Newbie question--tiller effect?

Pat

Guest
Would someone please tell me what "tiller effect" is? I was looking at the
Rans Stratus and they say the new split bars reduce tiller effect.

thanks,

Pat in TX

The handle bars swing from side to side rather than turn like a bicycle's.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Would someone please tell me what "tiller effect" is? I was looking at the
| Rans Stratus and they say the new split bars reduce tiller effect.
|
| thanks,
|
| Pat in TX

Yeah, Tiller is swinging the bar left and right. An upright's bar turns in
the center. I personally don't mind the tiller effect so don't think it is
something
to necessarily avoid... it is what you personally like.

Bill Raley
Indiana

Doug Huffman wrote:

> The handle bars swing from side to side rather than turn like a bicycle's.

So if it has tiller, it is no longer a bicycle?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Pat wrote:
> Would someone please tell me what "tiller effect" is? I was looking at the
> Rans Stratus and they say the new split bars reduce tiller effect.

Pat,
On many boats - especially sailboats, steering is done with a 'tiller'
attached to the rudder post. To turn the rudder the tiller is pushed
to one side or the other, and in the opposite direction of the turn.

'Bents with long steering columns that are swept way back have the same
effect. Although you'd be turning the end of the bars around the axis
of the steering column, you are swinging the bars in quite an arc.

The same effect could be obtained in your car bu tilting the steering
wheel up as far as possible, then cutting off all but the smallest arc
closest to your tummy. You'd get the feel of having to swing the
'tiller' in the opposite direction of the desired turn.

mike
burley limbo

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Huffman wrote:
>
> > The handle bars swing from side to side rather than turn like a

bicycle's.

> So if it has tiller, it is no longer a bicycle?

RANS started out making sail trikes. I seem to recall that some time back
you said that's where the Stratus got its tiller. Sounded reasonable to me
at the time.

skip

Thanks, Skip, for the reply that allowed me to see just how effective is my
killfile. Both of our 'bents, the tandem and the single bike, have USS
primarily to avoid the 'praying hamster' of tillers.

news:[email protected]...

Doug Huffman wrote:

> Thanks, Skip, for the reply that allowed me to see just how effective is my
> killfile...

I do not comprehend why some people use kill files. Is it a form of
mental cowardice where they are unable to deal with opinions that differ
from the one's they hold?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

> I do not comprehend why some people use
> kill files. Is it a form of mental cowardice
> where they are unable to deal with opinions
> that differ from the one's they hold?

I can't speak for anyone else but I use USENET filters because there are
folks I don't wish to hear from. There are a few people in this world whose
comments are so offensive that I prefer not to even see them. There are
also trolls who only post to start trouble. I kill-file them because it
saves me time looking for messages I'm interested in reading. It also makes
USENET a more pleasant experience.

> I suppose if one has an anti-fan club...

It's just two or three idiots from the "other" newsgroup, one of whom uses
multiple aliases to pretend he's a crowd. He's actually a stalker -- been
at it for more than six years now. I suppose I should drive up to NJ and
"visit" the guy but (1) I try not to be violent and (2) gas is expensive.
:^)

Robert L. Bass wrote:

>>I do not comprehend why some people use
>>kill files. Is it a form of mental cowardice
>>where they are unable to deal with opinions
>>that differ from the one's they hold?

> I can't speak for anyone else but I use USENET filters because there are
> folks I don't wish to hear from. There are a few people in this world whose
> comments are so offensive that I prefer not to even see them. There are
> also trolls who only post to start trouble. I kill-file them because it
> saves me time looking for messages I'm interested in reading. It also makes
> USENET a more pleasant experience.

I suppose if one has an anti-fan club, such as the "I Hate Bass"
faction, then one might not want to bother deleting their verbal dribble.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area