Newbie Question: stand up pedalling

theedge

Aug 30, 2003
Hi,

I am new to road cycling and I have trouble pedalling when stand up (out of saddle), especially on flat road. I found it very difficult to pedal smoothly in circle and I feel that a lot of effort & energy is wasted on maintaining my balance.

Your advice is highly appreciated.

theedge said:
Hi,

I am new to road cycling and I have trouble pedalling when stand up (out of saddle), especially on flat road. I found it very difficult to pedal smoothly in circle and I feel that a lot of effort & energy is wasted on maintaining my balance.

Why would you stand up on a flat stretch? When you stand, you take away one of the balance points (the seat), so maintaining balance will definitely take more effort. Now, for uphils I alternate between sitting and standing, but not on flats...

Edit...I just assumed you were on a normal training ride. Sprinting didn't even come to mind...

I myself pop up another gear as soon as my ass leaves the saddle...I do this for hills sprints everything - when the ass goes up, I shift. This helped me a) have a gear to drop down to and b) helped stabilize me.

theedge said:
Hi,

I had the same experience when I first started riding - It soon became very comfortable to ride out of the saddle.