Newbie searching for something between a road bike and a hybrid

CharmCityCycle

Jan 12, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been reading it for a while. I'm writing this, because I'm looking to get back into cycling, and I need to choose a bike. The thing is, I've never found one that quite suited me. My last one was a Trek hybrid, which I bought without doing much research, never enjoyed much, and which required almost constant work to keep tuned up. When I finally destroyed the thing, I was more relieved than chagrined, and I walked away with a fairly negative impression of Trek (though perhaps judging them on the basis of a 400-500 dollar bike, isn't entirely fair). Anyway, it's a few years later, and I want to give bike riding another go. I'd like to limit my driving for environmental reasons, and here in Baltimore the public transit options are fairly limited. And to be perfectly honest, I could probably use the exercise as well. Anyway here's my situation:

I like road bikes, but I hate the dropped handlebars. Hybrids seem to cleave closer to mountain bikes in my experiences, what with the thicker tires. Also, I must admit the aesthetics of most hybrid bikes leave something to be desired. I know that shouldn't be a factor, but it sort of is. In terms of riding position, I wouldn't mind being somewhat lower than you get on a hybrid, but I also don't want to be as aggressively tucked forward as most road bikes seem to put you. What I'm thinking is, maybe buy a road bike and put a mustache bar, or bull horns on it, add some fenders, and a comfortable seat, and voi la. Does that make sense? Anyone done something similar? Am I crazy?

Now to the confusing part. What bike to buy. I'd like to keep this under a thousand bucks, but I'd be perfectly happy to buy something used. Ideally I was thinking a used Cannondale, as I would strongly prefer to buy something that was made here in the US. I have nothing against Taiwan, but I don't feel the need to further support/encourage the outsourcing of American jobs. I was sad to hear that Cannondale will be moving production overseas like all the other manufacturers, but being that cost will force me to buy used anyway, it's perhaps a moot point. Do you think it would be feasible to nab a used Cannondale in good condition, and have the above mentioned modifications done for under 1k, or am I deluding myself?

Failing that, I was considering buying something vintage like Peugeot PX 10, or a Schwinn Paramount, and altering it a bit. But the weight does give me pause. As I said, I'm not going for ultimate performance. I'd like to be able to zip around town, but I'm not going to be donning any special clothes, or wearing shoes with built in clips anyway, so maybe the weight wouldn't be a big issue. I do like the idea of a well made older steel bike, which could be more easily repaired if I messed it up. Still, I imagine climbing hills would be harder, and lugging it up and down stairs wouldn't be a treat. Thoughts?

Also, in case it makes a difference, I'm about 6'2" and 220-230. The sizing still confuses me a bit, but I think based on my height that I should be looking in the 59-60cm or 23 inches range. Is that correct? I know it's best to try a frame out before buying, but buying used often means buying online.

Thanks so much for your help. Any ideas or guidance will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

CharmCityCycle said:
..I need to choose a bike. .. I've never found one that quite suited me...

If you're not a regular rider it's always a question of mutual adaptation. You need to get accustomed to the bike, and there might be things that needs to be adjusted with the bike before you get comfortable. But before you can say with any certainty what it is that needs to be changed you need to establish some sort of baseline.
If I've been off my MTB for a few weeks my shoulders will tense up after the first ride, but in mid season I have no such issues.

CharmCityCycle said:
..My last one was a Trek hybrid, which I ..never enjoyed much, and which required almost constant work to keep tuned up.
Lemons can come from any brand, I don't think Trek has it any better, or worse in that perspective.
Besides, what's on the bike, and how well it went on there is more important than what logo the frame is carrying.

There's a bit of rider influence as well.
Pads for rim brakes will wear as they're being used, if you insist on having "the same" feel in the brakes during each and every ride, then the brakes will need adjustment after each and every ride.
Likewise if you're cross-chaining and shifting under full load you can expect more complaints from the driveline than otherwise.

CharmCityCycle said:
..I like road bikes, but I hate the dropped handlebars. ..I also don't want to be as aggressively tucked forward as most road bikes seem to put you. What I'm thinking is, maybe buy a road bike and put a mustache bar, or bull horns on it, add some fenders,

Buy a poster of a road bike, then go buy yourself another hybrid. Maybe treat yourself to another stem if you want to get a tad lower. You can easily fit skinnier tires if you want.
Wanting to remove the drop bars and wanting to add fenders makes a road bike a fairly unsuitable starting point.(well, yeah, there are flat bar road bikes, and there are road bikes that can take fenders, and mustache bars play nice with brifters, and bullhorns isn't an issue if you're running DT shifters or don't mind a bit of bodging - still, if you're buying new, better buy a bike that have the features you want straight off the bat instead.

CharmCityCycle said:
....and a comfortable seat...
Saddles are even more a question of acclimatizing the rider. Even the best saddle will put more pressure on a smaller area of your butt than pretty much anything else you sit on. Getting used to one takes a little time, and to remain being used to it takes regular exposure.
Besides, expecting a saddle to be comfortable is IMO hoping for too much. I settle for "not going numb" and "not actually hurting".

CharmCityCycle said:
.. What bike to buy. ... I was thinking a used Cannondale....
If you found the upkeep of a Trek straight of the shop floor as a strain I'd advise not to buy used.

CharmCityCycle said:
.. Do you think it would be feasible to nab a used Cannondale in good condition, and have the above mentioned modifications done for under 1k,

Parts are much more expensive to buy separately than when assembled on a bike. Another reason to start with something as near the desired result as possible.

CharmCityCycle said:
...I was considering buying something vintage like Peugeot PX 10, or a Schwinn Paramount, and altering it a bit. But the weight does give me pause. ...I'm not going for ultimate performance. I'd like to be able to zip around town, but I'm not going to be donning any special clothes, or wearing shoes with built in clips anyway, so maybe the weight wouldn't be a big issue. .

When you're riding you need to consider the weight of the whole package, rider included. If you're 200+, a few pounds in the bike isn't going to make much difference.

CharmCityCycle said:
... I imagine ...lugging it up and down stairs wouldn't be a treat.
You've got a point there, but how many stairs and how often?
Picking a bike for its ease of carrying would require a very specific set of circumstances to make sense.

CharmCityCycle said:
...I do like the idea of a well made older steel bike, which could be more easily repaired if I messed it up.

True, for a given value of "easily". And frame/fork failures aren't that common. IMO not a high priority in the selection process.

I live in Essex, east of Baltimore city.

You may want to see what the Velocipede Bike Project Co-op has to offer. You may be able to build the bike that you want right at the co-op:

Velocipede Bike Project

It's a good way to learn about bike construction, which will make maintenance less of a mystery.

NoRacer said:
I live in Essex, east of Baltimore city.

You may want to see what the Velocipede Bike Project Co-op has to offer. You may be able to build the bike that you want right at the co-op:

Velocipede Bike Project

It's a good way to learn about bike construction, which will make maintenance less of a mystery.

Thanks for the tip. I've walked by Velocipede a number of times, while passing through Station North, but I've never gone in. Maybe I'll check it out. I find the concept a little intimidating, as I don't have much mechanical aptitude, but as you say, it would probably be helpful to learn. Cheers.

CharmCityCycle said:
I like road bikes, but I hate the dropped handlebars. Hybrids seem to cleave closer to mountain bikes in my experiences, what with the thicker tires.

Also, in case it makes a difference, I'm about 6'2" and 220-230. The sizing still confuses me a bit, but I think based on my height that I should be looking in the 59-60cm or 23 inches range. Is that correct? I know it's best to try a frame out before buying, but buying used often means buying online.
FWIW. I recommend you look at the RALEIGH XXIX+G as a possible bike ...

There are some drawbacks to a 29er, but a 29er will be more robust than a Hybrid ...

With a 29er, you can use almost ANY size tire that is intended for a 700c rim.

A 'L' 29er should be large enough for you, otherwise, you may want a road bike whose top tube is closer to 58cm ... regardless, if you choose a frame with a 58cm top tube or one with a longer top tube, you can adjust the "fit" by choosing a longer-or-shorter stem length.

With regard to drop bars on a road bike, you never have to use the drops ... the brake levers are designed to be used when the rider's hands are on the hoods ... and/or, you can add some auxilliary 'CX' brake levers (about $25-or-more-depending-on-the-brand at your bike shop) which mount on the horizontal part of the handlebar.

Check out the Cannondale website at Cannondale Bicycle Corp. . I would check under their Urban and Recreational bikes. The Adventure looks like it is what you are looking for. I don't know how much one costs but it seems to be their standard commuter so it is probably under $1000 new.

You can usually take a test ride at your LBS to see if you like the frame and then buy the bike off the internet. I would not return immediately to them though, with the bike to have it serviced:rolleyes:. After a few months, when they have forgotten that you took a test ride, you can probably take it to them if it needs servicing. Even if they do remember you, most shops that I deal with don't get upset if you considered buying new but found a great deal going used, just so long as they don't find out that they were used solely for a test ride.