Newbie Questions

"Neil Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:30:18 GMT, Gooserider wrote:
> >
> ><[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I've never understood why the norm is to use tiny pedals - which would
> >> concentrate pedal forces on small areas of the foot - then compensate
> >> by wearing shoes with broad, stiff, unwalkable platforms.

> > I have an ancient pair of Look MTB pedals with a large platform.

They're
> > great, and I get fewer hot spots than with my tiny SPD pedals. I guess

the
> > weight weenies influence pedal design.

> My favorite pedals so far have been the SPD-R, smaller than the look,
> allowing the shoe to have lugs (or you can use the provided lugs).
> This makes the shoe more walkable withoout damaging the cleat. Appears
> to me that they've been discontinued. I may end up using the tiny SPD
> pedals again so I can continue to use the MTB shoes. I'm not going
> back to Look pedals again because I have too much slip on the street
> surfaces at lights. Also it's really hard (and dangerous) to walk
> around with Looks in stores or where I work. I also hate the smaller
> platform of the SPD's.

The Look pedals I have are a recessed cleat like an SPD, but the platform is
a lot bigger. They're about 10 years old, and they're the best pedals I've
ever owned. I don't know why Look wasn't able to penetrate the MTB market.
The Crank Brothers Candy pedal is a close approximation of the old Look,
though.

In article <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:48:46 GMT, David
> <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential Internet
> wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >There are 2 main reasons in using clipless pedals. The push and pull
> >technique which I bet most people do not use.....

> Spend a few minutes riding a fixed gear bike to see how erroneous that theory
> is.

I have.. So what's erroneous about that theory?

David.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:19:25 -0600, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]>:

>>There are 2 main reasons in using clipless pedals. The push and pull
>>technique which I bet most people do not use.....

>Spend a few minutes riding a fixed gear bike to see how erroneous that theory
>is.

You think most people ride fixed? I want to live where you live :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"eagleeye1200" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> Would like to spend no more than $500-$600 and get something that I am not
> going to want to upgrade again.
>
> New to this group, so please point me in the right direction if there is a
> bette place to post or a web site where I could find some useful info in
> making my decision.

See the "Bicycle Recommendation Short List" site at
"http://bicycleshortlist.com".

The Bianchi Brava is probably the best choice in your price range. It has a
non-compact, chro-moly frame, and the lower end of the Shimano component
sets (lower in terms of bicycle shop bicycle's component sets, not low as in
what is in department store bicycles). See
http://www.bianchiusa.com/brava.html

Sells for between $500 and $600 depending on the shop.

Steve
http://bicycleshortlist.com

Also look at the closeout of the 2004 Marin Argenta for $650, see
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47943596.htm which has the next component
set up (Tiagra).