Newbie: Recommended rides and LBSs in Birmingham?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alex Willmer, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Alex Willmer

    Alex Willmer Guest

    Hi all

    I'm looking to start cycling more agin, what with the weather improving and having moved into a new
    area. I'm just North of Spaghetti junction in Birmingham.

    Can anyone recommend good rides (gentle to begin with) in the area? I'm thinking the canals will be
    a good start.

    In the same vein, where are the better bikeshops in Northern/Central Birmingham.

    Finally, my current bike is a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. How much of a difference would I be likely to
    notice if I were to move to a basic 'proper bike' such as a Sirrus A1.

    Regards

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Alex Willmer wrote:

    > Finally, my current bike is a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. How much of a difference would I be likely
    > to notice if I were to move to a basic 'proper

    How old is your Pioneer? I have a fairly old one (its a lugged steel frame) which I have converted
    to a more roadified setup, and apart from being a bit heavy its fantastic for towpath etc. I have no
    experience of the new alloy ones though...

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  3. Alex Willmer

    Alex Willmer Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:

    > Alex Willmer wrote:
    >
    >> Finally, my current bike is a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. How much of a difference would I be likely
    >> to notice if I were to move to a basic 'proper
    >

    > How old is your Pioneer? I have a fairly old one (its a lugged steel frame) which I have converted
    > to a more roadified setup, and apart from being a bit heavy its fantastic for towpath etc. I have
    > no experience of the new alloy ones though...

    I would say upwards of 5 years, but that's just an educated guess. Judging by the weight &
    (small/sparse) rust patches where the paint has chipped, it's definitely steel.

    There are 'caps' at the joining points of tubes, which I guess is what's meant by lugged.

    Alex

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Alex Willmer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm looking to start cycling more agin, what with the weather improving and having moved into a
    > new area. I'm just North of Spaghetti junction in Birmingham.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend good rides (gentle to begin with) in the area? I'm thinking the canals will
    > be a good start.
    >
    > In the same vein, where are the better bikeshops in Northern/Central Birmingham.
    >
    > Finally, my current bike is a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid. How much of a difference would I be likely
    > to notice if I were to move to a basic 'proper bike' such as a Sirrus A1.

    If you are just starting, stick with the Pioneer for a while. When you do change you will a) be sure
    you want to keep up cycling, b) have a better idea of what you need and c) if you get hooked be able
    to buy a better bike if you want without having to lose money selling a Sirrus.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Alex Willmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm looking to start cycling more agin, what with the weather improving
    and
    > having moved into a new area. I'm just North of Spaghetti junction in Birmingham.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend good rides (gentle to begin with) in the area? I'm thinking the canals will
    > be a good start.

    <snip>

    > Regards
    >
    > Alex

    Hi Alex, You're right, the canals are great. There's a lovely loop to Wolverhampton catered for.
    Around 30 miles round trip and very interesting. One to aim for in the future, but explore 'em
    locally anyway in the meantime. The Jewellery quarter is also very interesting re canal towpaths.
    Some very interesting architecture etc. Sutton Park is supposed to be reasonable with secret bits of
    singletrack if you can find it.
    . Check on-line for MTB sites. They recommend great country loops. Cheers, Enjoy (lots), Dave.

  6. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Alex Willmer wrote:

    > I would say upwards of 5 years, but that's just an educated guess. Judging by the weight &
    > (small/sparse) rust patches where the paint has chipped, it's definitely steel.
    >
    > There are 'caps' at the joining points of tubes, which I guess is what's meant by lugged.

    Well heres what I did to mine:

    Before <http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/pioneer.jpg>

    After <http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/apgbk.jpg>

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  7. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

  8. Trog Woolley

    Trog Woolley Guest

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway [email protected] typed:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Can anyone recommend good rides (gentle to begin with) in the area? I'm thinking the canals will
    > be a good start.

    I like the canal ride along the new main line bewteen Brum and Wolvo. It gets a bit bumpy on the
    Brommie in places, but there are lots of things to see and it is almost dead flat. The Rea Valley
    run isn't too bad, although you have to watch out for the dog walkers. There seem to be hundreds.
    Also National Route 5 from Birmingham to Chasewater is very pretty. One day I will manage to follow
    it through Walsall without getting lost! Sustrans do a nice book of rides around Birmingham. The
    HMSO has them as do most WHS.

    > In the same vein, where are the better bikeshops in Northern/Central Birmingham.

    I've found the Harborne Cycle Surgery helpful. It hides behing the Queen Alexandra hospital.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk (A Croweater back residing in Pommie
    Land with Linux) Isis Astarte Diana Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna