newbie question: tiagra vs 105 vs ultegra

I wonder once you progress from tiagra towards ultegra how does the
quality and durability
of components is affected?
If I'm to replace my specialized allez should I go for a 105/ultegra
mix next or just a
full 105 bike is enough for a garden variety (weekend) rider in mid
30s?
Allez Elite which seems full 105 seems to be way more expensive than
the plain allez. Is it worth it to dump tiagra components for 105?
I'm pretty happy now that I dumped the sora bike but am wondering what
I'm missing.

[email protected] wrote in news:1172699373.667285.149870@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:
> I wonder once you progress from tiagra towards ultegra how does the
> quality and durability
> of components is affected?

All these components are very durable, as long as you don't crash them. The
derailleurs and shifters can give you tens of thousands of miles of service
with minimal maintenance. The higher end groups will weigh a little less and
shift a little more smoothly. Also, Tiagra is 9 speed and the others are 10
speed.

[email protected] wrote:
> I wonder once you progress from tiagra towards ultegra how does the
> quality and durability
> of components is affected?
> If I'm to replace my specialized allez should I go for a 105/ultegra
> mix next or just a
> full 105 bike is enough for a garden variety (weekend) rider in mid
> 30s?
> Allez Elite which seems full 105 seems to be way more expensive than
> the plain allez. Is it worth it to dump tiagra components for 105?
> I'm pretty happy now that I dumped the sora bike but am wondering what
> I'm missing.

better bearings. better materials. both lead to better longevity.

personally, i'm happy with tiagra for front derailleurs, levers &
brakes, but bearing things [bb & hubs] are much better higher end. rear
derailleurs too.

I haven't ridden anything with Tiagra, but 105 seems to me to last as long
as the more expensive and lighter and better finished components. My ten
year old 105 hubs are lasting just as well as my ten year old Dura-Ace hubs.
They both have the same seals and both have ground races. The Dura-Ace has a
better finish and uses aluminium and titanium parts where the 105 has steel.
On a blind test of being handed a wheel and turning the axle by hand, I
can't tell one from the other by the feel of the bearings. The same goes for
the Campagnolo range. If you look at the spare parts catalogue on the
Campagnolo web site, you can see that quite often the same part is used from
Record down to Centaur or Veloce, as the spare part number in the catalogue
is the same across all the groups.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

On Feb 28, 2:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I wonder once you progress from tiagra towards ultegra how does the
> quality and durability
> of components is affected?
> If I'm to replace my specialized allez should I go for a 105/ultegra
> mix next or just a
> full 105 bike is enough for a garden variety (weekend) rider in mid
> 30s?
> Allez Elite which seems full 105 seems to be way more expensive than
> the plain allez. Is it worth it to dump tiagra components for 105?
> I'm pretty happy now that I dumped the sora bike but am wondering what
> I'm missing.

10s vs 9s..105 is the lowest 10s group......get all 105, ultegra of DA
doesn't do anything different..a wee bit lighter is all.

On Mar 1, 12:35 am, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I haven't ridden anything with Tiagra, but 105 seems to me to last as long
> as the more expensive and lighter and better finished components. My ten
> year old 105 hubs are lasting just as well as my ten year old Dura-Ace hubs.
> They both have the same seals and both have ground races. The Dura-Ace has a
> better finish and uses aluminium and titanium parts where the 105 has steel.

The only thing ever in DA that was/is titanium are the cogs, last 3 in
9s, last 4 in 10s.

I agree tho, weight is the 'issue' as if it really matters. All are
pretty reliable, if maintained well.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 1, 12:35 am, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I haven't ridden anything with Tiagra, but 105 seems to me to last as long
>> as the more expensive and lighter and better finished components. My ten
>> year old 105 hubs are lasting just as well as my ten year old Dura-Ace hubs.
>> They both have the same seals and both have ground races. The Dura-Ace has a
>> better finish and uses aluminium and titanium parts where the 105 has steel.

> The only thing ever in DA that was/is titanium are the cogs, last 3 in
> 9s, last 4 in 10s.

7700 free-hub bodies are ti, and it's the big cogs that are ti, not the
small ones. small ones are chromed steel.

On Mar 1, 7:08 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > On Mar 1, 12:35 am, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I haven't ridden anything with Tiagra, but 105 seems to me to last as long
> >> as the more expensive and lighter and better finished components. My ten
> >> year old 105 hubs are lasting just as well as my ten year old Dura-Ace hubs.
> >> They both have the same seals and both have ground races. The Dura-Ace has a
> >> better finish and uses aluminium and titanium parts where the 105 has steel.

> > The only thing ever in DA that was/is titanium are the cogs, last 3 in
> > 9s, last 4 in 10s.

> 7700 free-hub bodies are ti, and it's the big cogs that are ti, not the
> small ones. small ones are chromed steel.
>

> > I agree tho, weight is the 'issue' as if it really matters. All are
> > pretty reliable, if maintained well.

> >> On a blind test of being handed a wheel and turning the axle by hand, I
> >> can't tell one from the other by the feel of the bearings. The same goes for
> >> the Campagnolo range. If you look at the spare parts catalogue on the
> >> Campagnolo web site, you can see that quite often the same part is used from
> >> Record down to Centaur or Veloce, as the spare part number in the catalogue
> >> is the same across all the groups.

> >> Nick

> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

On Mar 1, 7:08 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > On Mar 1, 12:35 am, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I haven't ridden anything with Tiagra, but 105 seems to me to last as long
> >> as the more expensive and lighter and better finished components. My ten
> >> year old 105 hubs are lasting just as well as my ten year old Dura-Ace hubs.
> >> They both have the same seals and both have ground races. The Dura-Ace has a
> >> better finish and uses aluminium and titanium parts where the 105 has steel.

> > The only thing ever in DA that was/is titanium are the cogs, last 3 in
> > 9s, last 4 in 10s.

> 7700 free-hub bodies are ti, and it's the big cogs that are ti, not the
> small ones. small ones are chromed steel.

Yep, forgot about those, altho gone now..'last 4' are the biggest
ones.....

[email protected] wrote:
> I wonder once you progress from tiagra towards ultegra how does the
> quality and durability
> of components is affected?
> If I'm to replace my specialized allez should I go for a 105/ultegra
> mix next or just a
> full 105 bike is enough for a garden variety (weekend) rider in mid
> 30s?
> Allez Elite which seems full 105 seems to be way more expensive than
> the plain allez. Is it worth it to dump tiagra components for 105?
> I'm pretty happy now that I dumped the sora bike but am wondering what
> I'm missing.

I got an 05 Allez Elite. I know the Tiagra shifters are different, but
have never owned one, but like the Elite 105 very much. It is not my
only bike, but I have about 2000 miles on it and it still operates like
new. What is the price difference where you are? It is about $200
locally. My old bike has transplanted second hand Ultegra shifters, so
one reason I got the Elite was that I already liked the 105/Ultegra
style shifters. I didn't really look at the Tiagra models. Also, I was
buying at a good time, a late season sale.