Newbie Question re replacing gear cables

John Latter

Guest
Hi,

I'm new to both this newsgroup and to attempting my own cycle repairs
- so please help if you can!

Yesterday (Saturday) I was going around a roundabout beneath a dual carraigeway when a car came
zooming down the sliproad & zapped me. In an attempt to get my bike back on the road I'm trying to
replace my 5cog back wheel with an (old) 7cog back wheel.

I've partially disassembled the old 7gear handlebar shifter (or whatever the correct term is!) to
see how the cable is fitted but can't work it out - unless its threaded thru the 7speed 'switch'
and all the subsequent cable guides.

Can anyone help please?

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website: http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

John Latter wrote:

>... I'm trying to replace my 5cog back wheel with an (old) 7cog back wheel.
>
> I've partially disassembled the old 7gear handlebar shifter (or whatever the correct term is!) to
> see how the cable is fitted but can't work it out - unless its threaded thru the 7speed 'switch'
> and all the subsequent cable guides.
>
> Can anyone help please?

Shifter cables are generally threaded through all the way. Usually, you want to have the shifter set
to the slackest (top gear front, bottom rear) position.

This is actually pretty easy to do, except for twist-grip type shifters, which generally require
disassembly.

See also my article on cables: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

Sheldon "DIY" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
| in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
| http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

[snip]

> +----------------------------------------------+
> | Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
> | in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
> | http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |
> +----------------------------------------------+

Dear Sheldon,

All right, if you insist, you suacy rogue.

I'll also check out your wife's story.

Delightedly,

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:03:33 -0500, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>
>>... I'm trying to replace my 5cog back wheel with an (old) 7cog back wheel.
>>
>> I've partially disassembled the old 7gear handlebar shifter (or whatever the correct term is!)
>> to see how the cable is fitted but can't work it out - unless its threaded thru the 7speed
>> 'switch' and all the subsequent cable guides.
>>
>> Can anyone help please?
>
>Shifter cables are generally threaded through all the way. Usually, you want to have the shifter
>set to the slackest (top gear front, bottom rear) position.
>
>This is actually pretty easy to do, except for twist-grip type shifters, which generally require
>disassembly.
>
>See also my article on cables: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

>| Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
>| in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
>| http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |
>+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
>617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide