Newbie Questions: Looking to buy a bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jen, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Jen

    Jen Guest

    I'm a complete newbie to the world of bikes (I currently own a Huffy bike of some sort) and I'm
    interested in buying a decent bicycle in the $300-400 range. (Don't want to put too much money down
    for a bike -- not planning to get too serious about biking.) From searching the newsgroup, I figured
    out the basics -- like don't buy from department stores. However, I still have a couple questions.
    How does one determine if a bicycle shop is a good one? I can't tell the difference between a poorly
    assembled bike and a properly assembled one. Also, what are some quality brands? I know that fit is
    more important than brand, but I am still interested in knowing what is quality and what is junk.
    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    If you let us know the area where you live, perhaps one of the rec.bicycles.tech readers can
    recommend a reputable bike shop.