newbie questions: Road shoes VS Mtn bike shoe

red_cdale

Jan 10, 2005
just wanna know, which shoes will be good for all around shoes (for commuting, long distance riding, and everyday city use). I heard that a lot of people use mtn bike shoes on road pedals since mtn bike shoes offers better protection for the cleats and the shoes itself. I don't know whether this gonna affect the performance.

Lower-end MTB shoes are generally more versatile and many of them have rubber soles and recessed cleat designs for easy walking. In most cases, it would be hard to tell you were even wearing a cycling shoe with that type of design. The only drawback? They're typically not as stiff as more "dedicated" cycling shoes.

Road shoes and higher-end MTB shoes, are very similar in design, however, they do have their differences, mainly cleats on the bottoms of MTB shoes.

Hope this helps.

I use a high end mountain bike shoe (Sidi Dominator) when I ride my road and touring bikes. The shoes are as stiff as a road shoe, but they have what I think is a huge advantage for the type of riding that I do - the cleat is recessed within the shoe's sole, allowing me to walk in my shoes without a protruding cleat.

MTB shoes and (more significantly) double-sided MTB pedals are heaps more convenient for commuting.

Going to and from road and MTB shoes/pedals, the main difference I notice is that with a road pedal the pedalling platform is a lot more stable for out of the saddle climbs. But I guess using MTB pedals with expensive MTB shoes would feel better than the fairly modest shoes I have.

Shimano's newer range of SPD pedals (M520, M540) are cheap and very good, and it'll be a cinch to find a shoe that fits both the cleat pattern and your foot.

Just ordered a new pair of Northwave Hydrogen MTB shoes from Sierratrading. I should get it in a couple days. I dunno whether this is gonna be a good shoes. Otherwise I'm gonna get sidi's......

I've been using some mid-range Shimano MTB shoes for about a year now on my commuting bike and my fast bike (EggBeater pedals). When I ride with my speedy friends I wear my Sidi road shoes but it is sure easier to walk around in the MTB shoes (they are also warmer in the winter) and I don't feel like I go any faster or slower because of what shoes I wear.

red_cdale said:
just wanna know, which shoes will be good for all around shoes (for commuting, long distance riding, and everyday city use). I heard that a lot of people use mtn bike shoes on road pedals since mtn bike shoes offers better protection for the cleats and the shoes itself. I don't know whether this gonna affect the performance.

I've been wearing Specialized "sport" (I think that's what they call the model -- not the lowest rung on their model ladder, but probably second up -- about $100 US) mountain bike shoes for a couple of years and love them. Just decided I needed to be a "real" road biker and get road shoes, since I ride about 99.5% of the time on the road. So I got the equivalent Specialized road shoes. Maybe I'll get used to them after awhile, but I really hate the awkwardness of walking with them.

The shoes fit just fine -- same model year and size as the mtn bike shoes -- but with the cleat not recessed, it's no fun walking in them, especially on concrete or pavement. (And it was a lovely wake-up call when I stepped onto the tile of the locker room at work after a lunch time ride and went skating for a few inches.)

mike