Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300

Nat Xavier

Guest
Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into mountain
biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Nat

Nat asks:

>I'm looking to get into mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.

Since I own one, and love it, try a Specialized HardRock. Mine has rigid forks (not available
anymore) so you will have to settle for cheap sus forks, but put them on your list of "Replace when
break" parts and ride it anyway. You will, however, want a bike that fits. That is the MOST
important thing. Brad name comes a distant second. Go try a few various bikes (there is a range
available at that budget) and see which feels best. Steve

[email protected] (Nat Xavier) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into
> mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.

If you're looking for a new bike, buy it from a good bike shop. At that price range, there is not
going to be much difference between name brand bikes. The biggest difference will be in the level of
service from your shop.

>Subject: Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300 From: [email protected] (Nat Xavier) Date:
>9/10/2003 11:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id:
><[email protected]>
>
>Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into mountain
>biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks, Nat

If you can do it, at least try for something in the $400 dollar range, and more so, the $500 range.
In that range, you could look at both the Giant Yukon and Iguana, take a look at
www.giantbicycles.com

Giant Boulder, Good Geos. Good shimano rig. Nice frame decent weight... ezi fire's shimmano V
brakes. !!! cant go wrong. Decent kenda all rounder tyres
!
"MTBScottie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300 From: [email protected] (Nat Xavier) Date:
> >9/10/2003 11:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
> >
> >Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into
> >mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks, Nat
> >
> If you can do it, at least try for something in the $400 dollar range, and
more
> so, the $500 range. In that range, you could look at both the Giant Yukon
and
> Iguana, take a look at www.giantbicycles.com

I Should Add Its Shimano ALTUS with massiv jockey wheels. altus crankset deecent cogs. have a
ride they would be $299 in USA maybe $10 more who knows im In australia and they are about $350 -
$370 here.

"MTBScottie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300 From: [email protected] (Nat Xavier) Date:
> >9/10/2003 11:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
> >
> >Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into
> >mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks, Nat
> >
> If you can do it, at least try for something in the $400 dollar range, and
more
> so, the $500 range. In that range, you could look at both the Giant Yukon
and
> Iguana, take a look at www.giantbicycles.com

> Nat asks:
>
> >I'm looking to get into mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
>
> Since I own one, and love it, try a Specialized HardRock. Mine has rigid
forks
> (not available anymore) so you will have to settle for cheap sus forks,
but put
> them on your list of "Replace when break" parts and ride it anyway. You will, however, want a bike
> that fits. That is the MOST important
thing.
> Brad name comes a distant second.

What do you have against people named Brad? Bigot.

Chris

>Go try a few various bikes (there is a range available at that budget) and see which feels
>best. Steve

Thanks, will take note of the suggestions!

"Mitch Pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I Should Add Its Shimano ALTUS with massiv jockey wheels. altus crankset deecent cogs. have a
> ride they would be $299 in USA maybe $10 more who knows im In australia and they are about $350 -
> $370 here.
>
> "MTBScottie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >Subject: Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300 From: [email protected] (Nat Xavier) Date:
> > >9/10/2003 11:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id:
> > ><[email protected]>
> > >
> > >Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into
> > >mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions?
> > >
> > >Thanks, Nat
> > >
> > If you can do it, at least try for something in the $400 dollar range, and
> more
> > so, the $500 range. In that range, you could look at both the Giant Yukon
> and
> > Iguana, take a look at www.giantbicycles.com

"MTBScottie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Newbie Question... Mountain bike for $300 From: [email protected] (Nat Xavier) Date:
> >9/10/2003 11:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
> >
> >Im not a strong rider at all and havent owned a bike in 15+ years. I'm looking to get into
> >mountain biking, but nothing crazy. Looking to spend ~$300.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks, Nat
> >
> If you can do it, at least try for something in the $400 dollar range, and
more
> so, the $500 range. In that range, you could look at both the Giant Yukon
and
> Iguana, take a look at www.giantbicycles.com

Agreed. The Giant bikes are unbeatable in almost every price range, and real performers. Best parts
spec per dollar on the market. Also have a look at the Trek 3500 and 4500. Gary Fisher has some
bikes in your price range, too. All are good. Pick the one that feels best to you. Fit is important.

-=B=-

news:<[email protected]>...

Date: 2003-04-10 14:37:46 PST Giant

Date: 2003-04-23 20:06:42 PST Giant Giant Giant Giant Giant Giant www.giantbicycles.com

Date: 2003-04-26 05:28:00 PST Giant

Date: 2003-05-02 04:06:25 PST Giant

Date: 2003-05-07 19:51:39 PST Giant Giant

Date: 2003-05-15 05:34:09 PST Giant Giant

Date: 2003-05-24 19:41:39 PST Giant

Date: 2003-05-26 05:42:07 PST Giant Giant Giant Giant

Date: 2003-06-02 05:17:39 PST Giant Giant Giant Giant

Date: 2003-06-02 05:22:31 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-22 19:20:42 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-23 06:23:54 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-24 07:54:34 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-25 14:59:15 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-26 15:10:28 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-27 04:29:04 PST Giant Giant

Date: 2003-06-27 04:30:36 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-28 05:28:55 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-29 15:05:34 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-29 19:23:41 PST Giant

Date: 2003-06-30 20:51:07 PST Giant

The am-b parrot posted that brand name thirty six times in less than three months. The most pathetic
of the posts came in on 04/23, where it was mentioned seven times in one post. Silly little sod.

JD

> [email protected] (Nat Xavier) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Thanks, will take note of the suggestions!
> >
> > "Mitch Pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I Should Add Its Shimano ALTUS with massiv jockey wheels. altus crankset deecent cogs. have a
> > > ride they would be $299 in USA maybe $10 more who knows im In australia and they are about
> > > $350 - $370 here.
> > >
> > > "MTBScottie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> more
> and
> > > >

> Date: 2003-04-10 14:37:46 PST

> The am-b parrot posted that brand name thirty six times in less than three months. The most
> pathetic of the posts came in on 04/23, where it was mentioned seven times in one post. Silly
> little sod.

So Scott's obsessed with Giant bicycles and you're obsessed with Scott. Now go pound your pud to
this post, ******.