Newbie question: Covering an attack?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Christens, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Stupid newbie question (no flames please).

    In watching the TDF there were times when someone would attack, and a team would send a
    member forward to "cover" the attack, while the GC leader-captain of the team would stay back
    with the pack.

    Since having somone on your wheel doesn't slow you down, just what is accomplished by this?

    All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with the attacker, rides his
    wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little hope of ever escaping from him, and he will be
    fresh enough to attack at the last minute and beat you at the line. In which case you might
    figure why bother?

    Or am I missing something else?

    Steve Christensen

    Tags:

  2. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Stupid newbie question (no flames please).
    >
    > In watching the TDF there were times when someone would attack, and a team
    would
    > send a member forward to "cover" the attack, while the GC leader-captain
    of the
    > team would stay back with the pack.
    >
    > Since having somone on your wheel doesn't slow you down, just what is accomplished by this?
    >
    > All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with
    the
    > attacker, rides his wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little hope of
    ever
    > escaping from him, and he will be fresh enough to attack at the last
    minute and
    > beat you at the line. In which case you might figure why bother?
    >
    > Or am I missing something else?
    >
    > Steve Christensen

    Nope Thats pretty much It :) Also having a man in the break removes the responsibility to chase it
    down so by getting a man in the break you also make your day easier

    Stan Cox

  3. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    There are some things a "coverer" can do to limit the success of the breakaway and some things that would be unacceptable. It's OK to sit in and mess up the rhythm a little bit by not pulling through when it's your turn and making the other guys work around you. It's OK to just suck wheel because your coach is in the car telling you not to work with the break. It's OK to make the other guys think they'll never win the group sprint because you've been sucking wheel all day so they may mess up their own rhythm trying to get rid of you.

    It's not OK to move up to the front and soft pedal or force other members to take bad lines through turns - that'll earn you some serious scorn.

  4. Steve Christensen wrote:
    > All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with the attacker, rides his
    > wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little hope of ever escaping from him, and he will be
    > fresh enough to attack at the last minute and beat you at the line. In which case you might
    > figure why bother?
    >
    > Or am I missing something else?

    Nope, that's essentially it.

    Now stop bothering us with your "stupid" questions, since you obviously have all the answers :) :)

  5. "Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Stupid newbie question (no flames please). All I can figure is that if the person covering the
    > attack keeps up
    with the
    > attacker, rides his wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little
    hope of ever
    > escaping from him, and he will be fresh enough to attack at the last
    minute and
    > beat you at the line. In which case you might figure why bother?

    Smart newbie are you.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  6. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with the attacker, rides his
    >wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little hope of ever escaping from him, and he will be
    >fresh enough to attack at the last minute and beat you at the line. In which case you might
    >figure why bother?

    That's it but that rider covering can also hurt the attacker's pace by leading and then soft
    pedalling. Not done as much today but much favored in years past. Phil Brown