Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cubster, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Cubster

    Cubster Guest

    Hello all,

    I am seriously considering getting a recumbent, in part because a serious shoulder injury makes the
    handlebar position on my road bike impossibly

    But of course I'm loaded with questions, and hope some of you experts out there can provide a little
    guidance. Here are a few:

    1. Because of my shoulder problems, I am wondering if I would be better off with under the column
    steering, rather than above. Anyone out there with shoulder injuries (unrepaired rotator cuff
    tear, in my case) who has an opinion?

    2. I am short, just like the man who wrote about his four foot eleven wife (I beat her by about 2/3
    of an inch!) But I don't have $3,000 to spend on a bike. I'm looking at the Cyclegenius and the
    RANS Tailwind to begin with -- any other suggestions under $1500 (the more under the better!)?

    3. Not only am I short, but I have a very small car, a VW Bug. Will I be able to easily put a
    recumbent on a hatchback rack to transport it to a better riding area?

    4. Anyone ever heard of Action Bent bikes (www.actionbent.com.) Their entry-level $695 bike claims
    to have a 20" seat hight, but I wonder if it's truly in the same league as the Cyclegenius and
    RANS bikes.

    5. Anyone know of a bike shop in Los Angeles where I might be able to find (and try) these bikes?

    OK, that's probably enough to start! Many thanks in advance.

    Best, Robyn

    Tags:

  2. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Cubster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am seriously considering getting a recumbent, in part because a serious shoulder injury makes
    > the handlebar position on my road bike impossibly

    <>snip>
    > 4. Anyone ever heard of Action Bent bikes (www.actionbent.com.) Their entry-level $695 bike
    > claims to have a 20" seat hight, but I wonder if
    it's
    > truly in the same league as the Cyclegenius and RANS bikes.
    <snip>

    I have the Action Bent Tidal Wave, and so far, it's bneen a pleasant surprise. I also own a Tour
    Easy, and am pleased by how well the Tidal Wave stacks up. Basically, Action Bent frames are made in
    Taiwan and imported here. Lots of other bent frames are Taiwanese as well, so this need not put you
    off. Fit and finish are fine. The seat may allow you to get your legs down easier then some others,
    due to its relatively narrow base.

    Tom Thompson

  3. Odd you would mention CycleGenius, that company was going to be the U.S. Distributor for China
    Mascot and backed out due to high shipping costs. I cannot speak for CycleGenius, but I think they
    would have done well had they carried the China Mascot line. I wonder what happened to the C-M
    Titanium frame that came out 2 years ago?

    Action Bent has become more popular offering a bent at only $695....I thought it was now at $645.00?
    "Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Cubster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I am seriously considering getting a recumbent, in part because a
    serious
    > > shoulder injury makes the handlebar position on my road bike impossibly

    > <>snip>
    > > 4. Anyone ever heard of Action Bent bikes (www.actionbent.com.) Their entry-level $695 bike
    > > claims to have a 20" seat hight, but I wonder if
    > it's
    > > truly in the same league as the Cyclegenius and RANS bikes.
    > <snip>
    >
    > I have the Action Bent Tidal Wave, and so far, it's bneen a pleasant surprise. I also own a Tour
    > Easy, and am pleased by how well the Tidal
    Wave
    > stacks up. Basically, Action Bent frames are made in Taiwan and imported here. Lots of other bent
    > frames are Taiwanese as well, so this need not
    put
    > you off. Fit and finish are fine. The seat may allow you to get your legs down easier then some
    > others, due to its relatively narrow base.
    >
    > Tom Thompson

  4. Diane Krohn

    Diane Krohn Guest

    Hi Robyn, Recumbent bike shops in the LA area include:
    1. People Movers, in the city of Orange They have exclusively recumbents and trikes and I believe
    they will let you try out anything.
    2. Alan's Family Bicycle Shop, in Oceanside. They have some recumbents, and you can try them out in
    a limited area. I believe that you can take longer rides on the bikes if you make arrangements
    with the store.

    There is also a bike shop in Coronado (San Diego area), located on Orange Avenue in Coronado.
    Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the store. When I was there, just to see what they had,
    I was surprised at the selection they had - Cyclegenius, RANS, Greenspeed, Burley, and a few more. I
    don't know what their try-out policy is, though.

    With any of these stores, I would call ahead and see what they have available first.

    Good luck!

    Diane and Wayne GRR, RANS Screamer, Haluzak Horizon

    "Cubster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am seriously considering getting a recumbent, in part because a serious shoulder injury makes
    > the handlebar position on my road bike impossibly

    > But of course I'm loaded with questions, and hope some of you experts out
    there
    > can provide a little guidance. Here are a few:
    >
    > 1. Because of my shoulder problems, I am wondering if I would be better
    off
    > with under the column steering, rather than above. Anyone out there with shoulder injuries
    > (unrepaired rotator cuff tear, in my case) who has an opinion?
    >
    > 2. I am short, just like the man who wrote about his four foot eleven
    wife (I
    > beat her by about 2/3 of an inch!) But I don't have $3,000 to spend on a
    bike.
    > I'm looking at the Cyclegenius and the RANS Tailwind to begin with -- any other suggestions under
    > $1500 (the more under the better!)?
    >
    > 3. Not only am I short, but I have a very small car, a VW Bug. Will I be
    able
    > to easily put a recumbent on a hatchback rack to transport it to a better riding area?
    >
    > 4. Anyone ever heard of Action Bent bikes (www.actionbent.com.) Their entry-level $695 bike
    > claims to have a 20" seat hight, but I wonder if
    it's
    > truly in the same league as the Cyclegenius and RANS bikes.
    >
    > 5. Anyone know of a bike shop in Los Angeles where I might be able to
    find
    > (and try) these bikes?
    >
    > OK, that's probably enough to start! Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Best, Robyn

  5. Carl Morahan

    Carl Morahan Guest

    I rode a DF for a couple of years with a torn rotator cuff and that was no fun. I had it fixed but
    the other one is starting to act up. I am currently riding a P38 with above seat steering and am
    reasonably comfortable. I do have the tilt steering option and having the handbars closer to me
    helps. I believe that under seat would definitely be more comfortable.

    My advice would be to go with under seat steering if you are having shoulder problems with no
    anticipated fix in the works.

    Carl Morahan

    PS. The first bad shoulder was fixed via surgery and came out terrific. It did take about 13 months
    to get back on a DF without pain. Now my other shoulder is bad as well as my back.

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cubster" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 2:49 PM Subject: Newbie Questions

    1. Because of my shoulder problems, I am wondering if I would be better off
    > with under the column steering, rather than above. Anyone out there with shoulder injuries
    > (unrepaired rotator cuff tear, in my case) who has an opinion?

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Odd you would mention CycleGenius, that company was going to be the U.S. Distributor for China
    > Mascot and backed out due to high shipping costs. I cannot speak for CycleGenius, but I think they
    > would have done well had they carried the China Mascot line. I wonder what happened to the C-M
    > Titanium frame that came out 2 years ago?

    I do not believe the Ti frame has made it to production yet. IIRC, a 650c rear 406 front was also
    planned. I think given time, CG will gradually move up the performance ladder. At lot depends on
    sales I'm sure. I think if I were them, I would be a little rattled by the Bike- E demise. Bike E
    had a good product and was getting good placement. Too bad thet did not have a sound business plan.
    I hope that the Bike E situation was a good learning example by CG and Bacchetta.

    Saturday, I was impressed with CG's CGX3.0 at $450, I think this might be the Giant Killer that
    could put recumbents into The Sports retail outlets like "Sun & Ski" Oshman's and similar retail
    chains. If I were a casual rider, I'd spend $450 on a bike. If I were a casual rider, I'd start
    looking in the sporting goods retail stores in the mall. If I were in Adam and Danny's shoes, I'd
    make sure I could deliver 3 or 4 thousand CGX 3.0 and go after the mass market.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Odd you would mention CycleGenius, that company was going to be the U.S. Distributor for China
    > > Mascot and backed out due to high shipping costs.
    > > cannot speak for CycleGenius, but I think they would have done well had
    they
    > > carried the China Mascot line. I wonder what happened to the C-M
    Titanium
    > > frame that came out 2 years ago?
    > >

    > I do not believe the Ti frame has made it to production yet. IIRC, a 650c rear 406 front was also
    > planned. I think given time, CG will gradually move up the performance ladder. At lot depends on
    > sales I'm sure. I think if I were them, I would be a little rattled by the Bike- E demise. Bike E
    > had a good product and was getting good placement. Too bad thet did not have a sound business
    > plan. I hope that the Bike E situation was a good learning example by CG and Bacchetta.
    >
    > Saturday, I was impressed with CG's CGX3.0 at $450, I think this might be the Giant Killer that
    > could put recumbents into The Sports retail outlets like "Sun & Ski" Oshman's and similar retail
    > chains. If I were a casual rider, I'd spend $450 on a bike. If I were a casual rider, I'd start
    > looking in the sporting goods retail stores in the mall. If I were in Adam and Danny's shoes, I'd
    > make sure I could deliver 3 or 4 thousand CGX 3.0 and go after the mass market.

    Gotta admit, it's the most promising entry level bent in a long while. If they can swing the supply,
    it could be the first mainstream bent.