Newbie saying hello

Hi

tallbloke wrote on 05/12/2006 20:47:
> Anyone here playing with bolt on electric drives?
>
> Here's mine.
>
> http://www.tallbloke.net/curriebike.jpg
> http://www.tallbloke.net/currie-detail.jpg

I'd never seen one before last week - I did a bike ride up towards
Radcliffe, just north of Manchester, and whilst we'd gone into ASDA to
get a sarnie for lunch another bike parked up next to us with some sort
of battery and motor combination...

We left before the owner returned but not before having a quick look at
it all!

Regards

Peter

<><

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/

Peter Scandrett <[email protected]> wrote in news:4tm69lF14ps8uU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Hi
>
> tallbloke wrote on 05/12/2006 20:47:
>> Anyone here playing with bolt on electric drives?
>>
>> Here's mine.
>>
>> http://www.tallbloke.net/curriebike.jpg
>> http://www.tallbloke.net/currie-detail.jpg

> I'd never seen one before last week - I did a bike ride up towards
> Radcliffe, just north of Manchester, and whilst we'd gone into ASDA to
> get a sarnie for lunch another bike parked up next to us with some sort
> of battery and motor combination...
>
> We left before the owner returned but not before having a quick look at
> it all!

I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and re-
strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a strain
and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The electrodrive means I
can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.

--
tallbloke

In article <[email protected]>
tallbloke <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

> I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and re-
> strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a strain
> and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The electrodrive means I
> can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.

I was going to say that a recumbent would be much easier on your back,
but they're not renowned for going uphill fast. I suppose it depends on
the nature of the weakness that makes it hard for you to ride a regular
bike uphill.

Response to Rob Morley:
> > I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and re-
> > strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a strain
> > and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The electrodrive means I
> > can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.
> >

> I was going to say that a recumbent would be much easier on your back,
> but they're not renowned for going uphill fast. I suppose it depends on
> the nature of the weakness that makes it hard for you to ride a regular
> bike uphill.

Dunno about a recumbent being easier on the back: I've just been off
work for a couple of weeks due to back pain [that pesky L5 again,
orthopaedics fans], and I asked my osteopath, who was on the medical
staff of the Olympic cycling team a few years back, whether I could ride
a bike. Yes, he said, that'll do you no harm, and may do you good.

I didn't ask about the recumbent, because at the time I couldn't have
got down far enough to get on and off it! - since then I've used it a
couple of times, and it didn't feel nice; perhaps because driving the
pedals was effectively compressing the lower back rather than the slight
stretching I seemed to get on the upright. But as you say, it depends.

--
Mark, UK
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>
> tallbloke <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and
>> re- strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a
>> strain and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The
>> electrodrive means I can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.
>>

> I was going to say that a recumbent would be much easier on your back,
> but they're not renowned for going uphill fast. I suppose it depends on
> the nature of the weakness that makes it hard for you to ride a regular
> bike uphill.

I crushed T8 below the shoulder blades. Hurts like feck when 'pulling' on the
bars forcing uphill. I'm getting to like the electrodrive I must say. You put
in as much effort as you can, and it does the rest.

--
tallbloke
"Property is nine tenths of the problem" - Dr Winston 'O' Boogie

in message <[email protected]>, tallbloke
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter Scandrett <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:4tm69lF14ps8uU1 @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> tallbloke wrote on 05/12/2006 20:47:
>>> Anyone here playing with bolt on electric drives?
>>>
>>> Here's mine.
>>>
>>> http://www.tallbloke.net/curriebike.jpg
>>> http://www.tallbloke.net/currie-detail.jpg

>> I'd never seen one before last week - I did a bike ride up towards
>> Radcliffe, just north of Manchester, and whilst we'd gone into ASDA to
>> get a sarnie for lunch another bike parked up next to us with some sort
>> of battery and motor combination...
>>
>> We left before the owner returned but not before having a quick look at
>> it all!

> I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and re-
> strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a strain
> and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The electrodrive means I
> can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.

Sympathy; I've broken mine twice (once in a cycling accident!)

I still think you're better off with a lightweight bike and no motor;
people have this odd idea that light bikes aren't comfortable or practical
or something. In fact they're both, and you'll ride further and easier on
a light bike than on a heavy one with a motor and battery strapped to it.

FWIW my road-bike is here:
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/dogfood/story/article_41.html

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'

In article <[email protected]>
tallbloke <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > tallbloke <[email protected]> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and
> >> re- strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a
> >> strain and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The
> >> electrodrive means I can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.
> >>

> > I was going to say that a recumbent would be much easier on your back,
> > but they're not renowned for going uphill fast. I suppose it depends on
> > the nature of the weakness that makes it hard for you to ride a regular
> > bike uphill.

> I crushed T8 below the shoulder blades. Hurts like feck when 'pulling' on the
> bars forcing uphill.

In that case I think maybe a recumbent with under-seat steering would
work quite well for you - pedalling pressure mostly taken by the lower
back, arms resting at your sides.

> I'm getting to like the electrodrive I must say. You put
> in as much effort as you can, and it does the rest.

Except it weighs a ton and can run out of juice.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>
>> tallbloke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm recovering from a broken spine, and got the bike to exercise and
>>> re- strengthen myself. Problem was, getting up hills was too much of a
>>> strain and I was going so slowly I was wobbling about. The
>>> electrodrive means I can get up a 1 in 8 at about 12mph.
>>>

>> I was going to say that a recumbent would be much easier on your back,
>> but they're not renowned for going uphill fast. I suppose it depends on
>> the nature of the weakness that makes it hard for you to ride a regular
>> bike uphill.

> I crushed T8 below the shoulder blades. Hurts like feck when 'pulling' on
> the bars forcing uphill. I'm getting to like the electrodrive I must say.
> You put in as much effort as you can, and it does the rest.

I've crushed both T5 and T12, and my back is fine - no pain, ever. If you
are getting pain, it isn't just because you have a crushed vertebra;
there's something else wrong. After I broke my first one, I was very
protective of my back and that led to a lot of muscles seizing up. Getting
them loose again hurt, as you say, like feck, and for a long time. If what
you're suffering from is seized up muscles, you're just going to have to
exercise a lot to the physical limits of every movement you have, and it's
going to hurt - but afterwards you'll be fine.

Seriously. I did T5 about seven years ago, and the first year was agony
because I didn't exercise enough; I ended up nearly crippled. I did T12
just over a year ago, and although it took a month to get out of hospital
and another two months to get out of the brace, from the moment I was out
of it I was fine.

So go along to your surgeon, and to an osteopath, and to a good
physiotherapist, and get each of their opinions on what is causing you
pain. Back damage can of course result in nerves getting trapped or
damaged and that is real pain. But a crushed vertebra by itself really
should not hurt or give any lasting problems.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed