Newbie question: replacing wheelset

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:07:03 GMT, Ravi <[email protected]> wrote:

>So, i do not think it would make sense to change a perfect front wheel
>just because you are changing the rear wheel. I am not sure whether the
>fashion police would agree on mismatching wheels though.

You just need some impressive technobabble to quiet the fashion
police. For instance, black front wheel and untreated aluminum rear:
"The black front provides the optimum balance of light absorption
while pedalling or coasting, and improved heat emission in the
infrared during braking, to prevent thermal mismatch with the
naturally lower emissivity of the polished aluminum rear wheel."
Mostly erroneous, entirely meaningless, but just might be impressive
enough to shut up the posers.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2006 05:21:00 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Booker C. Bense wrote:

> >> [1]- well I don't on my own wheels, but I don't know of any
> >> reputable wheelbuilder that will provide a guarantee of their
> >> work unless they replace the spokes when installing a new
> >> rim.

> >Now you do-If we built a wheel, new spokes and rim and he goes out and
> >kills the rim, and wants us to rebuild it, same rim, we reuse the
> >spokes and guarantee the wheel for the useful life of the rim.....

> Great, that's one out of, what, 100s of thousands of shops?
>
> Jasper

I speak for only one shop, care nuthin about others....

Thanks for explaining all of the measurements, Ravi.

I found Sheldon's site to be quite useful as well. I was almost
inspired to rebuild it, using the existing hub.

Thanks to all for the many insightful comments. I think I will do the
following:
1) Just replace the rear wheel, rather than replace the front as well.
(How the fashion police will complain!)
2) Look for Shimano hubs.
3) Ride happily for the next 3500 miles.

Rajah wrote:
> I found Sheldon's site to be quite useful as well. I was almost
> inspired to rebuild it, using the existing hub.

building wheels gives a whole new perspective on things - you will never
look at the wheels the same old way. It also comes in handy when you
break a spoke in the middle of your ride. And looking at spoking
patterns is a fun hobby as well.

Yesterday, i saw a Shimano rear wheel, with radial spoking on the drive
side and cross 2 spoking on the non-drive side. The very first of a kind
i saw - mostly i have seen the other way around...

> 1) Just replace the rear wheel, rather than replace the front as well.
> (How the fashion police will complain!)

Don't worry about the fashion police. It is cool and Pro like when you
run two different sizes of tires in front wheel and rear wheel.
Similarly, it is "cool" to have two wheelsets - each specicialized for
the job at hand ;) Or like Patrick said, technobabble always works ;)

have fun with your wheels...
+ravi