Newbie question New Bike ??

fluteloop

Jun 17, 2003
Hi, Im a Newbie from Perth AUS.

looking at purchasing a new bike

Looking at around the $1200 for a Hardtail..

My eye is on the Norco Charger. its $1500 but i can get it for $1200 If I act this week..

Any other suggestions. ? I have an avanti Barracuda Atm. need something my size. any help appreciated.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2003bikes/charger.htm <--specs

:rolleyes:

At that price range you should be able to find a lot of great hardtail bikes; Deore or LX drivetrains (or a mix of the two), disc brakes, decent shocks and a quality-brand Taiwanese frame.

Don't forget this is great bike buying time; lots of shops want to get rid of their 2003 models to make way for the new ones the factories are coming out. The kinds of deal you're talking about is probably going to be more common than what you'd think.

From Giant you might want to take a look at the Iguana Disc, or the Rainier (which is the closest in specification to the Norco you've mentioned). From there on the Giant hardtail range goes to the XtC series.

You should also be able to find a Raceline Comp (similar spec) or maybe even an Expert (higher spec)

Just seen the 2004 Giant Yukon which has just arrived here in Perth , double discs , Deore rear mech, fluid form frame...Stealth black or orange look real nice for a RRP of just 799$
The Rincon has a major frame upgrade too.

Mmmm, I must Check it Out...

I was a Big fan of Giant when i was younger. I find people bad mouthing them (LBS' that dont stock them.) I find it plays on my mind.

I am making myself go to look at Giant. 6 months ago i wouldnt even waste my time reading the Sticker If i thought it was a giant.

people say they give bang for buck. i'd say most companies would. the only place they would skimp out on is their Frames.

I want a 7005 Alum Frame as I'd be going as hard as one could go on a Bumpy trail. maybe someone can Enlighten me with some Knowledge on the Difference of 6061 and 7005 alums.

Basically i know 7000 series alloy is stronger and lighter ?

i know of an avanti hotdog M with hayes hydros for 1300 its brand new its great with all the new stuff ariving bikes are cheap:)

why do you all need to be aussies or americans or whoeva else uses $'s y cant u all be like us purfect brits lol with our good ol' £'s

haha, I wish.

I dont even have that symbol on my keyboard. Though you guys have got some awesome online shops that I wished sent International.

Oh and too my Question about Which New bike I should get ?

I Settled for a 2004 Giant Yukon. Deore Rear. Acera front der & Crankset. Hayes mech Discs Front and rear. Rst Gila t4. 89mm Adjustable Preload forks. Double wall rims. nice giant badged Velo seat.

Got a awesome deal im well happy.

Originally posted by fluteloop
Oh and too my Question about Which New bike I should get ?

I Settled for a 2004 Giant Yukon. Deore Rear. Acera front der & Crankset. Hayes mech Discs Front and rear. Rst Gila t4. 89mm Adjustable Preload forks. Double wall rims. nice giant badged Velo seat.

Got a awesome deal im well happy.

?.....And how much did you pay in the end? i'm after the same model, best price so far is $779 in Sydney. any extra's?

cheers

Originally posted by jsapier
?.....And how much did you pay in the end? i'm after the same model, best price so far is $779 in Sydney. any extra's?

cheers

They have dropped to $649 in perth. That is only one store. (ideal cycles Hilton internet special)

they should be $769 at the Cheapest. have a look around.

They are the sweetest bikes as an all round package. Smooth Responsive ride.

Strengths: Nice Solid well designed frame,Thick butting, Smooth ride, Adequate weight, nice brakes (Strong), Colour (stealth black), sealed cable, Nice seat, Precise Shifting (fast and clean)

Weaknesses: (in my opinion) Dodgy pedals, All in one Shifter/brake lever (Arguable,i dont like them, but do the job), Tapered Riser Bar (I like risers 1" but not tapered), Brakes taking a while to wear in, but are starting to feel nice and precise..

bout it. i recommend trying other bikes in the Price range. something I didnt do Too much of. as I had my heart set on the features and all round package. but I have no regrets. i love it. I was thinking of buying another when this one Dies. when it does. (if it ever does)

Oh and. as for Extras. I went to Georges. I got a nice Onguard.tm Cable/key lock (not a skinny one either a Nice Medium thickness about 5ft in length) . Giant Bidon and Cage. and a Giant Mini pump. was about $79 value all up.