Newbie question

crear21

Jul 29, 2004
I have never ridden a road bike before and I'm going to buy one. I have a following question: what increase in average speed should I expect, changing from mountain bike to road bike? (in % or in mph). On a mtb I rode approx 13mph. Thanks in advance for all answers.

I've just gone through this exercise whilst trying to sort myself out the best bike option for my first triathlon. To start with I went from MTB knoblie tyres to MTB slick tyres which made on average about a 2-3mph difference. I then managed to get my hands on a mid range road bike which again increased speed by a further 2-3mph over the MTB with slicks, so all up over a MTB your looking at roughly 4-6 mph speed advantage. Obviously there are factors that effect the speed gain e.g. weight of the road bike etc but from a mid range MTB to a mid range road bike that is the difference I found. I've just moved up to a higher spec road bike that is much lighter and once the weather clears up am looking forward to seeing if there is another speed gain to be had.