Newbie question on Specialized bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gyp, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gyp

Gyp Guest

Hi,

I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
    the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe upgrade.

I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6 mile
    commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
    <chuckle>)

I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use it
    for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.

Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before I
    replace them.

Gyp

Tags:

2. Twohat

Twohat Guest

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
    > the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe
    upgrade.
    >
    > I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6
    > mile commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
    > <chuckle>)
    >
    > I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use
    > it for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.
    >
    > Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before
    > I replace them.
    >
    > Gyp
    >

I've had a Rockhopper for 3 years now, I do about 2000 miles a year, on road in the winter with
    slicks on, and offroad in the summer. I've found it reliable and strong. I've replaced lots of bits
    when they wore out - chains and gears and brakes don't last forever, and I've usually upgraded when
    replacing them. In fact, when I think about it, the only original spec equipment is the frame,
    forks, handlebars, rear mech, and seatpost. I went through a spell of breaking spokes in the rear
    wheel, and since the rim was pretty worn anyway I replaced the wheel, I've put a disc brake on the
    front, and when the front rings got toothache I replaced the crankset and BB and pedals with Shimano
    stuff. I'm 6'1" and weigh 195 lbs.

FWIW I'd buy another one. I don't think its worth spending any more for what I can do with it, but I
    don't think there is much available cheaper without compromising somewhere.

Hope this helps, and that someone else will give you a second opinion.

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

3. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Hi,
    |
    | I've been offroading on my cheapo hardtail for a about 18months now and after wearing out most of
    | the parts I'm thinking its time to maybe
    upgrade.
    |
    | I ride about 60 (40 onroad, 20 offroad) miles a week and will also be adding a further daily 6
    | mile commute to my cycling in June. Oh yes I'm 6 foot 6 and weight 220 pounds (mostly my fat head!
    | <chuckle>)
    |
    | I like the look of the Specialized rockhopper but worry that I am paying too much for what I use
    | it for. Perhaps I'm thinking I should go for another low-end hardtail (250/300 quid)?.
    |
    | Could anyone comment on its value for money? and how long I could expect the parts to last before
    | I replace them.
    |
    | Gyp
    |

First off, IMHO you cannot buy "more bike than I need." With the exception of an ultra-high-end
    boutique brand racer, it will work fine. The nicer bike will be lighter, easier to handle and will
    accept replacement/upgrades quite well as it ages.

I have a 1994 Rockhopper that I wouldn't trade for the world (well, unless somebody wanted to trade
    me a similarly equipped Stumpjumper for it!)

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 -
    Release Date: 4/24/2003

4. Gyp

Gyp Guest

Thanks for the responses, it appears that specilised has quite a loyal following. I'll certainly
    be looking at upgrading to one as soon as I've worked out how to break the news to the other
    half <Wince>

Gyp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.