Newbie questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mattiejay, May 20, 2003.

  1. Mattiejay

    Mattiejay Guest

    Hi,

    I have just got a used bike and wondered if there are any good workshop guides on the net. I saw MBR
    do them, but only have the current ones up. Are there any good examples?

    I want to strip and rebuild it, so I figure I should learn what I break before it happens!

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 20 May 2003 08:48:44 -0700, [email protected] (Mattiejay) wrote:

    >I have just got a used bike and wondered if there are any good workshop guides on the net.

    Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com

    I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
    loooong time :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com
    >
    > I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
    > loooong time :)

    As I may have mentioned before you will never get round to reading what you came for, but you will
    end up knowing amazing amounts about Sturmey Archer gears, which of course will never be obsolete.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Mattiejay

    Mattiejay Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Page the Oracle: http://www.sheldonbrown.com
    > >
    > > I advise that you get a comfy chair and a beer before clicking the link - you could be there a
    > > loooong time :)
    >
    > As I may have mentioned before you will never get round to reading what you came for, but you will
    > end up knowing amazing amounts about Sturmey Archer gears, which of course will never be obsolete.

    Thats fantastic! I think it will take me for ever to read through that lot!

    A few other things, whats generally included in a service? is it worth it, or should I just go it
    alone. I have always thought you learn a lot more and are more satisfied on a bike that you
    understand because you maintain it yourself. But then I dont want to do any damage.

    on that point, how complicated is changing the brushings on an i-drive? I have heard they can
    be tricky.

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mattiejay wrote:

    > A few other things, whats generally included in a service?

    Depends on shop. Usually, replacing and adjusting cables, truing wheels, regreasing bearings and
    checking bike all over, etc.

    > is it worth it, or should I just go it alone. I have always thought
    you
    > learn a lot more and are more satisfied on a bike that you understand because you maintain it
    > yourself.

    Absolutely. DIY as much as you can, is my advice.

    > But then I dont want to do any damage.

    You learn more from the bugger-ups than anything else :) Seriously, most mistakes can be put
    right, and you could still consult a bike shop to check jobs have been done right if worried over
    about safety.

    > on that point, how complicated is changing the brushings on an i-drive? I have heard they can
    > be tricky.

    Pass! (Sorry, I don't do i-drive).

    ~PB