Newbie questions

Mattiejay

Guest
Hi,

I have just got a used bike and wondered if there are any good workshop guides on the net. I saw MBR
do them, but only have the current ones up. Are there any good examples?

I want to strip and rebuild it, so I figure I should learn what I break before it happens!

Cheers

On 20 May 2003 08:48:44 -0700, [email protected] (Mattiejay) wrote:

>I have just got a used bike and wondered if there are any good workshop guides on the net.

Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com

I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
loooong time :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

news:<[email protected]>...

> Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com
>
> I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
> loooong time :)

As I may have mentioned before you will never get round to reading what you came for, but you will
end up knowing amazing amounts about Sturmey Archer gears, which of course will never be obsolete.

--
Dave...

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com
> >
> > I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
> > loooong time :)
>
> As I may have mentioned before you will never get round to reading what you came for, but you will
> end up knowing amazing amounts about Sturmey Archer gears, which of course will never be obsolete.

Thats fantastic! I think it will take me for ever to read through that lot!

A few other things, whats generally included in a service? is it worth it, or should I just go it
alone. I have always thought you learn a lot more and are more satisfied on a bike that you
understand because you maintain it yourself. But then I dont want to do any damage.

on that point, how complicated is changing the brushings on an i-drive? I have heard they can
be tricky.

Mattiejay wrote:

> A few other things, whats generally included in a service?

Depends on shop. Usually, replacing and adjusting cables, truing wheels, regreasing bearings and
checking bike all over, etc.

> is it worth it, or should I just go it alone. I have always thought
you
> learn a lot more and are more satisfied on a bike that you understand because you maintain it
> yourself.

Absolutely. DIY as much as you can, is my advice.

> But then I dont want to do any damage.

You learn more from the bugger-ups than anything else :) Seriously, most mistakes can be put
right, and you could still consult a bike shop to check jobs have been done right if worried over
about safety.

> on that point, how complicated is changing the brushings on an i-drive? I have heard they can
> be tricky.

Pass! (Sorry, I don't do i-drive).

~PB