Newbie Roadie SRAM Apex User

alfy

Jan 30, 2014
Hi I just got myself a Road BIke with the SRAM Apex as default groupset. I also discovered that I am unable to shift down to the bigger rear rings at the rear when I am using the Big Ring on my crank(Sorry if I am not using the right terms for describing this).
And when I am on the 2nd smaller ring on my crank, I am unable to shift up to the smaller rear rings at the rear.
What happens is if I do it either ways, the chain scrapes along the shifter module on the frame.
According to the bike guy from where I bought this, he says its like that with SRAM gearing.
Is this true?
Its like I have to remember which crank I am and rear sets before I change. Great shifting, unlike my Shimano XT on my MTB's but its kinda inconvenient to remember these things.
Would appreciate your expert feedback on this matter.
Thanks

Your front derailleur is rubbing?

It is generally accepted practice that you should not 'cross' the chain by using the small front chainring with the smallest rear cassette gear. Many would advise also not using the small chainring with the second to smallest rear cassette gear.

The same applies to the large chainring and largest rear cassette gear.

If your front derailleur is rubbing it is either in need of adjustment or trimming. I'm not familiar with the Apex system, but I would think any rubbing could be adjusted or trimmed out. It is also possible your derailleur needs a slight alignment to the driveline of the bike. One last thing to have your bike shop inspect is to may sure your chain is long enough to allow you to use all your available ratios.

Yes exactly. Its rubbing when I change the gears like you say. I am so used to my MTB's Shimano XT which I do that with no problems, but here I am restricted.
SO as you say, that's how it goes I guess with SRAM systems. Gotta get used it.
Thanks campybob for your reply.

That rubbing might actually be the chain against the inside of the big ring. That's prevalent with compact chainsets. I call that the sacrificial combination.

SRAM Apex, Rival, Force, and early versions of Red give you a trim position on the big ring (front) that should let you access the bigger (slower) end of the cassette without rubbing. When you shift to the big ring, it goes into the outer position by default. To access trim, press the lever lightly until you hear a soft click. The cage should jump a couple millimeters to the inside.

Originally Posted by alfy
Hi I just got myself a Road BIke with the SRAM Apex as default groupset. I also discovered that I am unable to shift down to the bigger rear rings at the rear when I am using the Big Ring on my crank(Sorry if I am not using the right terms for describing this).
And when I am on the 2nd smaller ring on my crank, I am unable to shift up to the smaller rear rings at the rear.
What happens is if I do it either ways, the chain scrapes along the shifter module on the frame.
According to the bike guy from where I bought this, he says its like that with SRAM gearing.
Is this true?
Its like I have to remember which crank I am and rear sets before I change. Great shifting, unlike my Shimano XT on my MTB's but its kinda inconvenient to remember these things.
Would appreciate your expert feedback on this matter.
Thanks
FWIW. Regardless of whether-or-not you should be using the Big-Big combination (which you shouldn't!!!), you may want to ensure that your chain has enough links to allow for that combination because if the bike is set up properly, then the bike's shifters should theoretically be capable of achieving THAT combination ...

IF the chain is appropriately long, already, then a solution is to replace the SRAM shifters with Campagnolo shifters ...

OR, abandon the SRAM shifters & derailleurs on the bike and replace them with Shimano (e.g., 105) shifters & derailleurs.

Thanks oldbobcat and alfeng, for your advise.
big-smile.png