sorry for the dumb question. ;->

    -B

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

  3. DDB

    DDB Guest

  4. TopCounsel

    TopCounsel Guest

    >naaahhh fiddle away it's the best way to learn!!!

    Well, sort of. Just keep in mind that the screws are "limiting screws"-- they
    limit the amount of travel in or out of the derailleur body. If the thing
    needs to go farther one way to stop clicking on the chain, for example, you
    need to be sure it "can" go farther, e.g., turn the screw in the direction
    that increases the amount of travel. If you can't get enough travel to reach
    some of your cogs, then you definitely need to turn the screw(s) in such a
    direction that will also increase the amount fo travel. If you have already
    reached max travel and still can't reach some of your cogs, then the thing may
    need to be remounted or swapped out for a different derailleur.

  5. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:14:29 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >> Is there a clear/clearer procedure for doing this so I don't mess up the
    >> bike, or should I take it into the LBS and watch them adjust it?

    >Try http://www.parktool.com/ or http://bike.shimano.com/
    >If you still can't figure it out, take it to your shop. Random fiddling will
    >just make it worse.

    The trouble with 'do-it-yourself' and guessing, is that there's a
    temptation to turn it without first marking where it is at the start of
    'tinkering', and then, it strikes you that maybe you can see it (the
    derailleur) move, so you screw it in and out a bunch, without counting
    turns, and learn 'no, you can't see it move'. Oops! ;-<

    This diagram at parktool says it all, though, and I'm sure I can get it
    now:

    http://www.parktool.com/images/TTOL/der_hlimit.gif

    Thx! ;-)

    -B
    PS, next time I have to take the bike in for something, I'll get the guy to
    go over it. I'm usually in there once every six months for something.

    PPS - I got the chattering to stop on the front chain. Yay, me. (don't ask
    me which way I turned it)

  6. TopCounsel

    TopCounsel Guest

    >If you have already
    >reached max travel and still can't reach some of your cogs, then the thing
    >may
    >need to be remounted or swapped out for a different derailleur.

    Forgot one thing here. If max travel isn't enough after adjusting the screws,
    check to be sure you still have tension on the derailleur cable at that point.
    If not, you may be able to increase its travel by unclamping the cable, pulling
    it tight, and reclamping it.

  7. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The problem is my front deraileur makes a slight clattering noise in the
    > biggest ring, -and- my rear deraileur won't go into the smallest ring. I
    > have the twist handlebar shifters and if I turn it -past- the "3" and hold
    > it there the clattering stops.
    >
    > I've looked at Sheldon Brown's site and pondering adjusting my deraileur,
    > but I'm still having trouble.
    >
    > I've located the adjustment screws (duh), but I'm unsure of which way to
    > turn them.
    >
    > Is there a clear/clearer procedure for doing this so I don't mess up the
    > bike, or should I take it into the LBS and watch them adjust it?
    >
    > Seems like it should be easy, but I'm worried I'll mess it up more,
    > especially since Sheldon's site talks about multiple adjustments and
    > adjusting the cable length also.
    >
    > Sorry for the dumb question. ;->

    Take a look at Barnett's Manual:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

    If I was you I'd save it all, and maybe even print some of it out.

    C.Q.C.

  8. From: [email protected] (Badger_South)
    >The problem is my front derailer makes
    >a slight clattering noise in the biggest
    >ring, -and- my rear derailer won't go
    >into the smallest ring. I have the twist
    >handlebar shifters and if I turn it -past-
    >the "3" and hold it there the clattering
    >stops.

    >I've looked at Sheldon Brown's site and
    >pondering adjusting my derailer, but I'm
    >still having trouble.

    >I've located the adjustment screws (duh),
    >but I'm unsure of which way to turn
    >them. Is there a clear/clearer procedure
    >for doing this so I don't mess up the bike,
    >or should I take it into the LBS and watch
    >them adjust it?

    >Seems like it should be easy, but I'm
    >worried I'll mess it up more, especially
    >since Sheldon's site talks about multiple
    >adjustments and adjusting the cable
    >length also.

    >Sorry for the dumb question. ;->
    >-B

    Sounds like you have GripShifts, or some clone. I don't, but all
    shifters work the same way. They pull the cable a certain amount and the
    derailer moves a certain amount. ALL adjusting screws are right hand
    screws. i.e. "Righty tighty, Lefty loosey".

    If the chattering stops when you turn the shifter past 3 (by this I
    surmise you are now referring to the front shifter), then your cable is
    too loose. There should be an adjusting barrel somewhere along the
    length of the cable, most likely where it leaves the shifter. Unscrewing
    this barrel will tighten the cable.

    Put the bike in the big ring and unscrew the barrel until the chattering
    stops (you should be in the smallest cog when you do this).

    As for the smallest rear cog, when you shift into it (or try to), is the
    cable leading to the rear derailer slack? If so, the high gear limit
    screw on the derailler is too tight (they should be marked H and L, you
    may need a magnifying glass and bright light to see them). loosen the
    one marked H.

    However, if the cable is still taut when you try to shift into the
    smallest gear, then your cable is too tight. Look at the rear of the
    derailer where the cable enters it. There, too, will be an adjusting
    barrel. If possible, screw it in (righty tighty) until the chain will
    shift into the small cog.

    BTW, assuming they're valid, the only DUMB questions are the ones you
    don't ask. Have fun! :-3)

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  9. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:27:31 -0400, [email protected] (Chris Zacho
    "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >Sounds like you have GripShifts, or some clone. I don't, but all
    >shifters work the same way. They pull the cable a certain amount and the
    >derailer moves a certain amount. ALL adjusting screws are right hand
    >screws. i.e. "Righty tighty, Lefty loosey".
    >
    >If the chattering stops when you turn the shifter past 3 (by this I
    >surmise you are now referring to the front shifter), then your cable is
    >too loose. There should be an adjusting barrel somewhere along the
    >length of the cable, most likely where it leaves the shifter. Unscrewing
    >this barrel will tighten the cable.

    Thanks, Chris. Good advice.

    -B

  10. DDB wrote:
    > naaahhh fiddle away it's the best way to learn!!!
    >

    >>Try http://www.parktool.com/ or http://bike.shimano.com/
    >>If you still can't figure it out, take it to your shop. Random fiddling

    > will
    >
    >>just make it worse.

    DDB is correct, it is unlikely you break anything, and since it is not
    working correctly now, you cannot make it much worse.
    IMO the best way to learn is make the mistakes first.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  11. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in news:C2Ufc.1584$FB1.1474
    @fe25.usenetserver.com:
    > DDB is correct, it is unlikely you break anything, and since it is not
    > working correctly now, you cannot make it much worse.
    > IMO the best way to learn is make the mistakes first.

    You can make it worse by adjusting your derailleurs so poorly that your chain
    falls under your crankset or into your spokes. IMHO, the best way to learn
    is to read a good manual and understand what you are doing.

  12. From: [email protected] (Badger_South)
    >Thanks, Chris. Good advice.

    >-B

    You're welcome. Did it fix the problem(s)?

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  13. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:09:35 -0400, [email protected] (Chris Zacho
    "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >From: [email protected] (Badger_South)
    >>Thanks, Chris. Good advice.

    >>-B

    >You're welcome. Did it fix the problem(s)?

    Almost. At least now, I'm tweaking in the right direction. Didn't realize
    the "H" and "L" were actually marked on the derailleur. Had the wrong one
    screwed out. So I put that one back in and am turning out CCW 1/2 turn each
    time I ride.

    -B