Newbie Question: Do I *Have* To Use Rim Tape?

Steven

Guest
Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.

I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
etc.).

The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).

So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
rim tape.

Steven

Steven wrote:
> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
> Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
> use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
> glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
> etc.).
>
> The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
> to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
> doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
> as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).
>
> So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
> have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
> if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
> rim tape.

Rim tape is necessary. Without it, the tube will expand into the spoke
hole and get punctured. I prefer the cloth, self adhesive tape. People
on this NG have mentioned Veloplugs are working well too.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

On 2 Nov 2006 07:49:44 -0800, "Steven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
>I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
>change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
>to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.

It is.

>Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
>use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
>glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
>etc.).

The type of tape and method of installation is mostly inconsequential;
as long as it stays where you put it (either by the action of
adhesives of through simple tension in the material) and effectively
keeps the tube out of the holes and/or off of the spoke heads, the
task is accomplished.

>The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
>to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
>doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
>as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).

Not an afterthought, but rather such a commonplace that no one thinks
they need to mention it. It's like tying your shoes before you walk.
Leave out the step and you'll discover the reason why you shouldn't.

>So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought?

No.

> Or is it truly necessary?

Yes.

>have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
>if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
>rim tape.

Do it however it works for you. This isn't rocket science.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Steven wrote:
> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
> Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
> use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
> glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
> etc.).
>
> The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
> to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
> doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
> as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).
>
> So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
> have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
> if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
> rim tape.
>
> Steven

Yes it is a necessary item. Without it when your tube expands in the rim
and tire the tube will expand and rub on the spoke nipples and cause an
abrasion flat. There are at least a few different types available. I use
the rubber type. But have even heard of some people using duct tape. Use
whatever type you think looks best.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

Paul Hobson wrote:
> Steven wrote:
> > Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
> >
> > I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
> > change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
> > to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
> > Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
> > use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
> > glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
> > etc.).
> >
> > The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
> > to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
> > doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
> > as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).
> >
> > So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
> > have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
> > if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
> > rim tape.

> Rim tape is necessary. Without it, the tube will expand into the spoke
> hole and get punctured. I prefer the cloth, self adhesive tape. People
> on this NG have mentioned Veloplugs are working well too.

I never seem to have "proper" tape when I a set of wheels arrives in
the post, or I've built something up. So I end up using 3-4 winds of
electrical tape, as I've always got some of that handy. Never had it
fail. It is plastic, so you need several winds on a double wall rim.
Single wall rims, where you just want to protect the tube from the
spoke heads, may only need a couple winds.

When I buy the pre-made stuff, I prefer the fairly rigid plastic ones
that you stretch over the wheel. It's not romantic like Velox or
anything, but cheap, glueless, and easy to reuse and remove.

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:49:44 -0800, Steven wrote:

> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
> Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
> use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
> glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
> etc.).

1) It is necessary
2) Do not use baby powder
3) I prefer cloth, but good plastic tapes work also
4) The cloth ones are self-adhesive. Plastic ones usually are a loop,
and use no glue. This means you have to be a little careful not to move
the "tape" to the side when installing the tire, or else you might expose
a bit of the spoke hole, which will pop your tube.

> The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
> to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
> doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all.

Fixing a flat usually does not involve the rim tape, since it is already
there. You should check to make sure all the spoke holes are evenly
covered and that it isn't split (can happen with cheap plastic rim
strips).

It is the first step to installing a tire on a new wheel, though. There
are exceptions, wheels that don't have spoke holes inside, so don't need a
rim strip, but these are expensive, boutique wheels and probably are not
your issue right now.

> have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate if
> you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing rim
> tape.

For the cloth tape, the beginning of the rolled-up tape will have a hole
that you put over the valve hole, then unwind and stick down to the inside
of the rim, covering the spoke holes. The tape should end up slightly
overlapping the beginning, but if you bought the right size it should be
pre-cut to fit that way. Shops sometimes have long rolls of tape, which
require you to not only cut it to size, but to cut the hole for the valve,
but your usual consumer tape is ready to go.

For a plastic strip, just slide it into place. Be sure it covers the
spoke holes as evenly as you can, and try not to push it to one side when
you put the tire on. Plastic strips, more than cloth, need to be checked
periodically to make sure they are not splitting over the spoke holes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

"Steven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
> Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
> use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
> glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
> etc.).
>
> The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
> to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
> doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
> as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).
>
> So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
> have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
> if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
> rim tape.
>
> Steven

You don't have to use it, but if you don't be prepared to fix a lot of flat
tires.

You're right - the need to rim tape it is NOT provided in typical
instructions. Do without, and the spoke end will poke into your tube, or if
your rims are double-walled, the access holes to the spokes will form cut
hole-shaped marks on your tube. Your tube won't get cut right away, it will
happen later, probably at a most inconvenient time for you.

If you buy a new wheelset, the tape is usually purchased separately - and
you have to know to order it.

Suggest that you should avoid the lower-grade oem-spec $1.00 rubber
rimstrips - even though such a strip held up for many years on one of my
bikes. The rim tape seems so much more convincingly safe.

Yes, you can use other stuff, like electical tape, fibre reinforced
packaging tape, medical adhesive tape, but why not spring for the extra
$2.50 (or less if you shop) for the peace of mind that comes with
bike-specific products.

Anybody out there using duct tape?

"daytoncapri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes, you can use other stuff, like electical tape, fibre reinforced
> packaging tape, medical adhesive tape, but why not spring for the extra
> $2.50 (or less if you shop) for the peace of mind that comes with
> bike-specific products.
>
> Anybody out there using duct tape?

I used duct tape when a rubberized rim tape strip broke and I was out on the
road. This is one reason to keep some duct tape wound around your seat post
for emergencies. Duct tape works in emergencies, but there are much better
choices for a permanent solution. It doesn't have the right kind of
adhesive. It may dry out and harden and possibly be abrasive itself.

daytoncapri wrote:

> Anybody out there using duct tape?

I've seen it used. Bad idea. The adhesive is gooey enough, and gets
even nastier with hot rims. Don't even think about it. I've been using
electrical tape since the 80s, and even blue painters tape in an
emergency. Several winds of either is essential.

In article <[email protected]>, David L. Johnson
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

> For a plastic strip, just slide it into place. Be sure it covers the
> spoke holes as evenly as you can, and try not to push it to one side when
> you put the tire on. Plastic strips, more than cloth, need to be checked
> periodically to make sure they are not splitting over the spoke holes.

<snip>

Two more observations regarding the use of plastic rim tapes: a) be
attentive to the width of tape -- they are sold in different widths. An
excessively wide tape will curl up under the rim's hooks and possibly
interfere with seating of the tire; b) to assure the rim's and rim
tape's valve holes remain aligned when stretching the tape over the
rim, slip a chopstick or pencil through them during installation.

Luke

Ok I successfully change both my tires and I'm happy. :) I will also
answer my own question since nobody seems to be on it.

The rim tape was already inside the rim! All I had to do was change out
the tire. So that's the reason why nobody ever mentions it! It is
preinstalled (in many cases) and if it is properly installed, you never
have to deal with rim tape for the rest of your life.

If I may add, the Panaracer T-servs (slicks) are just that, slicks!
They really don't grab very well. I skidded along the sidewalk when I
tried to go up a bump at an angle. Not the big part of the curb mind
you, but the low portion that is lowered so that cars can go up their
driveway!

Steven

Everybody knows that is why.
Maybe you misunderstood your own question.
Everybody gave you answers at length.
you still have to use rim tape and that is your exact question.
Every good turn deserves punishment. and so on...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok I successfully change both my tires and I'm happy. :) I will also
> answer my own question since nobody seems to be on it.
>
> The rim tape was already inside the rim! All I had to do was change out
> the tire. So that's the reason why nobody ever mentions it! It is
> preinstalled (in many cases) and if it is properly installed, you never
> have to deal with rim tape for the rest of your life.
>
> If I may add, the Panaracer T-servs (slicks) are just that, slicks!
> They really don't grab very well. I skidded along the sidewalk when I
> tried to go up a bump at an angle. Not the big part of the curb mind
> you, but the low portion that is lowered so that cars can go up their
> driveway!
>
> Steven

"Steven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>
> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how
> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never
> bothers
> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb
> tires.

It is necessary, and therefore the tape will already be there, when
you take the old tyre and tube off.

Therefore you do not need to worry about it. The old tape will
continue to work perfectly well without being touched.

There is an exception to this: if somehow the rim gets bent, so a
spoke pokes through the rim tape into the tyre, causing a puncture,
then something might have to be done.

The first thing will be to unbend the wheel, which won't work too
well, but might get you home in case of emergency. You could then
move the rim tape so the poked through hole is not at any of the
holes in the rim.

In this scenario you probably won't be able to properly unbend the
wheel, and the rim will still be somewhat pushed in. The spoke will
then make another puncture.

Jeremy Parker

daytoncapri wrote:
> You're right - the need to rim tape it is NOT provided in typical
> instructions. Do without, and the spoke end will poke into your tube, or if
> your rims are double-walled, the access holes to the spokes will form cut
> hole-shaped marks on your tube. Your tube won't get cut right away, it will
> happen later, probably at a most inconvenient time for you.
>
> If you buy a new wheelset, the tape is usually purchased separately - and
> you have to know to order it.
>
> Suggest that you should avoid the lower-grade oem-spec $1.00 rubber
> rimstrips - even though such a strip held up for many years on one of my
> bikes. The rim tape seems so much more convincingly safe.

Have to agree with the recommendation, although my experience was less
salutary. Stretchy rubber or plastic rim strips led to flats after
15-24 months. Velox cloth tape, OTOH, still going strong after 6 years
or so.

Pat

On 2006-11-02, Ken C. M. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Steven wrote:
>> Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.
>>
>> I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
>> change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
>> to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
>> Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
>> use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
>> glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
>> etc.).
>>
>> The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
>> to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
>> doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
>> as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).
>>
>> So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
>> have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
>> if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
>> rim tape.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Yes it is a necessary item. Without it when your tube expands in the rim
> and tire the tube will expand and rub on the spoke nipples and cause an
> abrasion flat. There are at least a few different types available. I use
> the rubber type. But have even heard of some people using duct tape. Use
> whatever type you think looks best.

I got a new set of rims this year and put tubes and tires on and rode
about 3000 miles. When I decided it was time for new tires I noticed
there was no rim tape. Actually, I noticed the bulges on the tubes. So.
I bought rim tape and rode another 3000 on the same tubes. Lucky me. No
flats this year. Saying that, I'll probably get one tomorrow, at night
in the snow. I have no idea how many more miles I would have gotten
before a flat with no rim tape, but eventually it would have flatted.

Steve,

Since I am late to respond ... top posted to get you attention ... Many
of your responders have mentioned bike-specific self-adhesive tape
without coughing up a brand name, so I will ... cough ... cough ...
VELOX. I comes in different widths. I have tried just about every rim
strip that has become available over the years and have found none of
them to work as well as the old tried and true VELOX. There are only a
few wheels for which there is an exception, meaning that no rim tape is
necessary ... my Mavic Kysrium SL wheels for instance. Why? Because
they have no spoke holes. For the various reasons already given, if a
rim has spoke holes, rim tape is a must.

Jim McNamara

daytoncapri wrote:

> Anybody out there using duct tape?

Only a couple times on a long tour, and then only to temporarily fix a
person's bike who was getting flats with her brand new wheels.

The permanent fix came when we got to the next pharmacy. I used a
double layer of cloth adhesive tape (Johnson & Johnson brand), 1/2"
wide. It works so well it's what I always use. I never bother with
brand-name bike-specific stuff like Velox.

- Frank Krygowski

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> daytoncapri wrote:
>>

>> Anybody out there using duct tape?

> Only a couple times on a long tour, and then only to temporarily fix a
> person's bike who was getting flats with her brand new wheels.
>
> The permanent fix came when we got to the next pharmacy. I used a
> double layer of cloth adhesive tape (Johnson & Johnson brand), 1/2"
> wide. It works so well it's what I always use. I never bother with
> brand-name bike-specific stuff like Velox.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

That's interesting, does the adhesive tape ever form a dimple into the spoke
holes after a year or so. I've had trouble with almost all rim tape doing
that, then the tube gets little bubble at the dimple. The Velox type
strips last much longer than plastic or rubber. BTW I use 135psi tire
pressure on my road bike.

[email protected] wrote:
> daytoncapri wrote:
> >

> > Anybody out there using duct tape?

> Only a couple times on a long tour, and then only to temporarily fix a
> person's bike who was getting flats with her brand new wheels.
>
> The permanent fix came when we got to the next pharmacy. I used a
> double layer of cloth adhesive tape (Johnson & Johnson brand), 1/2"
> wide. It works so well it's what I always use. I never bother with
> brand-name bike-specific stuff like Velox.

D'oh! How obvious and brilliant. I've got some in the bathroom. Why
couldn't I have thought of that?