Newbie question on English/Metric Century

SilentShifter

Aug 23, 2005
Can someone explain how the cycling distances work? Is an English Century based on miles and a Metric Century based on KM?

There is a local ride that is advertising a '40mile metric 1/2 century'. That kinda confuses me using miles (standard measurement) and the metric (KM) measurement.

Anything else I should know that would help?

Kind of a silly question, I know, but I want to make sure I don't enter anything I am not ready for.:D

SilentShifter said:
Can someone explain how the cycling distances work? Is an English Century based on miles and a Metric Century based on KM?

There is a local ride that is advertising a '40mile metric 1/2 century'. That kinda confuses me using miles (standard measurement) and the metric (KM) measurement.

Anything else I should know that would help?

Kind of a silly question, I know, but I want to make sure I don't enter anything I am not ready for.:D
40miles is equivalent to 64 kilometres.

There are two types of centuries that I am aware of. One in the US is usually just referred to as a century (100 miles) and the other is the metric century (100 Kilometers, or about 62 miles) I have heard the ride of 100 miles refered to as am imperial century, but never English, so I am not really sure about that.

Look at some entries for centuries here and elsewhere, search the internet.

I don't know if I have talked about it in this forum, perhaps it was at bikeforums.net, but I rode a metric century in October 2004, and I am a big encourager of riding centuries and other organized rides.

I am in the middle picture on this page:

http://www.photocrazy.com/perl/view.pl?ev=374&sd=2004-10-10&st=12:31:44&lfn=P041010123144541dk.jpg&d=b&nts=0301&bibno=

When I rode, I was on my stock Giant Sedona DX (comfort bike leaning toward mountain) with high pressure slicks. I had a rack, and was carrying more stuff than I should have, and was running thorn resistant tubes... so I was on a bike as poorly suited as any other on the road that day.

I also weighed just over 300 pounds and I was 47 years old... I was probably in better shape than any other 47 year old 300 pound man, but I still had those things working against me.

I chatted with some people on the ride, and was encouraged by many people, and given strange looks by some others.

At the end I could barely get off my bike, and once I did, I went in and had a wonderful meal and then went out to my car to leave. I sat in my car and cried tears of joy for a few minutes because it struck me what I had accomplished that day.

It was the best day of my cycling life.

All I can say is DO IT! Before that ride, the longest ride I had done in the past 30 years was 40 miles... That day, because of a wrong turn when I started out (I misread the cue sheet because I was in a different parking lot and started out on the 100 mile route) I rode 68 miles.

Remember that on an organized century you will get suport from other riders and sag wagons... supplied rest stops, and the ride of your life.

As you ride along and chat with various people let them know it is your first century. You will be shocked at the level of support... and you will find some in the same boat

And remember, the sag vehicles are there in case you can't make it. And there is no shame in using them... After all, you did at least try!!!

Neither century is easy the first time (I am making an assumption that 100 miles is harder than 62), but I don't think they're supposed to be.

General guidance for during the ride: Ride slow and steady, take the breaks, eat, drink, encourage and be encouraged.

SilentShifter said:
Great, thank you for the advice, both of you.:)

Here is the link for the tour I was referring to
http://cbes.org/events_biketour.htm

I am going to enter the 40 mile metric 1/2 century:D
To echo what dgregory57 said, "DO IT!" That looks like a beautiful ride.

Enjoy yourself and ride at your own pace. On those group rides, it's easy to get yourself in trouble trying to keep up with faster riders. It's not a race, so why not enjoy every moment? Take advantage of the rest stops, get to know other riders, etc.

By the way, if you think you might ride in a paceline, you might want to read this document provided by the Tarwheels, a cycling group here in NC:
http://www.tarwheels.org/pacelinev92.pdf

Usually clubs offer something like this:

"Full" century = 100 miles = 160 km (I've never heard "English" century)
"Metric" century = 100 km = 63 km

A "double" century would be 200 miles and a "double metric" would be 200 km.

A "Half-metric" would be 50 km = 31 miles. Most clubs would just call this a 50km ride... or a "family fun ride".

SilentShifter said:
I am going to enter the 40 mile metric 1/2 century:D
Great choice! It does look like a very nice ride.

You still have a month to train, so bump up your weekly riding. If you can do about 40 miles in a single ride on your own between now and then, I would urge you to challenge yourself to complete the metric century. Along with the comeraderie, it is a good safe way to challenge yourself to go for a personal best.

But the key is to enjoy the organized ride, and the rides leading up to it!

so a century is 100 miles? isn't that far?

seriously, though i have done a few, i find 60 miles is about right.

DiabloScott said:
Usually clubs offer something like this:

"Full" century = 100 miles = 160 km (I've never heard "English" century)
"Metric" century = 100 km = 63 km

A "double" century would be 200 miles and a "double metric" would be 200 km.

A "Half-metric" would be 50 km = 31 miles. Most clubs would just call this a 50km ride... or a "family fun ride".

Silent Shifter,

I am doing my first "organized" century tomorrow.

I did one on my own earlier this summer, but it was an accident. It was just a nice trail that I did over and over... I didn't plan it and I could have quit if I wanted to.

Now I joined a charity ride, and I TOLD people I was going to do this. Can you say PRESSURE!!! Geez! What I am doing here? I'm just a guy who rides a bike... I'm not a CYCLIST...

Well, just wanted warn you about last minute jitters. :D Don't scare yourself out of doing something you want to do.

Padriac

Thank you all for the help and advice! I didn't expect so many replies. If I can I will post up how everything went!

The Eastern Shore is really flat so that will make it easy. However, since its by the bay/ocean it can get incredibly windy so it should be interesting. I plan to ride more and longer with each successive week until the week prior where I will taper workouts to just keeping loose.

Again, thank you. You are all the best:D

Hey, so you know. I lived through my century ride. In fact, I'd say I flourished.

I raised $1,200.00 for the local library. That was the most important thing, and I am very impressed with my friends, family and congregation for being so generous.

I also hit my goal of finishing with a 15.5 mph moving average a.k.a. 6.5 hr moving time (a decent first time, I thought). With an hour's worth of breaks, that makes a full day. But a very enjoyable one going through the rolling hills of the Perry County in Central PA. Fantastic riding, if you ever make it up this way. Everyone ballyhoos the Cumberland Valley just to the south, I suppose because it is flatter. But the traffic is lighter in Perry and the people are very polite. There are plenty of Amish, so folks watch for slow traffic. The treats were delicious. A local bakery donated enough moonpies to bury a truck and somehow we ate them all, only to find a huge lunch buffet. These folks know how to eat.

I met a new friend to bike with, and have a few new routes too.

I hope you get as much from your first official century as I did mine, it was much more than I had hoped for. Much luck! :)