Newbie question on Specialized bikes

Gyp

Guest
Hi,

I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe upgrade.

I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6 mile
commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
<chuckle>)

I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use it
for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.

Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before I
replace them.

Gyp

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
> the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe
upgrade.

> I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6
> mile commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
> <chuckle>)
>
> I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use
> it for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.
>
> Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before
> I replace them.
>
> Gyp

I've had a Rockhopper for 3 years now, I do about 2000 miles a year, on road in the winter with
slicks on, and offroad in the summer. I've found it reliable and strong. I've replaced lots of bits
when they wore out - chains and gears and brakes don't last forever, and I've usually upgraded when
replacing them. In fact, when I think about it, the only original spec equipment is the frame,
forks, handlebars, rear mech, and seatpost. I went through a spell of breaking spokes in the rear
wheel, and since the rim was pretty worn anyway I replaced the wheel, I've put a disc brake on the
front, and when the front rings got toothache I replaced the crankset and BB and pedals with Shimano
stuff. I'm 6'1" and weigh 195 lbs.

FWIW I'd buy another one. I don't think its worth spending any more for what I can do with it, but I
don't think there is much available cheaper without compromising somewhere.

Hope this helps, and that someone else will give you a second opinion.

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| Hi,
|
| I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
| the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe
upgrade.

| I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6
| mile commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
| <chuckle>)
|
| I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use
| it for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.
|
| Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before
| I replace them.
|
| Gyp

First off, IMHO you cannot buy "more bike than I need." With the exception of an ultra-high-end
boutique brand racer, it will work fine. The nicer bike will be lighter, easier to handle and will
accept replacement/upgrades quite well as it ages.

I have a 1994 Rockhopper that I wouldn't trade for the world (well, unless somebody wanted to trade
me a similarly equipped Stumpjumper for it!)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

Thanks for the responses, it appears that specilised has quite a loyal following. I'll certainly
be looking at upgrading to one as soon as I've worked out how to break the news to the other
half <Wince>

Gyp